Control arm questions - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-25-2004, 03:29 PM Thread Starter

Control arm questions

My front end has started a serious squeak and creeking like an old door when I touch the steering wheel. The search came up with info on bad ball joints. Car has 115k, about 8 years old. Should I replace the upper and lower arms? Tie rods/bushings? I'm not too familiar with all the suspension parts. Also, the top of the shock in the engine bay moves about 2-3 cm when I rock the car. Is that a sign of wear?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-25-2004, 03:53 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Try greasing the tie-rods first. There should be a grease fitting on them. You may have to remove the wheel to access it.

Steve - TCCoA member
2003 Crown Vic LX Sport
1995 T-Bird LX 4.6 retired at 247,888 miles
Thanks for the ride !
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-25-2004, 11:39 PM Thread Starter

Can you spot the tie rod? How would a tie rod make my entire steering rack sound like an old door?

edit, figured out my tie rod stuff, I just need to confirm if there is a grease fitting. Anyone know?

Last edited by RyanG; 02-26-2004 at 12:41 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-26-2004, 05:10 PM

I have the exact same problem. I replaced both tie rod ends and it didnt do anything to help. I'm replacing both control arms tonight and i'm hoping it works and by the way your tie rod end is just to the left of #4/balljoint
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-26-2004, 06:56 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

My 95 T-Bird tie-rods came with grease fittings. The factory originals were straight grease fittings, and you had to remove the wheel to get the gun on them.

The aftermarket ones that I bought had a right angle grease fitting on them, and you can grease them with the wheel still on the car.

A tie rod is kinda like a ball joint, and when it gets dry, it can make eerie creaping and groaning sounds, which would rival those heard in a haunted house.

I am speaking from several first-hand experiences with them.

The noise will be heard as soon as you turn the steering wheel ANY amount.

Steve - TCCoA member
2003 Crown Vic LX Sport
1995 T-Bird LX 4.6 retired at 247,888 miles
Thanks for the ride !
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-26-2004, 07:12 PM Thread Starter

Ok I'm checking them tonight, and for some reason the sound went away. But either way im packing that thing with grease.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-02-2004, 08:36 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Mattscoug94
I have the exact same problem. I replaced both tie rod ends and it didnt do anything to help. I'm replacing both control arms tonight and i'm hoping it works and by the way your tie rod end is just to the left of #4/balljoint
Any updates since your replacement? Which arms did you replace?
The creeking came back even after greasing, so I'm going to ID the bad ball joint to see which arm has to be ordered. I hope its just one control arm and not all the ball joints.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-03-2004, 08:48 AM

Oh ya sorry about that i was gonna tell you guys that i did replace my drivers side control arm. Its been on for like 3 days now and i have not heard anything from it yet so that had to be it. If your gonna replace just one control arm i would suggest if there going bad replacing the tension strut bushings. Its #5 on the drawing. One for the front of the control arm and one for the back. Mine were terrible. Hope this works out for you and oh ya i you have trouble getting that ball joint out by a pitman arm puller i had it out in less than a min. and get your car an alignment too.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-03-2004, 11:45 AM

mine was doing the same thing..it was my contol arms..I just got 2 new ones put them on myself(wow it was a pain in the ***) I had a shop put grease fittings on them just for the hell of it. now no more squeaks
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-04-2004, 07:50 PM

I have been following this thread closely. I have the same problem, I had everything greased and the bushings sprayed down, they were kinda dry. Now it doesn't squeek as soon as you turn the wheel, however on any bump large or small I get a sound similiar but I think it's my springs. Is there a way to check them, besides the bounce test to see if it them?

Dave
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-04-2004, 09:04 PM

Ya mine would basically do it on every bump and turn especially big bumps. I dont think it would be the strut or spring unless the spring might be possibly cracked (just a guess) if i were you i would replace either the whole control arm or the ball joint or maybe if you wanna experiment try the stabilizer end links because those move with the turning motion.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-05-2004, 12:03 AM Thread Starter

So matt did you do the upper, lower, or both arms?
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-05-2004, 12:40 AM

I just did my lower drivers side control arm because i didnt have a ton of time. But i did have to replace the tension strut bushing because mine were hella bad. Its been almost a week now and no noises thank the lord
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-26-2004, 11:23 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

i would say with that many miles on them and that many years that i would just go ahead and strip the front end right down. inner and outter tie rods, lower control arms, struts, strut rod bushings, end links ( mine were rusted and snapped in half), and upper control arms. id put new shocks in the rear too, they're real easy to put in and if your putting in struts mine as well put in shocks. but all this is depending on how much cash you want to spend. you can save alot by doing to work yourself and its pretty easy to do. i think if you do tear it down you'll see that many of these parts are worn out and needed to be replaced, and you'll definitly notice how well your car will handle after there replaced.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in