ball joint seperation - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-15-2004, 12:06 PM Thread Starter

ball joint seperation

I have been having trouble keeping my car going straight on the highway, it has a 140k on it. I inspected my control arm ball joint boots yesterday and the boots are ripped on both sides. I plan on replacing the upper and lower control arms next week. Within the next few months I also need to replace the springs and shocks. If I change the control arms now and go to take it apart again in a few months can I seperate the ball joint without damaging the boots or will I need to replace the control arms again when I do shocks and springs? I would love to replace everything at once but I can't afford to @ this time, and I don't want to risk a ball joint failure by not replacing it now.
Thanks
-Ben
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-15-2004, 07:44 PM

You can replace uppers without damaging the balljoints, but I've yet to seperate a lower without trashing them.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-15-2004, 10:11 PM

you don't have to do anything w/ the lower control arms when replacing springs and shocks. you just need to disconnect 1 endlink and seperate the upper control arm and spindle and you can pull the spring/shock combo out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-03-2004, 10:58 PM
3rd Gear Poster

I agree with Rich, he replaced both my uppers and lowers. Once again, thank you Rich for helping me out while I was in Lawton. I'm back in ATL now where it is in the 70's! Screw that Ft. Sill weather.

Still around and in Georgia.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-03-2004, 11:36 PM

For the top: take the pinch bolt and pry the pinch apart with a prybar while you tap upwards on the arm with a plastic mallot. It will come out without ripping the boot unlike a pickle fork.

For the bottom: use a "Tie rod seperator" tool available at any autoparts store. You slip it over the stud and turn it with a wrench and it will pop it out of the spindle without damaging the boot.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in