KYB Strut/shock mount - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-05-2004, 02:31 PM Thread Starter
5th Gear Poster

Send a message via MSN to BlownSix Send a message via Yahoo to BlownSix
KYB Strut/shock mount

Anyone use this?

http://www.tirerack.com/suspension/s...26+Shock+Mount

I will hopefully be doing my front shocks, springs all the way around, upper (and maybe lower) control arms, and rear sway bar this Saturday. Does anyone recommend another shock mount other than this one?

Black '94 SC 5-Speed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-05-2004, 04:18 PM

https://www.rockauto.com

Bought mine for $19.78 (each. two required.) P/N: 665322

Shipping was like $7
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-05-2004, 07:37 PM
PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to 94TchikinV8 Send a message via Yahoo to 94TchikinV8
When/If you do your lower control arms, check the "tension strut bushing" (I think this is what it's called) that goes through the hole in the lower control arm. I did my upper and lower control arms this weekend annd had to make an extra trip to town to get these bushings because mine were pretty far gone. Definitely plan on getting a good four wheel alignment done too.

1994 Thunderbird LX V8

Still in pieces in the garage awaiting body work, paint, and a drivetrain...

Currently driving a 98 Mustang GT convertible:
02 Explorer engine, Comp 262ah cams, Steeda underdrives, aftermarket H-pipe with high flow cats, SLP LM1 exhaust, MGW shifter, RAM clutch
[email protected], 2.17 60ft(stock 2.73s, worn-out trac-lok)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-19-2004, 09:08 PM

Shock mount and boot. What did you all use for shock boots? Can anyone recommend a source for shock mounts and boots that will work with these Bilstiens?

Scot
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-26-2015, 04:58 PM
̇

Garage
What Brand Shock Mount?

Ford no longer manufacturers the (front) Shock Mounts for our cars..

What brand of (front) Shock Mounts are the most reliable?

What are you guys using, or recommend?
140.jpg

Rayo..

1991 Ford Thunderbird Sport

"If you don't know where you're going..Any road will take you there." George Harrison

Last edited by Rayo; 08-07-2017 at 07:56 AM. Reason: update pic..
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-26-2015, 10:56 PM
5th Gear Poster

I just finished doing new springs and shocks on my '92 today. Bilstein rears and Tokico fromts with Vogtland 0.9" lowering springs. I destroyed the balljoints called out for removal on the front spndles top and bottom with a fork (rubber seals at least). I put it all back together and will be shopping for upper and lower control arms and the sway bar to spindle joint.

I bought my strut mounts from Rock Auto on closeout and mistakenly bought new rubber for the bottom of the struts. The Tokico struts came with new rubber glued to the bottom of the strut. The Tokico springs are machined to a flat surface on the end with narrow spring coil gaps. I put those to the top strut mount and the bottom was standard cut coil end and it fit the non-flat strut well on the bottom.

I finished with a noise left front that I think came from mangling the sheet metal just behind the brake rotor with BFH. I'll be checking out the noise tomorrow.

1992 Tbird LX 5.0, 3.73 gears, 1995 Cobra intake, deleted air silencer, 2.5" mandrel bent dual exhaust, SCP shorty headers. Updated four-hole fuel injectors. SK shift kit in AOD. Vogtland 0.9" springs, Tokico and Bilstein shocks.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-27-2015, 07:47 PM
PostWhore

Send a message via Yahoo to dmw_4814
"Sheet metal behind the rotor" - are you talking about the rotor splash shield? If so, just bend it back into shape by hand. It's very thin metal & easily pliable. Just make sure it's not contacting the rotor surface itself.

Dennis
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-27-2015, 08:21 PM
̇

Garage
What brand of (front) Shock Mounts are you guys using?

Any particular brand I should stay away from?

How many miles do you have on your (front) upper Shock Mounts since installing them?

Rayo..

"If you don't know where you're going..Any road will take you there." George Harrison
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-27-2015, 09:55 PM
5th Gear Poster

Rayo:

I bought my car roughly 15 years ago with 97K on the odometer. It drove like a boat so I hired out the new shock install. I got CARQUEST front struts from Schwab and I felt too poor to buy new mounts. My boat continued to drive like a boat for the last fifteen years and sqrunched when I went over any speed bump. Tonight, with new mounts struts and springs there's no sqrunch.

