FYI: KB RTLB and lowered bird - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-16-2004, 12:07 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to chrisnack
FYI: KB RTLB and lowered bird

Here's a pic for you guys. I would highly recommend JL's brace if you are lowered, even if you aren't lowered. He makes a good product, and his does not hang this low. As you can see in the pic, the brace is sitting pretty darn low. It's about 2 inches off the ground. I am lowered with Eibach springs, which is about 1.75 inch drop after they are settled. Running my winter tires right now, which are stock height (my summer tires are shorter).

NSN Motorsports
http://www.nsnmotorsports.com
"Fordless" - But I do have alot of Mercon V laying around...
'96 Eagle Talon ESI

Parts ---> Dan Newman - Town & Country Ford - 800-847-2047
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-16-2004, 12:53 AM
Iowa Chapter Director
Uber Luber
TCCoAAC Member

That's pretty darned low Chris. Looks like it could go about 1 1/2" higher than it is right now. Have fun over them speed bumps
-Thomas

1988 Notch Mustang: - 438W, direct port n2o, t56
2003 SVT Focus: - SCT X3 tuner
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-16-2004, 01:15 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
Originally posted by Thomas
That's pretty darned low Chris. Looks like it could go about 1 1/2" higher than it is right now. Have fun over them speed bumps
-Thomas
Speed bumps are the problem, since the brace is almost between the wheels. It's big bumps that cause the suspension to absorb alot. Or just a bump in the road between the wheels, that could be a problem. Not sure what I'm gonna do. Kind of poor design on KB's part, defenitely could have gone alot higher.

I don't think anyone not lowered would have a problem. Just us lowered folk are kind in a bind.

NSN Motorsports
'96 Eagle Talon ESI

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-16-2004, 09:33 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to 96bird
Quote:
Originally posted by chrisnack
As you can see in the pic, the brace is sitting pretty darn low. It's about 2 inches off the ground.
Two inches is REALLY low. I just drove through snow yesterday that was about 3-4 inches deep. I would have been raking the snow with me with that brace. I have to say TBird w/TLok + snow = 5 hours worth of very scary ride (it was only a 2 hour drive).

Russell

JL's chassis braces, ST springs w/ 1 coil cut in rear (27.2" F 28" R), Airlift airbags (5 psi), Bilstein shocks, Cobra brakes F & R, ROH RT 17x9s, 255/285s Khumo Ecsta MX tires, 2.5" dual exhaust w/borla mufflers, 1 3/8 f & r bars, remote filter,subframe buildup, Al differential bushings, J-modded '02 tranny, 9.5" DD stall, 30K Hayden cooler, PI intake, 02 GT MAF, XCal 2

Want to talk/hangout with MN12 owners from GA? Go here.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-16-2004, 10:25 AM
Eleventeenth Gear Poster

Its a little freaky driving behind someone with one of those braces. The Great Obucina has one of those and he is lowered with Eibachs. I was driving behind him once and he went over some train tracks....I thought he was gonna anchor himself with that thing

Sold = 96 Thunderbird
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-16-2004, 10:42 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
Originally posted by 96bird

Two inches is REALLY low. I just drove through snow yesterday that was about 3-4 inches deep. I would have been raking the snow with me with that brace. I have to say TBird w/TLok + snow = 5 hours worth of very scary ride (it was only a 2 hour drive).

Russell
Eh, only cuz you TN boys don't know what snow is. :-)

Yeah, I'm dragging it through snow, but it's a rather small thing compared to a 3800 lb force going 60 mph... you'll brake that brace off before it'll hinder you...

NSN Motorsports
'96 Eagle Talon ESI

post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-16-2004, 11:01 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
Originally posted by Aaron K.
Its a little freaky driving behind someone with one of those braces. The Great Obucina has one of those and he is lowered with Eibachs. I was driving behind him once and he went over some train tracks....I thought he was gonna anchor himself with that thing
Yeah i bumped it the other day going over some tracks. My buddy was behind me, he called me to let me know I smacked it. I was like "yeah... ummm.. I felt it...."

NSN Motorsports
'96 Eagle Talon ESI

post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-16-2004, 12:05 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to 96bird
Quote:
Eh, only cuz you TN boys don't know what snow is. :-)
Yep. It only took me probably about 3 1/2 hours, but I had to make a pit stop at a gas station (kind of a forced pit stop) for about an hour and a half. How the heck do you drive in the snow? I just keep it at about 30 and try to keep from sliding. That was only the second time that I had driven in the snow. I'm already wanting to move south.

