Spring/Shocks Installation - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-16-2004, 06:31 PM Thread Starter

Spring/Shocks Installation

I will be installing the Sport Spring/Shocks combo this weekend.
Is the installation the same procedure as installing lowered springs like in this article:
http://www.mn12performance.com/mn12h...ng_springs.htm
If so, can I take both front spring/shocks out? Do I have to take them out 1 at a time like the article states to do. I will be taking them to a shop so they can install the shocks into the springs for me and I do not want to be going back and forth for each of the front spring/shock. I will probably be purchasing a shop manual, either the Chilton or Haynes. I know they both suck, but they are cheap. Which of the 2 manuals would you recommend or is there another better cheaper one?

Thanks
Oscar
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-16-2004, 06:40 PM
4th Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to Slippy103 Send a message via Yahoo to Slippy103
normally i would say chilton but for our cars i would get the haynes. the problem with the chilton is that it covers fox chassis (83-88) and mn12 (89-97). the haynes only covers the mn12. one chassis makes the manual much simpler. You can take them both out at once. make sure you go get an alignment after you get all done.

1996 Thunderbird LX: Current Project

1975 Corvette Stingray: 350 V8, TH350

2004 Dodge Dakota
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-16-2004, 06:45 PM Thread Starter

Great! I purchased a Service Manual CD from Ebay, but it didnt work correctly. I am sending it back

Thanks.
Oscar D.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-16-2004, 09:34 PM
Amateur Expert

Send a message via AIM to Embalmer
Quote:
Originally posted by 97Tbird-01GT
I will be installing the Sport Spring/Shocks combo this weekend.
If so, can I take both front spring/shocks out? Do I have to take them out 1 at a time like the article states to do. I will be taking them to a shop so they can install the shocks into the springs for me and I do not want to be going back and forth for each of the front spring/shock. I will probably be purchasing a shop manual, either the Chilton or Haynes. I know they both suck, but they are cheap. Which of the 2 manuals would you recommend or is there another better cheaper one?

Thanks
Oscar
I've got mine on jack stands awaiting our GP springs. I've got the right front shock/spring out and there is a VERY stubborn bolt holding my left front shock in place. I don't see why you couldn't do both at once.

2007 Ford Mustang GT Premium - SOLD March 2014.
2013 Ford Taurus SHO (TUXESHO) Tuxedo Black Bone stock for now.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-17-2004, 11:19 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the help guys. I actually got the CD that I bought from Ebay to work, apparently it doesnt work with Windows XP. It runs fine with Windows ME. It actually looks to be decent for a service manual.
Hey Embalmer, Love your car. I have seen your your webpage before and read all your write ups, good job. I am currently trying to find my annoying vibration. My suspension is tight, nothing loose at all. I think it might be my motor mounts, going to look at them this weekend when doing the shocks.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-18-2004, 12:42 PM
Amateur Expert

Send a message via AIM to Embalmer
Quote:
Thanks for the help guys. I actually got the CD that I bought from Ebay to work, apparently it doesnt work with Windows XP. It runs fine with Windows ME. It actually looks to be decent for a service manual.
Hey Embalmer, Love your car. I have seen your your webpage before and read all your write ups, good job. I am currently trying to find my annoying vibration. My suspension is tight, nothing loose at all. I think it might be my motor mounts, going to look at them this weekend when doing the shocks.
I went and bought the service manual from Ford. It is pretty beat up after the headswap! Thanks for the compliments. Can you narrow down the vibration? Does it happen in Park when giving it throttle? Or only going down the road?

2007 Ford Mustang GT Premium - SOLD March 2014.
2013 Ford Taurus SHO (TUXESHO) Tuxedo Black Bone stock for now.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-18-2004, 01:35 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to The Great Obucina
Quote:
dont forget to check the transmission mount also. When I had my 4R changed out, I gave the mechanic a new trans mount, my old one was split in half.

joseph

"Booyah". Stu Scott.
1996 Braincoated, all Aluminum PI powered and obscenely loud Pearl White Tbird [email protected] AKA Dyrdek.
2013 Black on black FX2 Supercrew Ecoboost F150. Roll onto the scene with the ceiling missing.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-18-2004, 07:42 PM Thread Starter

No vibration at park, just going down the road. It’s strange though; it doesn’t vibrate at the same speed every time. One day it might vibrate at 50-65, another day it might vibrate from 65-75. I also noticed that when the road is smooth I have no vibration, maybe a little but almost smooth. When I go through uneven pavement, then it vibrates. I am guessing the mounts since everything else is tight. When I apply the brakes there is no vibration at all, I just installed mustang calipers and new brembo rotors 3 weeks ago. I have never replaced my mounts so I am betting it’s them. I have 178K on my motor right now. The motor still runs good and strong, I am very impressed by it. I don’t race it at all, that’s what my mustang is for, but I do use it a lot due to my job. I will also be replacing the tranny mount if I replace the motor mounts. Do you guys have any recommendation for the motor mounts? I read that the motor mounts from mn12performance are good, how about the OEM’s. I will probably get the tranny mount from Napa since they are cheaper, plus I believe they are also solid rubber mounts. I don’t look forward to replacing the mounts but I have a friend with a hoist, I am sure it will be easier that way. Hope he is not using it when I need it.

Oscar D.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-19-2004, 06:30 PM
Veteran Poster

I have some springswap tips.
#1. The front lower bolts slide through a split sleeve. if the bolt wont come out, find the slit and hammer something sharp in there to spread it, bolt slides out.

#2. the chiltons says to remove something form the spindle, the endlink or something, it also tells you to remove the upper control arm-to-spindle bolt. Both are useless. i used a long prybar to push the lower control arm assy far enough for the strut to slide right out.
good luck

94 V8 on 17" custom paint, R.I.P
97 Mark VIII LSC yeah
08 Ford Edge, white for now
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-19-2004, 08:17 PM Thread Starter

Thanks modbird, I just finished taking the spring assembly out about 10 mins ago. Tomorrow I will take them to the shop to have the new ones mounted for me. Your right about #1 & #2 , I didnt have to remove them at all. It took me 1 hr to remove both fronts, it wasnt as bad as I thought.
I hope the rears are as easy. I wont get to them until Sunday, unless I have time tomorrow to do them, to many parties I promised to go to. I totally forgot about them , but I am not going to rush this either. I did the fronts first so that I can have the spring mounted for me since the majority of the shops around here are closed on Sunday. I will have the fronts done tomorrow though. I will take my car to Sears Sunday for the alignment. Thats all that rip off place gets my money for
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-20-2004, 07:43 PM
Veteran Poster

Glad to hear it was quick, took me 3 days to remove the fronts, wasnt aware of the sleeves. The rears are so easy its friggn funny. Dont forget shorter rear endlinks, although i didnt get em yet, its been three years, rides awesome.

Also, dont be dissapointed by the drop when its done, over time, itl drop more and more.

94 V8 on 17" custom paint, R.I.P
97 Mark VIII LSC yeah
08 Ford Edge, white for now
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-20-2004, 10:28 PM Thread Starter

Thanks again modbird.
I am not lowering my car, I am installing sport shocks and springs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in