Spring Insulators Front/Rear - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-01-2004, 07:14 PM Thread Starter

Spring Insulators Front/Rear

Ok...I'm hoping someone can clarify which parts that I need. I am looking to replace my set of shocks with Tokico Illuminas (part #EU3689 front; part #EE3690 rear) to keep the electronic ride control intact. I have read that it is recommended to change the spring insulators when changing the shocks. However, I am unclear as to which insulators I need.

So far I have gathered the following:

1. There are 2 insulators on the rear springs (top/bottom). I called Ford parts and they said the part is #E9SZ5K617A (same part number for top/bottom). The part retails for about $25/each. They look like a big rubber doughnut that caps the ends of the springs.

2. The front insulators are more like a strut mount. The only info I can find on these is a KYB Strut Mount on TireRack.

http://www.tirerack.com/suspension/s...partNum=SM5187

Is this the correct "insulator" for the front? The person at Ford said the fronts have some sort of "bracket assembly" that retails for around $50...I am assuming this refers to this strut mount.

I'm pretty sure I have the rear insulator parts set, but I need some help with the fronts. Any one can can list the part number or description of what I need would help me out a lot. I am not planning on doing this install myself and will be taking my 94 SC to a professional shop. However, it will be my responsibility to bring in all the parts needed. Some extra info...my car is lowered using H&R springs.

Thanks for your help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-01-2004, 07:35 PM
PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to Kevin
Am 99% sure there is no rubber spring mount on the front - they are almost like a strut, bolts directly to the car body, and the lower control arm.

As for new rear spring isolators, you probably won't even need them. I just changed my springs over, and the 150k mile original rubber mounts were just fine, Ford used good material for the part. Save $100.

BTW, didn't realize this was your first post. Welcome to the club, hope you like it here .

1992 Mercury Cougar XR7 5.0 - Rust In Pieces
1995 Mercury Cougar XR7, rust free Florida car - future 5.0 project
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-01-2004, 07:54 PM Thread Starter

Hey Kevin! Thanks for your response. My car currently has 80K miles on it so maybe my insulators are fine...I guess there's no way for me to check unless I take apart my suspension. The Ford dealership out here has a sale on parts, so if I can get a discount, I may just replace the rears anyways just to have a fresh set.

Any idea on what that KYB Strut Mount on TireRack is? The parts person at Ford could only tell me that the front insulator is different from the rears and looks like a strut mount.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-01-2004, 08:26 PM

Send a message via AIM to JustinH
Call dan newman and get the rear isolators, and the front strut mounts.

I think I paid 11 dollars each for the isolators, and he should have the strut mounts for cheaper than tirerack.

If not then rockauto.com stocks the strut mounts.

JH
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-01-2004, 08:38 PM
PostWhore

Ford does refer to any shock mounts as "brackets" in the parts listings (Ford number will be F1SZ 18183 AA), but those are the upper shock mounts for the front.

And I would strongly recommend that you not buy the Illumina II shocks for your SC. Many people including myself have experienced premature failure of those shocks. They're great for about 30 - 40,000 miles, then they lose their stiffness. I thought it would be great to keep the auto-ride feature, but ended up leaving them on the firm setting 95% of the time anyway. My car now rides on Koni Sports. A bit more money than the Tokico Illumina II shocks, but worth it. I would have put these in the car to begin with if I had known what was going to happen with the Tokicos.

cheers,
Ed Nicholson
SCCoO

95 T-Bird SC 5-speed -- SOLD!!
88 T-Bird Turbo Coupe 5-speed
07 Mustang GT 5-speed with some stuff
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-01-2004, 09:25 PM Thread Starter

Hey Fast Ed! Thanks for your response. All this info has been a great help! Regarding the shocks, I was under the impression that the stock shocks for the SC were made by Tokico. My main goal is to keep the car as much "stock" as possible. The only mods that I have made to the car is lowering it with H&R springs.

I purchased the car used with about 18K miles on it and lowered the car at around 23K. I have never replaced the shocks so I am still running on the originals. The ride is still pretty decent at 80K, however, a mechanic friend of mine (he works on Hondas and won't touch my TBird) recommended that I look to change the shocks since they really only last 60K and thats on a non-lowered car.

Are there any other manufacturers that make replacement shocks that will keep the electronic ride control? Who makes the OEM Ford shocks? I am not looking for anything fancy, just something that will keep my SC riding smoothly for a while.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-01-2004, 09:30 PM

Send a message via AIM to JustinH
the oem ford shocks are the tokicos as far as I know.