Russell

JL's chassis braces, ST springs w/ 1 coil cut in rear (27.2" F 28" R), Airlift airbags (5 psi), Bilstein shocks, Cobra brakes F & R, ROH RT 17x9s, 255/285s Khumo Ecsta MX tires, 2.5" dual exhaust w/borla mufflers, 1 3/8 f & r bars, remote filter,subframe buildup, Al differential bushings, J-modded '02 tranny, 9.5" DD stall, 30K Hayden cooler, PI intake, 02 GT MAF, XCal 2

Want to talk/hangout with MN12 owners from GA? Go here.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-16-2004, 12:22 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
Originally posted by 96bird

Yep. It only took me probably about 3 1/2 hours, but I had to make a pit stop at a gas station (kind of a forced pit stop) for about an hour and a half. How the heck do you drive in the snow? I just keep it at about 30 and try to keep from sliding. That was only the second time that I had driven in the snow. I'm already wanting to move south.

Russell
I grew up in northern WI, I've been driving in snow as long as I've been driving. I prefer RWD in the snow. The only thing that sucks about RWD in the snow is hills, your kind of pooched if you stop on a hill, but a RWD car is a hell alot of easier to correct for slides and such, since your power and steering are on seperate wheel bases. Plus my racing experience comes into play for handling, sliding out doesn't phase me one bit, my buddy calls me crazy when i'm driving around in the snow, I slide around every corner, I love it, I have a complete blast driving around in teh snow. Maybe I'll take the camera out the next time and get some video. :-)

It's not the speed that matters, you just have to give yourself enough time to slow down, that's the mistake people make. It's harder to stop since you slide, but if you are driving straight, your not going to suddenly spin out unless you do something like accelerate too much. I usually turn traction control off so i have more control. With a RWD car, if you accelerate and start to slide out, take your foot off the gas and the car will correct itself. PLus you should never be hitting the brake really, until you know what you are doing, then you can use the brake to help control, but just slamming on the brake will do more harm than good.

All in all, it's all about knowing your car and how it handles, and what it will do in a given situation.

NSN Motorsports
'96 Eagle Talon ESI

post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-17-2004, 10:37 AM
MaleWhore

Send a message via AIM to smokymance
one queston...does the bracing make a noticable difference?

1997 MN12 Sport 4.6L Supercharged 5 Speed Sold
1998 Mark VIII LSC Teredor Red, Parts car, PM me
1998 Mark VIII LSC Pearl, Stock, Garage Queen
2000 Jeep XJ 4.0L Long Armed and Locked
2008 Yukon Denali 6.2L Supercharged
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-17-2004, 11:16 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
Originally posted by smokymance
one queston...does the bracing make a noticable difference?
Yes... the RTLB helps keeps your IRS inline during hard cornering...

STB is more noticable though due to the effect on steering.

NSN Motorsports
'96 Eagle Talon ESI

post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-18-2004, 09:36 PM

anyone have a pic of Johnny's piece installed?
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-19-2004, 09:09 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
Originally posted by supercatxr7
anyone have a pic of Johnny's piece installed?

NSN Motorsports
'96 Eagle Talon ESI

post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-19-2004, 10:36 AM

What size exhaust is that in the above pic?
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-19-2004, 11:42 AM

I don't know the design of the KB and can't see it in the photo, but is there no other way to mount that, say turning the whole thing 90 deg so it's horizontal and above your exhaust?
post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-19-2004, 12:01 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
Originally posted by soop
I don't know the design of the KB and can't see it in the photo, but is there no other way to mount that, say turning the whole thing 90 deg so it's horizontal and above your exhaust?
Umm... no... take a look at the way it mounts up and then look at your subframe, no way you can turn it. You culd probably fabricate something, but if the KB brace just came straight across it'd be fine. I'm fine with the brace, just might hit it every once in awhile, I'd prefer more clearance, but I'm careful driving around.

KB and JL's RTLB both use the holes already existant in the subframe to mount up. The top bolt goes through that hole, and then you use a plate to connect to the bottom of the RTLB essentially clamping it against the frame.

