Replacing springs, can't remove strut. - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-17-2004, 11:30 AM Thread Starter

Replacing springs, can't remove strut.

I'm having a problem getting the strut bolt out from the lower control arm on the driver side. Any ideas?

Also, took out the passenger side. With the spring compressed it is about 1" small than my ST lowering spring that is a 1.5" drop.... is that normal for the one to be bigger. I know it's not compressed yet though. But I was just wondering.

Thanks alot,

William
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-17-2004, 08:20 PM
Amateur Expert

Send a message via AIM to Embalmer
Quote:
Originally posted by wkrogers
I'm having a problem getting the strut bolt out from the lower control arm on the driver side. Any ideas?

Also, took out the passenger side. With the spring compressed it is about 1" small than my ST lowering spring that is a 1.5" drop.... is that normal for the one to be bigger. I know it's not compressed yet though. But I was just wondering.

Thanks alot,

William
You mean THIS bolt?

I have been pounding and wrenching on it every now and then for weeks waitiing for my springs. I'm gonna get someone to come over with a torch to cut it off. I already have new bolts, nuts, rear isolators, upper control arms and struts.

2007 Ford Mustang GT Premium - SOLD March 2014.
2013 Ford Taurus SHO (TUXESHO) Tuxedo Black Bone stock for now.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-17-2004, 08:54 PM

I use a hammer and a punch, never had much trouble with them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-17-2004, 10:33 PM

i have JUST taken my front struts out today. what sukd for me was actually getting the strut out, not getting it unbolted. but i used a hammer. that specific part wasnt much of a problem. my advice is to keep workin at it, it WILL come out. use a hammer and if that doesnt work use a punch also. and, as with any suspension piece, you gotta make sure theres no strain on anything that may be holding stubborn pieces together.

and sir william your suspension is very very clean especially compared to what ive been working on all day (mine).
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-18-2004, 05:57 PM

I used a lot of PB Blaster and a big breaker bar on mine and it broke loose. I used a hammer and a skinny screwdriver to back the bolt out of the lower control arm...I had to dink with the jack to get the suspension at just the right place where there was no tension on the bolt, but it finally came out. I just installed my ST's about a week ago. They ended up dropping my car somewhere between 1" and 1 1/2" all around...not as much as I wanted it to drop, but it looks a hell of a lot better than it did when it was stock. It sits perfectly level all around and has a very nice stance...I just wish it was about 1/2" lower. I'm still using the stock endlinks and struts/shocks, so maybe that has something to do with it too.

Anyways, good luck getting that sucker loose. If you have any specific questions, feel free to pm me with 'em since the install is still fresh in my mind.

take care,

Brian.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-19-2004, 05:09 PM
Amateur Expert

I finally got that sucker out! It was really rusted in there good! I used a Sawzall to cut off the end of the bolt and then kept hitting it with a hammer and punch - every hit brought a load of rust out. Lots of PB Blaster later, it came out! WOOHOO!

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-19-2004, 05:16 PM

Wow, that bolt looks horrible!!

Glad you got 'em out though.

Brian.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-19-2004, 08:25 PM

wow that bolt loox horrible, i thnk you should replace all the bolts in your car that look like that.
hey i liked your method tho.
NEVER BE AFRAID TO CUT!

and i lovvvve pb blaster
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-19-2004, 08:43 PM

Send a message via AIM to JustinH
just zip it off with an impact, it takes like two seconds.

JH
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-19-2004, 11:35 PM
Amateur Expert

Quote:
Originally posted by JustinH
just zip it off with an impact, it takes like two seconds.

JH
I would've done that if I had shop tools and air...

I did buy new bolts for the LCA/ shock mount and also new UCA's and shocks are waiting to be installed.

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-22-2004, 05:26 PM Thread Starter

I still am having problems with the bolt. I decided I'd go ahead and cut the bolt since I wasn't getting anywhere. So I have the strut out, but still can't get the inside of the bolt out of the steel sleeve. Any ideas, I've tried a C-clamp and can't get it also, I've been trying to drill through the center, but keep eating up bits.
If I can't get the bolt out, is it possible to just replace the sleeve or the bushing with the sleeve around the bolt? Or does the entire lower control arm need replaced?

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Please help.

Thanks alot,

William
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-22-2004, 05:56 PM
Amateur Expert

Quote:
Originally posted by wkrogers
[BIf I can't get the bolt out, is it possible to just replace the sleeve or the bushing with the sleeve around the bolt? Or does the entire lower control arm need replaced?

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Please help.

Thanks alot,

William [/B]
I ended up using a hammer and punch trying to get it out. U punched as far as I could toward the head of the bolt, then I hammered the head back going back and forth until it came out. Also - I believe the entire LCA must be replaced thinking financially. You could take the arm out, have a new bushing pressed in, but it would not be cost effective.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in