Installing front shock/spring question?! - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-10-2004, 09:48 AM Thread Starter

Question Installing front shock/spring question?!

OK, I've got a "theoretical" question that started from a discusssion I was having with a buddy, that evolved into an argument, and finally a bet. I'm hoping an answer from a "third party" (or parties) here will put it to rest. Here goes:
Can the front shock and spring assembly be removed, and a new set of shocks and lowering springs be installed without the use of a spring compressor, or any other "compressing" method?
In other words, can you take the shock/spring off as a unit (no compressing there, obviously)? Then, being that the lowering springs are shorter than stock, could the new springs then be mounted to the shock so that the upper mount could be attached (again, without compressing the springs)? And then install the whole unit to the car, no compressing needed?
Please ring in guys!

(And yes, I know I'm making some dumb sounding, obvious statements here, but I'm trying to clear any further questions in this on-going argument I'm having, covering all aspects, without tipping my hand to either side of the debate. The plan is that my bud can read this, and the responses here, and we can get this over with! Thanks!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-10-2004, 10:24 AM

*Theoretically* you could remove the assembly as a unit, then unscrew the top bolt, but I'd be willing to bet the assembly would then fly apart. And I doubt even shorter springs could be mounted on the assembly without compressing them first. In reality, you need a compressor to remove/replace the springs from the assembly, but not for taking the assemblies out of the car.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-10-2004, 11:00 AM Thread Starter

Right, but I'm talking strictly of taking the old unit out as a whole, and installing a new setup.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-10-2004, 04:46 PM

Just taking them in and out? I certainly wouldn't want to use a spring compressor for anything if they're on the car. You take the assemblies out, then use the compressor for changing the springs while out of the car.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-10-2004, 04:57 PM Thread Starter

OK, you're missing the point. Let's say we've established you can get the old unit out of the car with no spring compressor. Forget about them now.
Can you assemble and install a whole new set of shocks and lowering springs without a compressor?
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-10-2004, 05:26 PM

Send a message via AIM to JustinH
no.

You need to use a wall mounted spring compressor for the front springs.

The shock and the spring come out as an assembly, and you need the wall mounted unit to decompress and compress the assembly.

For the rear springs you don't need to compress them, you just remove the old spring and put in the new one.

Get new spring rubbers while you are at it and plenty of lithium grease to keep mr. squeek away.

JH
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-10-2004, 07:13 PM

What Justin said. ^^^^^
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-10-2004, 10:04 PM

I think what CT is saying is that he want to take the old assembly out and then toss the whole thing. Finis. Doesn't want it anymore, and then starts with all fresh new parts.

Can then all the new parts (shoch, spring, and upper shock mount) all be put together?

I wouldn't think so. I don't think there is any spring, when uncompressed, that would fit between the spring mount on the shock and the upper shock mount without a compressor.

Remember the spring isn't always at the uncompressed length. When the assembly is on the car, the weight of car compresses it, so there isn't as much stress on the retaining nut on the upper mount (even though the nut still holds onto the shock for dampening).
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-11-2004, 11:36 AM Thread Starter

DING DING DING!! Astaeroth, you're right on the money! That's EXACTLY the information I'm looking for. (Besides the fact that, as I said, this is a "theoretical" question to settle a bet, not something I'm about to do!)

It is my contention that there is no way you can assemble a new shock, spring, and upper mount together without compressing even a "lowering" spring, because even if it's shorter than the stock unit, its NOT short enough to be mounted without compression, to some degree (cut coils notwithstanding). I was just looking for a third party confirmation of that fact to settle a bet with a friend.

Thanks again, Astaeroth...and for the rest of your input, guys.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-11-2004, 11:44 PM
4th Gear Poster

Cool

Just did my springs and shocks all around , No dont need the spring tool at all , what you do is this , drop the lower A arm , unbolt the lower shock , split the upper A arm ball joint , split the sway bar end links , I bought new ones . and the whole assy. should fall off as mine did , easy to do . If your close to Indiana , come on by will show ya hows its done . rear is unbolt the lower arm , and the sway bar end links , un bolt the shock , a arm will drop . use a 2nd small jack for the pressure when your ready to drop the A arm , due to the spring load . Then I used a pry bar to help work out the spring at the bottom to come out , just keep a down load on the lower A arm to help drop the spring out . Any one looking for a super good set of springs and shocks , ready to bolt back on , from my one owner SC car , I just lowered the car . let me know , Thanks, DW

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in