lower shock bolt.... - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-31-2004, 03:21 PM Thread Starter

lower shock bolt....

Is it threaded into the spindle/control arm? Or is it just shoved through with a nut on it? I already have the nut off, just double checking before i hit it with a bfh because it isnt budging lol. Thanks in advance, Justin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-31-2004, 03:57 PM

The bolt slides through a metal sleeve. Check the following excerpts for some useful tips.

This is from a post in another thread:

The solution is surprisingly simple, and im almost offended that your thread got this big and noone could reliably answer your question.
that bolt runs through a split metal sleeve. its holdin on to that friggin bolt. sharpen a screwdriver, or punch, and split it open just a hair, bolt will slide out.
took me two days to figure it out.
impact guns at this stage will only ruin your bushings

And another:

I had a problem getting that shock to lca bolt out, i beat on that with a hammer, used a puller, to no avail. So what I did was put an open end wrench between the lca and ear on the shock, over the rubber bushing, then one wack with the hammer and it was out. That works because the rubber bushing it rides in soaks up the impact of the hammer when you beat on it, but if you put the wrench in there, it keeps the force of the impact on the bolt instead of letting the rubber soak it up.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-31-2004, 04:57 PM Thread Starter

Neither of those are working, but thanks. I tried to drive a sharpened screwdriver into the seam, doesnt work, both seems are way too tight, their so tight that you cant even really tell its a seam. I also tried to put opened ends inbetween both ears of the shock, and hit it with a 8lb hammer, just shook the whole car and didnt budge. So I dont know what I'm going to do, but i need to have these off by tomorrow morning
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-31-2004, 09:51 PM
Overkill Fetish Freak

Make sure you take the load off the bolt by carefuly lifting the arm with a jack without tipping the car over. I have done four of them in the past week for some reason and they can be a PITA for sure.

-Scott
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-31-2004, 11:02 PM Thread Starter

Where would the best place be to put the jack? or is it sort of like a fox body, put it right on the edge of the shock that hang down and jack it up then basicly hammer the $hit out of it?I'll try it tomorrow morning, thanks I'll hopefully have them off by noon tomorrow so i can have the springs switched for free
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-01-2004, 12:23 PM Thread Starter

Ok, nothings working and its begining to really pi$$ me off.....I'm about to sawzall the bolt lol. I'm thinking about spinning the bolt with my impact and have someone either hammer on the end or push it with something why a jacks under it. But this is getting real old real fast
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-01-2004, 12:26 PM
PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to Kevin
That excerpt probably came from a topic I made a while ago?

Supposedly that sleeve is there, but I couldn't see it when I looked. Even cleaned it all up nicely and it still wasn't visable.

I simply used an air hammer (looks like an impact wrench) and pounded the bolt out. Had enough of screwing around with it. No bushing damage either - but that's not to say that yours will also be undamaged if you do it this way.

I'm going to advise people from now on to visit a shop and have them remove the bolt, then reinstall it. That way when the car is in the garage at home with the wheels and everything disassembled - it won't be so hard to get out.

Have fun.

1992 Mercury Cougar XR7 5.0 - Rust In Pieces
1995 Mercury Cougar XR7, rust free Florida car - future 5.0 project
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-01-2004, 02:04 PM Thread Starter

I quit messing with it and used my impact on it. That combined with my big ole hammer got it right out. I was just scared of breaking the bolts like i did on my lca's in the mustang. now the ball joints are being dumb lol. But how does the big brass piece fit through the hole of the shock tower? its touching both sides of the hole and holding the spring/shock assembly up.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-02-2004, 12:07 AM Thread Starter

I got er taken care of and back together with the aid of a bfh thanks for the help

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in