Problem with 1 3/8" sway bars - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-08-2004, 09:48 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to 4 Cam Bird
Problem with 1 3/8" sway bars

I did my first oil change tonight after installing the new bars. Yeah, that was no fun. It is also made more difficult by the oil pressure sender to make the oil pressure guage actually give you readings rather than the constant stock reading and I think the DOHC swap made it more difficult too, the hose routings I think are probably more in the way. So, to ge the filter out, I had to push it up and back as far as possible, work it in between the overflow tank hose and the sway bar by forcing the hose out of the way and kind of wiggle it out by passing it along the top of the sway bar. This got real tight in a couple places and things that are semi flexible had to be forced out of the way. Getting the new filter in was equally difficult if not harder. I am tempted to take it to Jiffy Lube next time just to see them try and figure it out.

Former owner of 94 Bird with DOHC 4.6L swapped from a mark VIII

2011 CTS-V Wagon
1968 Torino was an original 289, C4, fully documented numbers matching car. Now: DOHC 4.6L/T-56 swapped, Cobra intake, IMRC delete, BBK long tubes and H pipe. Dynotech Aluminum Driveshaft, 9" rear with TrueTrac and 4.11's.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-09-2004, 06:19 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to 94 Daily Driven 4.6L
And you didn't install a remote filter when you installed your 1 3/8 bar why...???

Just kidding!!

When I drop my cross member to install the bar, I planned on installing a remote filter. Those sending unit clearance problems and the nightmare for the filter just screams "move me... "!!

The only good thing about the stock location for the filter is being able to laugh while the guy at the Quickie-Lube curses my car.

97 Lincoln Mark VIII LSC (Chip'd, 3.73 T/L... so far... )
97 Ford Aspire (Slow, but getting 36 mpg (f'n Ethenol!! )
84 F250 Dually w/6.9L Diesel (7.3L IDI pending)
73 Mercury Cougar Convertible w/351C 4V (Partially Restored)
69 F100 LWB w/460 Engine
76 Glastron Carlson 23' Jet Boat w/460 CJ Engine
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-09-2004, 08:20 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Yeah, one of these days I'll get it moved. Maybe this winter. The list of things to do to the car I was done with seems to keep getting longer. My name is Brad, I'm a T-birdaholic.

2011 CTS-V Wagon
1968 Torino was an original 289, C4, fully documented numbers matching car. Now: DOHC 4.6L/T-56 swapped, Cobra intake, IMRC delete, BBK long tubes and H pipe. Dynotech Aluminum Driveshaft, 9" rear with TrueTrac and 4.11's.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-09-2004, 08:35 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
Originally posted by 4 Cam Bird
Yeah, one of these days I'll get it moved. Maybe this winter. The list of things to do to the car I was done with seems to keep getting longer. My name is Brad, I'm a T-birdaholic.
I know the feeling!! It's a genetic flaw: "I know it works, but I can make it work "better"!!

Oh, and I just saw this in SHM's catalog:

http://www.seanhylandmotorsport.com/...b082e97c005bb9

This should make you "happy".... he he he he he...

69 F100 LWB w/460 Engine
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-09-2004, 09:41 AM
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally posted by 94 Daily Driven 4.6L

I know the feeling!! It's a genetic flaw: "I know it works, but I can make it work "better"!!

Genetic??? Now I have to go apologize to a thousand engineers I've berated over the years so I dont' feel guilty for picking on the handicapped?
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-09-2004, 10:22 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

I've still got the only silicone set for an MN-12/FN-10 Its not quite that complete though, it was going to be way too much work and probably impossible to get the over flow hose right. But my hoses were free. Those silicone hoses look like the peroxide hoses that we make (colorwise). I'm sure it still the same basic material though, just from Gates or someplace. Looking at that set more, I see an upper and lower rad, an overflow tank hose, a block to thermostat housing hose, but no cross over pipe to thermostat housing hose but there is a hose that I don't know what it does but is too small to be the missing hose

2011 CTS-V Wagon
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-09-2004, 10:49 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
I've still got the only silicone set for an MN-12/FN-10 ...
True!!

And yeah, I was thinking there were some hoses missing from that photo. And they aren't quite free.

69 F100 LWB w/460 Engine
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-09-2004, 12:14 PM
Cougar Pilot

Quote:
I've still got the only silicone set for an MN-12/FN-10
The suspense is killing me! How did you get those?

TCCoA, there's no better way.
BlackCat94 - The Revolution.
1994 XR7 - Intake Tube, LMAF, March Underdrive Pulleys, J-Modded '00 Mustang Trans, Marauder T/C,
TruBendz 2.5" SS True Duals, Apten Flip Chip, FRPP 4.10s & Trac Lock, etc.

[email protected] with 3.27 gears
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-09-2004, 01:03 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

I work in a hose plant. I looked up the mandrels for the Mark replacement hoses, had to bring in a hose and compare it to mandrels until I found the right one for one of them because we have never made it at all, then I went and grabbed the correct size green stock to cure on the mandrels, and took it all to a cure pot operator and told him to cure my 'executive order'

Mine are baby blue as compared to the medium blue in the picture. You can kind of tell in my avatar

2011 CTS-V Wagon
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-09-2004, 05:06 PM
Cougar Pilot

ahh that's right, Goodyear...

Now if you could do a group purchase...

Sorry for getting off topic
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-10-2004, 01:24 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

I was the king of off topic on message boards today. I don't think a single thread I had much involvment in stayed on topic.

I don't know what it would take to get a worthwhile group purchase going. If there was a bunch of interest I could maybe talk to someone in marketing. Someone with a business license would probably have to act as a middle man for it to work though. Then it would depend on where the mandrels that were needed currently are. If they are still in Lincoln, it could fly, if they got shipped to Mexico, it would be dead for sure because they aren't even running the silicone in those plants. Definitely would have been easier to get going say, a year ago.

2011 CTS-V Wagon

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in