Got some of my suspension done! - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-11-2004, 08:58 PM Thread Starter
5th Gear Poster

Send a message via MSN to BlownSix Send a message via Yahoo to BlownSix
Talking Got some of my suspension done!

Yesterday my boyfriend and I installed new upper control arms, Eibach springs, and the Bilstein front shocks. Only bad thing about the shocks was one of them had bad threads or something. I was watchin' the young dude try to get the mount on the new spring and shock and he starts grinding something and then he takes a blow torch to it! I said "Wtf are you doing!?" And he tells me that the threads are messed up and he was heating the nut so it would expand, blah blah. I will try to get some pics of it tomorrow. The middle shaft of the shock is supposed to be seen when you pop the hood. Well, you can't see one of mine. He had to grind off the top part and about 4 threads. The nut is still holding fine and he said that I could come back in about 2 weeks (when his welder gets back from being repaired) and he would put a bead weld on it for added safety. One of my boyfriend's shocks is done the same way and it has held up fine. I was just really worried 'cause the Bilsteins are discontinued.

Anyway, today my boyfriend installed the rear springs (no Bilstein shocks yet) and my 1 1/8 anti sway bar from SuperCoupe Performance. She handles much better now and I absolutely love the stance. I have 245/60/15's all the way around for right now and it looks awesome. I can't wait to get my 17's.

I still have some knocking and clunking going on in the front suspension. I hope that will get taken care of when I replace every single little bushing under there with polyurethane ones. That should be taken care of within the next month or so.

Black '94 SC 5-Speed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-12-2004, 09:34 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to 96bird
Your combination of suspension pieces sounds good. Polyurethane bushings are not really a good way to go on ALL of your bushings. It's your car though... Pics are a must.

Russell
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-12-2004, 09:46 AM Thread Starter
5th Gear Poster

What would you say not to replace with polyurethane ones?
It's going to rain here for the next day or so but when it stops I'll get her all cleaned up (pollen!!!) and snap a few pics.

Black '94 SC 5-Speed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-12-2004, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by racer94lx
It's going to rain here for the next day or so but when it stops I'll get her all cleaned up (pollen!!!) and snap a few pics.
i know whatcha mean...my car is yellowish green right now
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-12-2004, 12:08 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to 96bird
I would just use polyurethane for mounts (ex. swaybar mounts, endlinks, etc.). Polyurethane is OK for bushings that are only rotational. I would rather use nyliner for those though (even though they would have to be custom made). The nylon bushings are overkill for a street car, even ones that see mild track duty. The real bad thing about the poly is lubrication. The grease just gets washed away too easily and then the bushing binds because it sticks. I am going to stick with the rubber bushings except on the aforementioned mounts. I just figured that I would give you an FYI.

Russell
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-12-2004, 12:11 PM

does it doesnt handle weird with new shocks in the front only?
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-12-2004, 10:13 PM Thread Starter
5th Gear Poster

Hmm, I'll definately have to think about that. Thanks for the heads up.
Nah, it doesn't handle weird or feel weird with just the new Bilstein's up front. I've got Monroe gasmatic or something in the rear and they are only 1 1/2yrs old, but I did order some rear Bilstein's today. The place I'm getting them from PROMISED they could get them. I hope so.

Black '94 SC 5-Speed
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-13-2004, 12:40 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to 4 Cam Bird
I had new shocks only on the rear of my car for a short while. Put them on when I got them and didn't have time or tools for the fronts at the time. Didn't feel weird at all. But my front shocks weren't blown, they still had some rebound and compression to them when I took them off.

Former owner of 94 Bird with DOHC 4.6L swapped from a mark VIII

2011 CTS-V Wagon
1968 Torino was an original 289, C4, fully documented numbers matching car. Now: DOHC 4.6L/T-56 swapped, Cobra intake, IMRC delete, BBK long tubes and H pipe. Dynotech Aluminum Driveshaft, 9" rear with TrueTrac and 4.11's.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in