On my strut mount box it says Duralast #142222. I thought they were on closeout and may not be available. They were flat at the spring contact area and looked like they were made for the flat end on the Vogtland springs. Other smaller numbers were C08482 and 99999A1.

I only have 10 miles from my second test drive but there is no more schrunch.

My mounts did not fit exactly. I had to bend a bolt in about 1/8 in. to get all three started on the fender holes easily. When they are cinched up the base fit pretty well. I put a nut on the bolt and hammered the nut a bit an viola. Easy compared to cranking on spring compressors with no stable way to hold them still.

1992 Tbird LX 5.0, 3.73 gears, 1995 Cobra intake, deleted air silencer, 2.5" mandrel bent dual exhaust, SCP shorty headers. Updated four-hole fuel injectors. SK shift kit in AOD. Vogtland 0.9" springs, Tokico and Bilstein shocks.

Last edited by Rodeo Joe; 04-28-2015 at 02:27 AM. Reason: Merged posts
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-27-2015, 09:59 PM
5th Gear Poster

Dennis:

It was rubbing and I straightened it out and no more rubbing. All is good so far on the second test drive. Thanks for the input. My old springs had a tag that said 5450 max or something. I do think the new springs lowered the car a bit and there is less pitch and roll (new is stiffer).

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-27-2015, 11:38 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to Chris_Murder
I went with TRW years ago when I redid my suspension. No issues with them at well over 50,000 miles and at least 6 years.

-1996 Pearl White Thunderbird 4.6 Sport 4v with many mods:
Current Best: 13.583 @ 103.74 10/2014.
227hp/241tq measured on calibrated mustang dyno, tested at full vehicle simulation with inertia enabled, no number skewing.
-2001 White Ford F-250 Super Duty 6.8 V10, 4-door, 4x4, Limo Tint, BFG KO2's, Bilstein 7100 Remote Reservoir Race Bypass Shocks, 6" Spring lift, Kenwood Double Din, K&N Intake, FlowMaster Exhaust
Amber_Murder's Daily Driver.
-2005 White GMC Sierra 3500 6.6 Duramax, Dually, 4-door, 4x4, Limo Tint, BFG Commercial T/A's, Rancho RS9000XL Shocks, Kenwood Double Din, K&N Intake, Banks Monster Exhaust
Chris_Murder's Daily Driver.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-28-2015, 05:09 PM
̇

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordonm1 View Post
Rayo:

I bought my car roughly 15 years ago with 97K on the odometer. It drove like a boat so I hired out the new shock install. I got CARQUEST front struts from Schwab and I felt too poor to buy new mounts. My boat continued to drive like a boat for the last fifteen years and sqrunched when I went over any speed bump. Tonight, with new mounts struts and springs there's no sqrunch.

On my strut mount box it says Duralast #142222. I thought they were on closeout and may not be available. They were flat at the spring contact area and looked like they were made for the flat end on the Vogtland springs. Other smaller numbers were C08482 and 99999A1.

I only have 10 miles from my second test drive but there is no more schrunch.
You may not notice it "scrunching" right now because it's starting to warm up outside, but I had that "scrunch" sound at one point as well..

Turns out it was my front upper control arms..

After I had the Ford dealership change those out for me..I had no more "scrunchy" sounds going over speed bumps on cold mornings..

Oh, and thanks for the Duralast part number..

Rayo..

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-28-2015, 05:15 PM
̇

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_Murder View Post
I went with TRW years ago when I redid my suspension. No issues with them at well over 50,000 miles and at least 6 years.
Thanks..Are TRW even available anymore?

I think they've been discontinued?..

TRW was going to be my second choice after I found out that Ford had discontinued the Motorcraft versions..

If I can find a pair of the TRW versions in stock somewhere..I'll probably go with those..

Anyone tried the Moogs?

Rayo..

Last edited by Rayo; 04-28-2015 at 06:20 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in