springs on but...struts? - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-15-2004, 09:34 PM Thread Starter

springs on but...struts?

Ok, i got the car lowered with eibachs now but whenever i hit bumps or if im going fast down a smooth road but the road isnt flat the left tire rubs the fender. it cracked and chipped and is chipping the pain off the edge of my fender. Dows anyone else have this problem or do i need new struts. I put on kyb gr2 gas ones about 6 months ago shuldnt they still be good? I duno if they r good to begiune with but thats wut i alreayd had and i figured they would still work? If i change them will it stop the rubbing? thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-15-2004, 10:09 PM
4th Gear Poster

Cool

Sounds like you may have the wrong shocks , try another set , just make sure their for the SC bird . And are a good name brand , no junk, better to do this one time . DW
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-15-2004, 10:28 PM Thread Starter

which brands r good? and mine isnt an sc. Do i still look for ones for an sc? I have 17x9 cobra r's and they rubbed so i had to install a small spacer. it makes the wheel come out slightly more than the fender. is it becuase of that? and also the fender is cutting the sidewalls of my tire
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-15-2004, 10:55 PM

that would be my guess ... check around, see if someone wants a set of 9's in exchange for something smaller .... just the fronts tho ... wider rears are always nice
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-16-2004, 12:45 AM
Cougar Pilot

Thumbs down

Everything I've heard about KYB's for our cars indicate they suck. That's probably your problem.

TCCoA, there's no better way.
BlackCat94 - The Revolution.
1994 XR7 - Intake Tube, LMAF, March Underdrive Pulleys, J-Modded '00 Mustang Trans, Marauder T/C,
TruBendz 2.5" SS True Duals, Apten Flip Chip, FRPP 4.10s & Trac Lock, etc.

[email protected] with 3.27 gears
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-16-2004, 03:14 AM
Veteran Poster

Send a message via AIM to CamellionCat
ok basically i dont know why your using a spacer, b/c i have 17x9 cobra r's on my 95 cougar and i have no rubbing whats so ever. I am running 245/45/17 up on front what size tires are you running????? im also going to install kyb up on front since i already installed the rear ones, i figuered what the hell might as well. I really dont thing that your shocks is the problem, i think the spacer is, try removing the spacers. Also im running stock shocks up on front with H&Rs and theirs no rubbing whats so ever.

my 2 cents.

CamellionCat

95- Cougar- SOLD (in loving memory)
Mods-17x9 cobra r's,H&R springs,KYB shocks & struts,removed air silencer,9"K&N cone,gutted cats,dual glasspack setup,cooling fan switch, B&M 24,000 tranny cooler.

Back in the game!!!
97 Lincoln Mark VIII LSC-opal opalescent with black interior, upgraded with a 98 tranny, 18x9 black saleen speedstars, LMS dual tip mufflers, 5% tints all around.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-16-2004, 06:31 AM
4th Gear Poster

Cool

Yes CamCat is right , take those spacers out , why in the world were they there in the first place , I dont think I want to know . try that see what happens , then go from there . DW 340HP90SC5-speed355locker
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-16-2004, 09:50 AM
4th Gear Poster

hes got spacers cause the tire was rubbing on that inner control arm .(think thats what its called)

i had the same prob and a very small spacer fixed it for me...but when i hit bumps my tires dont rub on the fender.

i have the 17x9 cobra r's and 255/45/17 tires with a smaaaall spacer
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-16-2004, 02:50 PM
4th Gear Poster

Cool

OK,now I know , so looks like a smaller set of wheels up fron it what you need, 9in. in too wide for up front , at least on the Birds , Im running 8.5 in wide 17s with 245 tires with no problums . in back are 18x9.5 in wide . DW
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-16-2004, 11:18 PM Thread Starter

I am using 255/40/zr17. I need the spacer there. W/o out them the wheel rubs the arm thing he mentioned. I don't know why. I did a search b4 i installed the rims and found out that some people need them and some didnt. Its barely rubbing but on turns it rubs like crazy so i need the spacer. I would like to get smaller int he fornt which is what i shuldve done in the first place but i dun wanna waste any more money on new rims now. Some body mentioned looking for someone to trade 2 of them with. So waht do u guys think? It's cuz of the kybs or becuase of the wide @$$ tire? Also the thing is the rubbing doesnt happen on the passenger side when i hit bumps, etc. It's only on the fornt driver side. andthe toher side has the spacer, same tire size and everything sp maybe its the shock? I duno i jus need help lol. thanks
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-16-2004, 11:30 PM
4th Gear Poster

Cool

It maybe both shock and too wide of a wheel, but try the wheel thing first, try to trade or sale them , may have to take a loss on the wheels , wont get all your money back , but better than rubbing , will look better also , what was the off set of the wheels ?? . 36 is a good off set . I have 8.5 wide in front with 36 off set with no rub and is lowered at least 2 inchs . running 245-45 17s tires up front . DW
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-18-2004, 10:26 PM

255 is a huge tire for the front, get a smaller tire. its cheaper than new rims.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-18-2004, 11:01 PM Thread Starter

if i get smaller tires will they fit the rims? im sorry i duno these thing si jus ordered the tires with the rims off ebay lol. So whats the smallest tire i can get for these rims? thanks
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-19-2004, 07:08 AM
4th Gear Poster

Cool

well first a 17 x 9 up front is just to wide of a wheel , you need to find ,trade or buy another set for up front , 17 x 8 is the most I would go for up front , with the off set of 36 . Someone for sure will want to trade ya for some smaller wheels , or if you have a 2nd car , may try to use them for that and just buy another set , its only money . DW
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-19-2004, 05:58 PM
Veteran Poster

the reason why you need the spacers is b/c your running 255's and they are rubbing against the upper control arm. You need to replace those tires for 245's then their wont be no rubbing what so ever. Take them spacers out, those you dont need plus they can be a bit dangerous.

CamellionCat

Mods-17x9 cobra r's,H&R springs,KYB shocks & struts,removed air silencer,9"K&N cone,gutted cats,dual glasspack setup,cooling fan switch, B&M 24,000 tranny cooler.

Back in the game!!!
97 Lincoln Mark VIII LSC-opal opalescent with black interior, upgraded with a 98 tranny, 18x9 black saleen speedstars, LMS dual tip mufflers, 5% tints all around.
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-20-2004, 12:28 AM Thread Starter

But when i took the wheel off becuase of the rubbing it was the inside of the rim that was rubbing and scratching the arm. It wasn't the tire. I know becuase when i took the wheel off the inside of the rim was all scratched up.
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-20-2004, 05:00 PM
Veteran Poster

what size rims you got on there????? they cant be 17x9's i think the problem is the spacer it has to be try taking them off.

CamellionCat

Back in the game!!!

Last edited by CamellionCat; 04-20-2004 at 05:21 PM.
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-20-2004, 10:50 PM Thread Starter

lol i duno how to explain it better. f i take the spacer off my rims will rub. I had the rims ont he car for 3 days when i forst got them before i got spacers and i culd barley make a turn. the rims r 17x9 the cobra r's, off ebay. i duno what to do what about the other thign someone said, can i get smaller tires but keep the rim?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in