JH
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-02-2004, 12:57 AM
The Band, not the Disease!

Send a message via AIM to AnthraxBird
my shocks are goin on 95k... never had any of them replaced. They are getting to the point of replacement soon, although... =) Doesn't ford use MacPherson type on LX's?

1997 Mark VIII LSC - Toreador Red
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-02-2004, 11:04 AM
Amateur Expert

Send a message via AIM to Embalmer
Quote:
Originally posted by AnthraxBird
my shocks are goin on 95k... never had any of them replaced. They are getting to the point of replacement soon, although... =) Doesn't ford use MacPherson type on LX's?
The MN-12 suspension has no struts in it. Both halves of the car use shocks.

2007 Ford Mustang GT Premium - SOLD March 2014.
2013 Ford Taurus SHO (TUXESHO) Tuxedo Black Bone stock for now.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-02-2004, 11:05 AM
PostWhore

The factory SC shocks were supplied by Tokico. They seem to stand up very well. I know that lots of the Ontario SC owners have 100,000+ miles on their original shocks, and are just now needing replacements. I was quite disappointed with the Tokico Illumina 2 shocks. We installed them at the same time with a set of Eibach springs, and I loved the ride and handling initially. But after about 3 years and 50,000 miles, the shocks were pretty much dead, especially the rears. At that point we installed Konis in the rear to get me through the rest of that season, and then Konis in the front last spring just before the Carlisle show.

As for other shocks that retain the factory ride control system, someone had mentioned Gabriel listed fronts in their catalogue, but I don't know anyone who has used them. And if they don't have rears to match, it's kind of pointless anyway. Consider a set of the OE replacement Tokicos from Ford. They seem to have a good lifespan, and lots of people are using them with lowering springs and have no problems.

AnthraxBird, the suspension design on the SC and LX Birds was the same. Just differences in bushing material, spring rates, shock valving, and stabilizer bar sizes. The front suspension is a short / long arm design. MacPherson strut refers to a design where the upper mounting of the shock also serves as the upper suspension locating point, eliminating the upper control arm. The 89 - 97 T-Birds & Cougars have upper and lower control arms, the confusion arises from the spring being mounted over the shock. This makes it a coil-over shock ... not a strut, since there is still a control arm to act as the upper mounting and pivot point for the suspension. Generally regarded as a superior design for handling compared to a MacPherson strut front end.

cheers,
Ed N.

post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-02-2004, 11:45 AM
4th Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to flewthecoupe
Gosh Ed, never seen the whole strut/shock thing broken down that way. Never really paid much attention to it either, but good info, thanks.

Not to steal or sidetrack this thread, maybe borrow for a moment, but with lowering springs, don't the end links need replaced with shorter/modified ones?

For those who have fought for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know. ~unknown
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-02-2004, 11:55 AM
The Band, not the Disease!

Send a message via AIM to AnthraxBird
I always thought MacPherson was a shock - Strut manufacturer for ford... i am wrong.. but I know they are all 4 shocks =)

1997 Mark VIII LSC - Toreador Red
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-02-2004, 12:08 PM
4th Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to flewthecoupe
Best of my knowledge Macpherson is a "system" and struts for that are referred to as Macpherson struts but made by Gabriel, Monroe, etc. I don't know about shocks ever being related to Macpherson setups. Could be wrong, though.

For those who have fought for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know. ~unknown
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-02-2004, 01:18 PM Thread Starter

Hey everyone, thanks for all the responses! Looks like we have a pretty good conversation going. I'm starting to think that I will look into OEM replacement shocks instead of the Tokico Illuminas. A lot of you seem to have more miles on the originals than I have and if they're still working, the OEs must be good!

My car currently has 80K miles and the ride is still fine, however, I just got a new set of Firehawk SZ50s and will be getting an alignment anyways...just seems like a good time to get a new set of shocks and do everything at once. This is the first time I've had any major suspension work done since I had my car lowered...anyone have an idea on what I am looking at in terms of installation/parts cost? The shop I was thinking of taking my car in for the Tokico Illuminas wanted about $500 for the shocks ($125 each) and about $450 for labor. I figured at the end of the day its going to cost me a grand to get this done.

Anyone have any cost/part # info on the OEM shocks?
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-03-2004, 02:55 PM Thread Starter

Ok, so I just called around for prices on the OEM shocks and they are EXPENSIVE! Here's the price quote that I got:

Fronts: $196/each (part #F4SZ18124B)
Rears: $195/each (part #F4SZ18125BA)

The OEM shocks are Motorcraft parts. Are these shocks actually Tokicos with Motorcraft labelling? If so, what's the difference between the OEMs and the Illuminas?

