Camber Kits - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-13-2004, 02:02 PM Thread Starter

Camber Kits

Hello all, I am TC Williams & I am pretty new here. I have a 97 Mark VIII & I just lowered it using the sensor relocating method. Do I need camber kits? The car is about 2-2.5 inches low in fron & about 1.5-2 inches low in rear. I am use to needing camber kits after lowering the car more than 1 inch. Where can I get some camber kits for my car? Would the Mustang happpen to use the same one? Someone please help me & thanks very much in advance!

My other question is does anyone else here get the ABS & Traction control indicator coming on if they have different series tires on the back than on the front? I have 50s on front & the stock 60s on rear. Dealer told me those lights are on because of that. Anyone have any feedback on that subject. Once again, thanks in advance!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-15-2004, 11:04 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to The Great Obucina
our cars dont have struts. The shock shock/spring position and alignment are not complimentary, that is, the position of the assy does not change alignment, the controls arms do. Also, it does not surprise me if you have light issues with the tires, the tires might have different rotation rates and may be throwing the sensors processing abilities off.

joseph

"Booyah". Stu Scott.
1996 Braincoated, all Aluminum PI powered and obscenely loud Pearl White Tbird [email protected] AKA Dyrdek.
2013 Black on black FX2 Supercrew Ecoboost F150. Roll onto the scene with the ceiling missing.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-16-2004, 01:32 AM

One thing that may alignment shops are unaware of is the upper camber adjusting bolts in the rear on the Mark VIII and T-Bird. They look like they don't do anything because the eccentric portion is on the inside and not visible, so shops often think the camber can't be adjusted to compensate for lowering in the rear, while in reality, it can. I'm not sure about your ABS issues. Lots of good info is also at www.mark8.org and www.markviii.org .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-16-2004, 11:23 AM Thread Starter

OK COOL! Thank you very much Joseph & John. I really appreciate the input. Cool that I dont need camber kits either. I will go ahead & get my Shift Kit & polyurethane rear end bushings then!!

thanks again guys
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-16-2004, 12:06 PM

ISUZUPERFORMA - you may not be able to get the camber in spec if you go lower than 1.5" - I think that's about the limit that can be adjusted out...

Also, if you're thinking of a shift kit, I'd recommend doing what's called the "J-mod" instead. Read up on the tranny articles in the tech articles here, (link is on the home page). The results are generally the same as with a shift kit, but done in a way that's much safer to the tranny, (spec'd by a Ford tranny engineer).
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-19-2004, 12:53 PM Thread Starter

Thanks John for the info on the J-Mod, I am going to read up on that as soon as I am done with this post. Question, how do I properly align my vehicle if I am lower than 1.5 inches? Meaning, with my imports if I lowered the car too much for the stock alignment equipment, camber kits were the answer. Would I need some sort of adjustable control arms? Are they available for the Marks? Would the Mustang or T-bird stuff fit? I dont know yet if I am getting uneven tire wear yet, but I like to have all my stuff done properly, you feel me? Thanks again John!!
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-19-2004, 01:06 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to 94 Daily Driven 4.6L
Keep in mind that the Mark VIII and the MN-12 have upper and lower A arms (is it actually a SLS (short long suspension)?) so when they are lowered it doesn't throw the alignment out as much as a lower A arm and strut suspension. But you’ve gone pretty low.

My recommendation would be to take it to an alignment shop that is familiar with the Mark VIII and see just where the alignment is now. Then go from there.

Not knowing your final performance destination, I would still recommend the following:

1. Clean the MAF and install New Plugs/Wires and all new filters

2. J-Mod and Transmission cooler (I think on the 97+, you don’t need to upgrade the piston, only drill the plate and put it back in)(Someone correct me on that if I’m wrong)

3. Gears (3.73’s w/Traction Lock as a minimum)

4. Chip.

You’ll love your Mark VIII!!

Just my .02!!

97 Lincoln Mark VIII LSC (Chip'd, 3.73 T/L... so far... )
97 Ford Aspire (Slow, but getting 36 mpg (f'n Ethenol!! )
84 F250 Dually w/6.9L Diesel (7.3L IDI pending)
73 Mercury Cougar Convertible w/351C 4V (Partially Restored)
69 F100 LWB w/460 Engine
76 Glastron Carlson 23' Jet Boat w/460 CJ Engine
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-20-2004, 08:42 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply 94 Daily..... I have already done the tune up using Rapid Fire Autolite plugs & Accel wires. I havent changed the fuel filter yet but I do have a drop in K&N. How do I clean the MAF sensor? With WD40 or something? The J-Mod I have been told to do, I just dont think I want to open up the tranny myself like that. I do most of my work but I dont want to mess up my tranny. I will leave that to a professional. About how many hours you think that mod takes? I can print out directions & have a tranny shot do it. Or would just having the shift kit installed be cheaper? I plan on doing a 3.55 or 3.73 locker rear swap, aluminum one piece drift shaft & all polyurethane everything on the car that is currently rubber. Thanks for your input though man, I appreciate it. I may be wrong on how low my car is. At times it seems to sit lower than other. Maybe it is when I have been on interstate & the car automatically lowers itself & when I get off the interstate & park it is still lower from that. I dont know. I will have to take it in for an alignment & see. Oh yeah, my car isnt the LSC so maybe that answers your SLS question....
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-20-2004, 08:59 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to The Great Obucina
Quote:
Originally posted by ISUZUPERFORMA
Thanks for the reply 94 Daily..... I have already done the tune up using Rapid Fire Autolite plugs & Accel wires. I havent changed the fuel filter yet but I do have a drop in K&N. How do I clean the MAF sensor? With WD40 or something? The J-Mod I have been told to do, I just dont think I want to open up the tranny myself like that. I do most of my work but I dont want to mess up my tranny. I will leave that to a professional. About how many hours you think that mod takes? I can print out directions & have a tranny shot do it. Or would just having the shift kit installed be cheaper? I plan on doing a 3.55 or 3.73 locker rear swap, aluminum one piece drift shaft & all polyurethane everything on the car that is currently rubber. Thanks for your input though man, I appreciate it. I may be wrong on how low my car is. At times it seems to sit lower than other. Maybe it is when I have been on interstate & the car automatically lowers itself & when I get off the interstate & park it is still lower from that. I dont know. I will have to take it in for an alignment & see. Oh yeah, my car isnt the LSC so maybe that answers your SLS question....
our suspension is called SLA..Sort/Long Arm. Moog sells a camber bolt for our cars that allows for more adjustment than stock. Also, for the rear, you can elongate the slotfor the camber adjustment bolt and dial in more camber to correct the issue if it becomes a problem. My reccomendation would be to find an independant alignment shop to do the alignment, Tire Kingdom and Tires Plus both "got my alignment perfect" and a chewed up a pair of BFGs. Took it to an indie place and 1 hour later they got it perfect....

joseph

"Booyah". Stu Scott.
1996 Braincoated, all Aluminum PI powered and obscenely loud Pearl White Tbird [email protected] AKA Dyrdek.
2013 Black on black FX2 Supercrew Ecoboost F150. Roll onto the scene with the ceiling missing.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-20-2004, 11:59 AM Thread Starter

Ok gotcha Joe, Tire Kingdom is right down the street from my job....thanks man!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in