But I Do Have Some Good News ! rear swaybar links - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 05-27-2004, 03:42 PM Thread Starter

But I Do Have Some Good News ! rear swaybar links

Well, I just saved $75 by rebuilding my rear swaybar links. Ford wanted $50 each, so I got them from NAPA for $42 each (TRW). When I opened the package, I found that the nut that goes on the bottom of the link was too big. Both kits had the same problem. SOOOOO, after a few minutes of fussin and cussin, I evaluated the situation. I really didn't want to spend $100 and get them from FORD.

As most of you have probably discovered, it's the bushing in the top end of the links that generally gives out. I remembered that I had some inner liners from some split rims. The thickness of these inner liners is about 3/16 inch. After studying the top of the link and the steel sleeve, I figured that this was just about the perfect thickness to fit. I proceeded to cut a piece to the correct length that would fit snugly into the "ring" , with the seam to one side (not on the top or bottom!), put a dab of 3-in-one oil on the sleeve, and pounded it into the link, creating a very nice bushing. Then I cut the ends to fit snugly into the mounting bracket, and tightened it down. VOILA!!!!!! After doing the same to the other side, it was off to NAPA to return the defective links and get a refund. I then went to Advance Auto and found a set of polyurethane lower bushings in a link kit that was for, I believe, a 1974 Olds Cutlass (heavy duty kit). These cost about $10.50, and since I already had the material for the upper end of the link, the total cost for "LIKE NEW" rear links was under $11!!!!!!

Just thought you'd like to know.

Last edited by pileit1; 05-27-2004 at 04:05 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 05-27-2004, 07:52 PM
NRL
Real Ultimate Goatse Hunter

Send a message via AIM to NRL
I just went to autozone and bought 3 different size pairs of energy suspension poly endlinks, unbolted the top endlink mount on the sway bar, and bolted the energy suspension ones in until I found the set that fit. They cost like $10-15.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in