I am thinking about Replacing the Shocks - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-09-2004, 03:32 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to gopedxr7
I am thinking about Replacing the Shocks

Well as the tittle says i am thinking about replacing the shocks. I just bought my 93 tbird and the ride is a little bouncy. Since my 86 Cougar was totaled i have been driving my parents new 2003 Impala LS and have been spoiled and pampered in it, while i was looking for a car. I have a few questions about replacing the shocks

I did the rear shocks in my 86 Cougar myself, easy as hell. But the 93 Tbird has the independant rear suspension, is the mounting of the shocks the same? I wont need a spring compressor or anything will I? Same of the front, will i need a spring compressor? Or is it a seprate shock and spring combination. I had a bad experience with a spring compressor in high school and i dont own one or ever want to use one again. Damn thing broke and sent the spring straight through a car door, i am still shaking from that. I am doing it all in my driveway with basic tools. If i need any special tools please tell me.

Lastly can someone recomend me some good shocks. Tell me the price too if you know of the cheap ones and good ones.

Alan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-09-2004, 04:04 PM
Cougar Pilot

The rear springs are definately easy to do, just 2 bolts on each shock.

The fronts are coil-over shocks, and you will have to remove the spring/shock assembly from the car and bring them to a shop that has a wall mounted spring compressor to mount the new shocks up. Expect to pay $10-20 for this.

As far as shocks OEM Ford shocks are as good as you should expect to get in the lower priced category. Bilsteins are great if you can justify $350 shocks, I can't.

TCCoA, there's no better way.
BlackCat94 - The Revolution.
1994 XR7 - Intake Tube, LMAF, March Underdrive Pulleys, J-Modded '00 Mustang Trans, Marauder T/C,
TruBendz 2.5" SS True Duals, Apten Flip Chip, FRPP 4.10s & Trac Lock, etc.

[email protected] with 3.27 gears
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-09-2004, 04:16 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally posted by BlackCat94
The rear springs are definately easy to do, just 2 bolts on each shock.

The fronts are coil-over shocks, and you will have to remove the spring/shock assembly from the car and bring them to a shop that has a wall mounted spring compressor to mount the new shocks up. Expect to pay $10-20 for this.

As far as shocks OEM Ford shocks are as good as you should expect to get in the lower priced category. Bilsteins are great if you can justify $350 shocks, I can't.
Thanks
Good the rears are easy.

I guess i could leave the car on jack stands for a little while, while i bring the front assembly to the shop. If i can get them to charge them for me $10-20 it will be worth it.

$350 for shocks? lol. They can keep them and shove them up their @$$. hahaha. I paid $30 each for the rears on my 86 Cougar.

Alan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-10-2004, 05:09 PM

Wellllll...that all depends on what you want out of your car!
I've spent closer to $600. on adjustable Koni's. Of course, I've always been more a "handling" guy than just a "go-fast" guy. But, I guarantee you any car, your Cougar included, will NOT handle as well with $30. "Acme Shock Co." units on it as it will with Bilsteins (which I've also used) or Koni's, etc.!
Of course, back when I spent that kind of money on car parts, I was young, dumb, and fulla...spare cash!?
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-10-2004, 05:42 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally posted by ChampagneTastes
Wellllll...that all depends on what you want out of your car!
I've spent closer to $600. on adjustable Koni's. Of course, I've always been more a "handling" guy than just a "go-fast" guy. But, I guarantee you any car, your Cougar included, will NOT handle as well with $30. "Acme Shock Co." units on it as it will with Bilsteins (which I've also used) or Koni's, etc.!
Of course, back when I spent that kind of money on car parts, I was young, dumb, and fulla...spare cash!?
I am more of a handling person, i live on long island so there are not many places you can go straight before you hit a turn. Used to love the way my 86 cougar handled turns. Turning is more fun anyway. But my Tbird is going to get me too and from school, plus its a 3.8, with 85,000 miles, i just got it, and i am the third owner. I dont have plans on making this car a project car, dont have the time or money. I have school to worry about.

But i am just looking for a good set of shocks under a hundred dolars for the front and under a hundred for the back. If anyone can recomend me a good brand i would apreciate it.

Alan
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-10-2004, 06:58 PM
Cougar Pilot

OEM MOTORCRAFT

Call Dan Newman at Joe Cooper Ford. I got a set of 4 shocks for $170 shipped.

1 (800) 266-6049

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in