Want to keep my auto ride control... what lowering shocks/springs? - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-22-2004, 12:28 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to Drive XR7
Want to keep my auto ride control... what lowering shocks/springs?

Just bought a set of 17x7 Cobra Rs wrapped in 245/45/17 rubber. I'm going to have massive amounts of wheelgap that I'd like to minimize. I was thinking about going with a set of Intrax springs because they offer a 2" drop... but I was also recommended to get a new set of shocks as well. My stock shocks work great and they come with electronic ride control, which I absolutely LOVE... and would much rather just replace the springs to lower the car and keep the stock shocks, but I wanted a second opinion.

I heard the Tokico shocks offer the electronic ride control feature. Will that work with my current system (FIRM RIDE, stock button, etc)? Any other recommendations for springs or shocks?

Thanks!

Jason
2003 SVT Mustang Cobra #5364
2001 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP
1991 Mercury Cougar XR7 5.0L - SOLD!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-22-2004, 12:29 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Oops.. wrong forum. Can a mod move this to suspension?

I also tried to delete it myself since I was the topic originator, but it wouldn't delete. Might be a good idea to allow us this permission.

Jason
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-22-2004, 12:56 PM
4th Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to MarksM
The only aftermarket shock that lets you keep the ride control are the Tokico's. I've had them for over a year, they are softer than the OEM shocks

2007 Buell XB9S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-22-2004, 01:25 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally posted by MarksM
The only aftermarket shock that lets you keep the ride control are the Tokico's. I've had them for over a year, they are softer than the OEM shocks
Softer? Ehh... negatory on those shocks. Think I can stick with my stockers and the lowering springs?

Jason
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-22-2004, 03:35 PM
PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to Kevin
Auto shocks are over-rated Jason, I never could tell much of a difference between normal, and 'firm'.

Koni's are the way to go, I adjust mine rock hard for whenever I want to piss around, and all the way to 'soft' for normal driving. Takes all of 2 minutes to adjust 4 shocks.

1992 Mercury Cougar XR7 5.0 - Rust In Pieces
1995 Mercury Cougar XR7, rust free Florida car - future 5.0 project
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-22-2004, 05:12 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

I can definitely tell the difference between normal and firm. I'm pretty much determined to stick with them. Think it'll hurt to run the stock shocks on lowered springs?

Jason
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-22-2004, 09:47 PM

Depending ont he shape of them, you'll just need to replace them sooner because their going to wear out faster. I have the stocker shocks in with intrax springs in my sc, but I havent driven on them yet sorry. Justin
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-22-2004, 09:57 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally posted by RedBirdSC
Depending ont he shape of them, you'll just need to replace them sooner because their going to wear out faster. I have the stocker shocks in with intrax springs in my sc, but I havent driven on them yet sorry. Justin
It may be awhile before I start looking around for springs, and an even longer while before they get installed. Let me know when you do drive on them.

Jason
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-22-2004, 10:01 PM

Well my goal is to put a few miles on the car this weekend, so I'll let you know I'll hopefully have my new exhaust by then so i can fix the vaccum leaks and drive it

btw I did run intrax springs all around on my mustang with stock shocks, they did just fine for 10k miles, but now the front springs are sold, stockers back in for a week or two till the moroso trick drag springs go back in
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-22-2004, 10:08 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally posted by RedBirdSC
Well my goal is to put a few miles on the car this weekend, so I'll let you know I'll hopefully have my new exhaust by then so i can fix the vaccum leaks and drive it

btw I did run intrax springs all around on my mustang with stock shocks, they did just fine for 10k miles, but now the front springs are sold, stockers back in for a week or two till the moroso trick drag springs go back in
Did the Intrax offer a level drop? I don't want my rear end sticking an inch higher than my front end.

Jason
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-22-2004, 10:10 PM

my tbird dropped level, my mustang didn't, but i have a 27in tall tire on the rear with a 24-25 in the front.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-23-2004, 08:38 PM
PostWhore

The tokicos i found to be little more `floaty' on th freeway and just simply driving around normally... but once i started to `work them' they seemed firmer then the Stock shocks, but that was with STOCK springs with H&R's they weren't upt ot the task fo controling them

NOW i have Eibachs and Koni's... has a nice ride.. and can be pretty dang firm if you crank them Right now i have them at liek 3/4 firm and it's not bad But the the softest i seem to be able to do full soft rear, 1/4 firm front to get last little `float', the front on the softest setting floated alot more then the rears..

Still want to the H&Rs and the Konis

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in