NSN Motorsports
'96 Eagle Talon ESI

post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-19-2004, 12:13 PM

I'm just looking at the photo of JL's brace and can't see where there would be an issue there to "swing" the KB brace up and back. What is in the way? I'd go look at my own, but it's not convenient at the moment. You could probably do away with the extentions.
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-19-2004, 12:36 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
I'm just looking at the photo of JL's brace and can't see where there would be an issue there to "swing" the KB brace up and back. What is in the way? I'd go look at my own, but it's not convenient at the moment. You could probably do away with the extentions.
JL's is already above the exhaust... no way you can swing the KB because of the way it mounts.. JL's mounts on the inside, the KB mounts on the other side of the subframe.

If the KB came straight across instead of the \_/ design, it'd be fine. On on a car that is lowered you'll be fine as well. The other thing ot remember is that the brace is just behind the wheels, so it's pretty hard to bump it.

NSN Motorsports
'96 Eagle Talon ESI

post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-19-2004, 12:37 PM

Not to change the subject. But does anyone have any pic's of JL front engine cradle bracing?
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-04-2004, 09:47 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to The Great Obucina
Quote:

JL's is already above the exhaust... no way you can swing the KB because of the way it mounts.. JL's mounts on the inside, the KB mounts on the other side of the subframe.

If the KB came straight across instead of the \_/ design, it'd be fine. On on a car that is lowered you'll be fine as well. The other thing ot remember is that the brace is just behind the wheels, so it's pretty hard to bump it.
kinda resurected this one. When I put the KB brace in, i dont have any problems....no scraping at all. I live across the street from a major shopping aread with lots of up and down pavement and speed bumps, i havent scrqaped yet. Also, I think it has to do with shock valving, your OE shcoks if you are using them may be worn out, I dont think ill bottom or scrape anything when the konis go on

joseph

"Booyah". Stu Scott.
1996 Braincoated, all Aluminum PI powered and obscenely loud Pearl White Tbird [email protected] AKA Dyrdek.
2013 Black on black FX2 Supercrew Ecoboost F150. Roll onto the scene with the ceiling missing.
post #21 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-04-2004, 09:50 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
Originally posted by The Great Obucina

kinda resurected this one. When I put the KB brace in, i dont have any problems....no scraping at all. I live across the street from a major shopping aread with lots of up and down pavement and speed bumps, i havent scrqaped yet. Also, I think it has to do with shock valving, your OE shcoks if you are using them may be worn out, I dont think ill bottom or scrape anything when the konis go on

joseph
I highly doubt that mine are worn out, but they might not damper the bump as well as the Koni's. My car has 69k on it, been stored every winter, nothing is worn out yet.

But yeah, I want some adjustable Koni's... it's on the list... one of these days I'll get them. My car sits pretty low with the Eibach kit though, i'm about 1.75" lower. It kind of depends on the road.

I've only scraped when there was a sharp dip in the road at a fast speed. Usually over railroad tracks.

NSN Motorsports
'96 Eagle Talon ESI

post #22 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-04-2004, 06:47 PM
High-Mileage 4.6L Thrasher

Quote:
The problem with that is the rear subframe where the piece bolts on at is angled from front to rear,and you're not going to rotate it up without seriously bending the brackets that the parts use to mount.
You might do that with those tin-foil KB parts..but I guarantee you'll never bend the brackets on my RTLB.
JL

1997 Thunderbird-4.6L/[email protected]
'05 F250 Crewcab 2WD-6.8L V10/5R110/4.10
2010 Lincoln MKT-3.5L EcoBoost V6/[email protected] stock
Fuelly
post #23 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-04-2004, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by supercatxr7
What size exhaust is that in the above pic?
That's the 2.5" ART setup without the rear ball/socket flanges.
It's from Mike Gilbert's car when we installed his brace.
JL

Fuelly
post #24 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-04-2004, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Red-Dragon
Not to change the subject. But does anyone have any pic's of JL front engine cradle bracing?
All you would ever want to see is here:
http://members.tccoa.com/jl1997bird/Chassis/
JL

Fuelly
post #25 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-04-2004, 10:59 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

I'm planning on grabbing some bracing from you JL once I get some more funding. I want to replace that RTLB with yours.

NSN Motorsports
'96 Eagle Talon ESI

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in