Anybody have the Tokico advanced handling kit installed on their Bird - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-05-2004, 03:46 PM Thread Starter
6th Gear Poster

Anybody have the Tokico advanced handling kit installed on their Bird

i have a'97 sport that is in need of shocks, so might as well drop it and get rid of the fender gap at the same time.
how does the Tokico kit ride as a shock/spring combo?

B

97 T-Bird Sport: Dynomax catback, Removed silencer w/ K&N panel, DReinhart chip, Lightning AGSF12-FM1 plugs/180 stat, Tokico 1.25" dropped stance, bye bye fender gap

'79 F100 SB : 300 ci six, Hurst Mastershift 3spd floor shifter, Offenhauser intake, Holley 4 brrl, EFI manifolds, Chebbie Rockers, Summit Racing 3.50 gearset, DISO 2.5" diesel muffler and 2.5" exhaust, Its'a six?!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-05-2004, 05:20 PM
6th Gear Poster

I did the Tokico spings / shocks combo. It's a linear spring and I believe a three valve shock. The Eibach / Bilstein combo is a progresive spring and a two valve shock. That combo costs more, so I did Tokico. Love it! The wheel well fills up with stock tires and I found out that stock tires look too big for the car and too soft of sidewall as well. But a lower car has the advantage because it enables you to put a low profile tire on. 235/60/15 BF Goodrich Radial T/A's fit the bill with stock 15" wheels. I think you have 16" wheels, better yet. More selection, better sidewall, but price is more. Go with a tire Diameter of 26" instead of the 26.9". This will complement your lowered car. And with a lower profile tire you'll get wider tread, stiffer sidewall, better traction, which all relates to better acceleration and handling. Ed

Last edited by Hollywood Ed; 05-05-2004 at 05:27 PM.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-05-2004, 05:41 PM
3rd Gear Poster

When I wanted to lower my Tbird back in 2001 the life-long Ford mechanic suggested, no demanded, that I try his suggestion. He told me that since I had the Sport Springs CODE JJJJ, then he'd cut off I think about 3/4 of a turn which lowered the car at least one inch. He said, "you're only out the labor and if it don't work then we'll replace the springs." Many on this site hooped and hollered about cutting springs but I agreed with the mechanic and said let's do it. Well three years later and 30,000 miles later I still haven't replaced the springs--just the shocks. I had the Tbird Sport since it was born and had 40,000 miles when he cut the springs--we did not replace the shocks. I could tell a big difference in handling and cornering. At the last TCCoA event I attended, many who drove it said it had the most refined ride of any Tbird. Anyway, you could try that route and only be out the labor.

Previous owner of: '96 Tbird Sport with AED SC.
Best 1/4 mile 13.7sec @ 101mph
Previous owner of:'04 Red Mercury Marauder 100% stock.
Best 1/4 mile 14.6sec @96mph on Dec. 20th at Hallsville, TX
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-05-2004, 07:50 PM

I'll vouch for that, I drove the car. Not only does it handle well, it's quiet, powerful, and refined. It's not violent like Steve's car, but when you put the pedal down, it sure does go. It's probably the cleanest TBird I've seen, and very well cared for.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-05-2004, 09:05 PM

I can tell you in about a week. Got the kit sittin' in my garage waitin' for the last few parts to get it all put in...
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-05-2004, 10:25 PM
PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to TMcColl
Where did you purchase the Tokico Kit?

Thanks

Tony

Tony McColl
1994 LX 4.6L
New motor as of Aug 1st.
No Dyno Numbers yet.
Just two runs at 5800 ft.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2203515
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-06-2004, 07:04 AM Thread Starter
6th Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally posted by 96AEDtbird
When I wanted to lower my Tbird back in 2001 the life-long Ford mechanic suggested, no demanded, that I try his suggestion. He told me that since I had the Sport Springs CODE JJJJ, then he'd cut off I think about 3/4 of a turn which lowered the car at least one inch. He said, "you're only out the labor and if it don't work then we'll replace the springs." Many on this site hooped and hollered about cutting springs but I agreed with the mechanic and said let's do it. Well three years later and 30,000 miles later I still haven't replaced the springs--just the shocks. I had the Tbird Sport since it was born and had 40,000 miles when he cut the springs--we did not replace the shocks. I could tell a big difference in handling and cornering. At the last TCCoA event I attended, many who drove it said it had the most refined ride of any Tbird. Anyway, you could try that route and only be out the labor.
Alot of folks on this site seem to get bent out of shape when somebody wants to try something new. They'll criticize it to pieces, though they never tried it themselves. That is why so many of the TBird veterans have moved on to other MN12 or Modular websites. i remember the PI intake on a non-PI motor being a major point of contention until someone actually tried it.

I went to your site. your Bird sits just like I'd like mine to. I have been toying with the idea of cutting the springs on the front by maybe a half coil to drop it 3/4 to 1". Did you drop the back at all? My only problem is finding someone who can remove the shock, cut the coil, and get it back together. I thought about doing it myself, but I don't have any air tools or cut-off wheels. I have about 106K miles, so I will eventually have to replace the shocks soon, but it seems the factory Sport shocks are getting hard to come by.

B

97 T-Bird Sport: Dynomax catback, Removed silencer w/ K&N panel, DReinhart chip, Lightning AGSF12-FM1 plugs/180 stat, Tokico 1.25" dropped stance, bye bye fender gap

'79 F100 SB : 300 ci six, Hurst Mastershift 3spd floor shifter, Offenhauser intake, Holley 4 brrl, EFI manifolds, Chebbie Rockers, Summit Racing 3.50 gearset, DISO 2.5" diesel muffler and 2.5" exhaust, Its'a six?!
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-06-2004, 07:14 AM

Picked up the kit thru shox.com, cost $371 + shipping. Came out to about $410 total all the way to Fl. Not bad, considering the box was really heavy. UPS guy must have a hernia after carrying that thing up my hill of a front yard. Took about a week to get it, just when they said it would be here.

Dave
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-07-2004, 11:51 AM
Ohio TCCoA

Quote:
Originally posted by rocket_dj
the box was really heavy. UPS guy must have a hernia after carrying that thing up my hill of a front yard. Took about a week to get it
Took em a week to get it up the hill??

lol.. sorry had too.

later,
jay
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-07-2004, 12:27 PM

Walter,
Did he suggest you do that because you have the Sport springs?
Does that cutting procedure work with regular LX springs?
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-25-2004, 09:25 AM Thread Starter
6th Gear Poster

Rocket_DJ, hows it look and ride? Anyone else have any comments on the tokicos?

B

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-25-2004, 09:38 AM

Sorry, had a couple things come up and didn't get them on yet. Hopefully by the end of the week I'll have everything on, I'll post up with my thoughts as soon as I get it done.

Dave
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-05-2004, 03:23 PM

Finally got these on the other day. The Tokico Advantage kit along with new MOOG LCA's and spring isolaters and strut mounts. I am very pleased with the way this turned out. The car handles a whole lot better than before and the ride is definitely an improvement over what it was. The car really seems to stick to the ground, of course my other shocks/struts were crapola. For the money I paid the outcome was very good, as far as the 1 1/4" drop..it looks a little lower but the gfx made it look that way to begin with. I'll have to get next to another MN-12 to really see. Sorry it took so long to get back on this, just got it done wednesday and wanted to get some miles on it first.

Dave

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in