Anyone know or a place to get Motorcraft parts cheaper than from a dealership?
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-03-2004, 03:17 PM
Amateur Expert

Send a message via AIM to Embalmer
Quote:
Originally posted by 94tbirdscdriver
Ok, so I just called around for prices on the OEM shocks and they are EXPENSIVE! Here's the price quote that I got:

The OEM shocks are Motorcraft parts. Are these shocks actually Tokicos with Motorcraft labelling? If so, what's the difference between the OEMs and the Illuminas?

Am I correct in assuming those are prices for the shocks with the ARC? Because plain sport front shocks are about $55 each.

2007 Ford Mustang GT Premium - SOLD March 2014.
2013 Ford Taurus SHO (TUXESHO) Tuxedo Black Bone stock for now.
post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-03-2004, 09:54 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to The Great Obucina
Quote:
Originally posted by 94tbirdscdriver

have you tried Dan Newman yet? Remember, you are getting electronically adjustable shocks.....

joseph

"Booyah". Stu Scott.
1996 Braincoated, all Aluminum PI powered and obscenely loud Pearl White Tbird [email protected] AKA Dyrdek.
2013 Black on black FX2 Supercrew Ecoboost F150. Roll onto the scene with the ceiling missing.
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-04-2004, 01:55 AM Thread Starter

How do I contact Dan Newman? I think I came across his website once, but I cannot find it now.

Its looking like I will go with a replacement set of the OEM shocks. I want to keep the automatic ride control and it seems as though the OEM shocks are getting good reviews regarding longevity. Rockauto.com has a decent price on a set of Motorcraft OEM ($125.79 fronts, $124.79 rears). That's a lot better than the price I was quoted from Ford.

Are there any other parts that I should be looking to get while I'm changing my shocks? I will probably replace the spring insulators just to have a new set on the car, but are there any othere bushings, etc that should be changed as well? Again, my car is lowered with H&R springs and I am running 245/50/16 Firehawk SZ50s on the stock rims.
post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-04-2004, 08:16 AM
PostWhore

Order the shocks for an older SC, they should be less expensive (they are up here), and have stiffer valving. F1SZ 18124 B front, and FOSZ 18125 B rear. I believe Dan's site now is with Joe Cooper Ford, www.fordpartshq.com .

cheers,
Ed N.

post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-04-2004, 02:25 PM Thread Starter

Hey Ed, thanks for your response. You seem to know quite a bit regarding replacing shocks. Is there anything else you recommend that I have changed when I replace my shocks? Any bushings that should be replaced?

I'm hoping that by changing the shocks now I'll be able to ride smoothly for the next 60K and not have to worry about my suspension going out.
post #21 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-04-2004, 02:32 PM
PostWhore

The new shocks will come with most of the hardware. There really shouldn't be anything else you'll need. Rear spring insulators you already know about. The new Ford front shocks will come with the lower spring insulators already installed.

Just FYI, I'm a Ford parts guy here in the Toronto area, I look after a lot of the Canadian T-Bird and Cougar owners the same way Dan does on your side of the border.

cheers,
Ed N.

post #22 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-04-2004, 10:48 PM
PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to Kevin
Just how important is the ARC to you? You could buy a set of Koni's where although you have to adjust them yourself you don't have to pay the $200/shock Ford wants (ouch!)

www.shox.com has Koni's for $504 w/fast+free shipping.

1992 Mercury Cougar XR7 5.0 - Rust In Pieces
1995 Mercury Cougar XR7, rust free Florida car - future 5.0 project
post #23 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-05-2004, 12:58 AM Thread Starter

Hey Kevin. Thanks for your reponse. I am looking for shocks that will keep the electronic ride control because I want to keep the car as stock as possible. My car is a daily driver and has more than enough performance for my needs.

My main objective is to keep my car performing well. I initially posted my questions to this board to make sure that I was getting the right parts before I take my car into the shop.

From what has been posted so far, it seems like OEM Motorcraft replacements are my best bet. I am currently mulling taking my car into a Ford dealership to get this work done (my wallet is crying already) since I also have a check engine light that has been flashing off and on lately. Figured I can get it all done at one time, but then I'll probably end up with a $2k service bill. However, I think I will end up getting the parts myself and having a local performance shop install the new shocks for me.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in