swaybar size - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-05-2004, 08:02 PM Thread Starter

swaybar size

i was wondering what the difference in peformance was from the different sizes of the swaybars? i am looking to get a set but am not sure exactly what size i am looking for. also what would you compare the ride quality to with the different size bars?(when i say ride quality i mean does it ride like a truck when you are going straight down the road?)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-09-2004, 12:21 PM
MaleWhore

Send a message via AIM to smokymance
i was about to post the same question...

1997 MN12 Sport 4.6L Supercharged 5 Speed Sold
1998 Mark VIII LSC Teredor Red, Parts car, PM me
1998 Mark VIII LSC Pearl, Stock, Garage Queen
2000 Jeep XJ 4.0L Long Armed and Locked
2008 Yukon Denali 6.2L Supercharged
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-09-2004, 03:20 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to 96bird
Swaybar sizes

That gives you the swaybar sizes. The difference between the addco bars and your stock front bar are:

1 1/8 - 27% stiffer
1 1/4 - 94% stiffer
1 3/8 - 183 % stiffer

The stiffness is the diameter^4 assuming the bars are both solid (which the V8 bars are). I can only tell you numbers because I haven't got my bars yet. The rear bars are going to have even stiffer percentages in comparison to the addco bars. I don't remember what the formula is to change the torsional stiffness into spring rate right off the top of my head. Maybe someone will give a response on the increased stiffness on the street, but I think it will depend on the person as to how harsh it really feels to them.

Russell

JL's chassis braces, ST springs w/ 1 coil cut in rear (27.2" F 28" R), Airlift airbags (5 psi), Bilstein shocks, Cobra brakes F & R, ROH RT 17x9s, 255/285s Khumo Ecsta MX tires, 2.5" dual exhaust w/borla mufflers, 1 3/8 f & r bars, remote filter,subframe buildup, Al differential bushings, J-modded '02 tranny, 9.5" DD stall, 30K Hayden cooler, PI intake, 02 GT MAF, XCal 2

Want to talk/hangout with MN12 owners from GA? Go here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-09-2004, 05:17 PM
Heavily Medicated Crime Fighter

Send a message via AIM to Mark M. TCCoA VP Send a message via Yahoo to Mark M. TCCoA VP
It also has to do with the steel used and as I remember the 1 3/8" bars are 236% stiffer than the stock 15/16" hollow rear bar

Mark

"Mark M. TCCoA VP. Emeritus"

To the Batmobile ! ! !

ADDCO MN12 big bar R&D guru
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-10-2004, 10:31 AM
MaleWhore

which size would you guys recomend?

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-10-2004, 11:19 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

I guess it really just depends on what you want. I am going with 1 1/4 f/r kit. I know Mark M. loves his 1 3/8 f/r kit. If I had a choice I would rather use a 1 1/8 rear sway bar with the 1 1/16 front bar and use springs to increase roll stiffness, but since that isn't an option I have decided to bandaid the situation with 1 1/4 bars. I really wish that I could help you but I would say if you could find people that different swaybar setups on their car and drive their cars then you would probably be able to tell what you wanted better based on ride harshness and road handling. Sorry I can't be of any help.

Russell

JL's chassis braces, ST springs w/ 1 coil cut in rear (27.2" F 28" R), Airlift airbags (5 psi), Bilstein shocks, Cobra brakes F & R, ROH RT 17x9s, 255/285s Khumo Ecsta MX tires, 2.5" dual exhaust w/borla mufflers, 1 3/8 f & r bars, remote filter,subframe buildup, Al differential bushings, J-modded '02 tranny, 9.5" DD stall, 30K Hayden cooler, PI intake, 02 GT MAF, XCal 2

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-10-2004, 11:32 AM
MaleWhore

well, so far u have been great help...from what i understand, the bigger the tubing, the stiffer the car bodyroll resistence, am i right, and as you say, 1.25 does seem like a perfect everyday drivers better choise.

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-10-2004, 01:21 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
from what i understand, the bigger the tubing, the stiffer the car bodyroll resistence
Yes.

The object of the swaybar is to keep the weight from loading up on the outside tires. When you go through a corner I am sure you can feel the weight being transferred to the outside tires. You can use swaybars to match the front and rear outside tire loading. Having the front and rear sway bars matched ( not necessarily the size but their effectiveness) is important as well as a 50/50 distribution. Basically what I am saying about the effectiveness is the front bar might transfer 500 lbs, then you would want the rear bar to transfer the same amount of weight (given a 50/50 weight distribution). That would keep the car handling neutral through the middle of a turn with no oversteer or understeer. So if you make the front and rear swaybar (effectiveness) matched then a big sway bar such as the 1 1/4 bars would approx. half the degrees of body roll (ex. you have 4 degrees of body roll, now you have 2 degrees = big increase in cornering power) that your car experienced, which would keep some of the weight off the outside tires (which are the important tires in cornering). Every tire has a performance curve that has "traction available v. weight on the tire". It is not a linear relationship. So for example if you put 500 lbs on the tire it might have 625 lbs. of traction available which would give a g rating of about 1.25g's, but if you put 1000 lbs on that tire it might only have 800lbs. of traction available which would result in .80g's. This is of course assuming the tires can handle the traction. This is a VERY general example but I figured maybe this could help you understand what the purpose of swaybars really are. Tires will all have different performance characteristics but the important thing is realizing the principles behind the tire's ability to hold on to the road. I will talk more later if you have more questions, but I think that is plenty of reading for the moment.

Russell

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-11-2004, 09:28 AM
MaleWhore

thats is a very good detailed explanation...tell me how it goes when you get the sways installed on your car...getting them soon as im planning on getting new brakes since they are shot now. i see you guys are getting the cobra brakes, pm me where u guys are getting them from...and thanks a lot, you been great help so far

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in