anyone that knows about hydrolics please read - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-08-2004, 07:44 PM Thread Starter
Hittin' Switches

Send a message via AIM to musto
anyone that knows about hydrolics please read

hey.
i know that people usually say air bags are a better way to go... but i had a couple questions that maybe someone can answer...

with air bags when you let air out of the bags to lower the car, it makes that real loud "TiSSSSSS" sound. do hydrolics make any noise when lowering or raising them?

also,,,how expenive are they to maintain? i hear people saying that if unless they are installed well, they can have problems everytime you turn around, but i would think the same would apply to anything.

also, how good/bad is the ride? is it livable as a daily driver?

Thanks alot"

Matt
[email protected]
AiM: MMM0513
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-08-2004, 08:55 PM

You can hear the hydraulic pump whine whenever you move the cylinders. My best friend in High School had an S-10 with hydros, and he ended up taking them off, they were too hard on suspension pieces. (Ever had a tire pass you on the highway?) He had major problems with balljoints, and broke quite a few of them. Hydros ride like crap, period. Airbags ride really good as long as you have a moderate amount of air in them. I would choose airbags any day of the week, and most people would agree with me, that's why you see more and more cars with airbags, and less with hydros.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-08-2004, 09:18 PM Thread Starter
Hittin' Switches

Send a message via AIM to musto
Quote:
Originally posted by Rich95XR7
You can hear the hydraulic pump whine whenever you move the cylinders. My best friend in High School had an S-10 with hydros, and he ended up taking them off, they were too hard on suspension pieces. (Ever had a tire pass you on the highway?) He had major problems with balljoints, and broke quite a few of them. Hydros ride like crap, period. Airbags ride really good as long as you have a moderate amount of air in them. I would choose airbags any day of the week, and most people would agree with me, that's why you see more and more cars with airbags, and less with hydros.
when you say ride like crap... is it decent enough to drive? the reason i ask is i saw this tight car the other day, and its for sale, but it had hydros instead of bags, so i dont really have a choice as to which one to go with if i bought the car, but is it good enough to drive and not be embarassed if someone is ridin with you?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-08-2004, 09:20 PM
PostSkank

Send a message via AIM to StupidFly
go find out... take it for a test drive

math > pasta
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-08-2004, 10:42 PM
2nd Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally posted by Rich95XR7
Hydros ride like crap, period. Airbags ride really good as long as you have a moderate amount of air in them. I would choose airbags any day of the week, and most people would agree with me, that's why you see more and more cars with airbags, and less with hydros.
not much truth to that statement. as far as ride quality goes, most people choose bags over juice because it is easier to get a "better" or "good" ride. hydros can ride just as nice or better than bags given the proper setup. there are many different approaches with some being better than others. it's all about the install. often times hydro setups do not use any type of springs or anything to provide a nice ride.

hydros are prone to more problems than bags but provided a proper install and general maintenance you should not have any more problems than with bags.

low, loud, and proud!

-www.baggedbirds.com
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-09-2004, 02:03 PM

OK, I do suspensions constantly, and have yet found a hydro setup that I could stand to drive on a daily basis, but every airbag car/truck I've built rides like a caddy. That's the truth, if you don't like it, go put hydros in, and you'll see what I mean.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-09-2004, 03:20 PM
2nd Gear Poster

ok, i've done my share of suspensions and have rode in enough bagged and juiced cars/trucks to say that a hydro setup can ride as nice as bags. it all depends on the install. as i said, it is much easier to get a good ride with bags but it can be done with hydros. i've been in bagged cars/trucks that ride like crap too. that's the truth so if you don't like it, try a different setup with your hydros!

low, loud, and proud!

-www.baggedbirds.com
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-09-2004, 06:51 PM

alright fellas ive been bagged and ive been juiced on my bird i had more problems with bags then i ever thought about having with juice i had over 4 bags blow out on me in a year and a half and went threw 2 compressors and road like strait *** ,i had one shop do my bags and one do my juice,maybe be why one messed up so damn much but the other shops looked at it and said they have no clue why it kept messin up , so i went back to my roots since ive owned a few juiced rides ,ever since its been juiced the only problems ive had was a seal went out in one of the cylinders and it cost me like 2 bucks to replace it other then that no problems at all with the juice and my car rides better then my 2003 harley davidson f150 does ,my car has accumulators on each pump ,i guess there is ups and downs on either one but i have not had many downs since ive had juice and i get more lift then bags and i never run out of air unless they have nitrogen ,i have to charge my batteries as much as some would have to fill then nitrogen tank , sorry if this gets anyone mad with bags not my intentions at all , david
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-09-2004, 07:03 PM

How often do you need to recharge the batteries?
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-09-2004, 07:12 PM

maybe once a month or every other week if im playing with them all day and nite when im out crusing a few weekends in a row
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-09-2004, 08:57 PM
2nd Gear Poster

Thank you David!

low, loud, and proud!

-www.baggedbirds.com
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-10-2004, 01:00 AM
drag-aholic

david - you have a spring in the rear lower arm right? so no matter where your height is you always have a quailty ride and the accumulators help also i would guess? is that right?

to rich i think the bad ride stigma, is associated from the old days when most hydro installs ran 2-3 ton coils. now people are using a cut down stock coil and less voltage and gear speeds. this would slow them down and keep from ripping the car apart.

i almost went with a hydraulic cylinder in the front when i was having trouble getting the front to work on air. i drove my bird daily for 4 years bagged. like was said its all in the install.

musto - check out that car you were looking at. if they have no springs or accumulators in it and it is just a cylinder to the suspension, run away from it! it WILL ride bad. the fluid in the cylinder will not compress to give you a ride quality.

1989 LX Full Air Suspension
Owner / Operator BAGGEDBIRDS.com
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-11-2004, 10:08 AM

yeah scott i have 3 coils on the rear in my lower control arm that my cylinder sits on and my accumulators are always compressed so it rides good at all times .

when people say that juiced cars/trucks ride like crap its normally a old school car/truck with 3ton hopping springs that are made to do just that hop when they hit something not give u a good ride now the are designed to now ,my brother had a 87 box chevy with 3 ton hoppin springs on the front and u could bounce the car by just pressing on the front ,without even hitting the switches ,this was back in like 98 when gold center daytons and box chevies were cool ,he had 6 pumps and 18 batteries on it starit dancing car

yeah man if u dont have mini coils in the front or any kind of coil at all in a car i will ride like *** slammed or lifted to the max only way it rides ok is in the half way point but with mine the coils act like a matress to give u a softer ride on bigger bumps ,accumulators is a must when u go with juice if not it will ride like a 82 pinto with cut springs well hope some of this helped , david

Last edited by juicedtbirdondubz; 04-11-2004 at 10:13 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in