For the love of god stop CREAKING! - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-29-2004, 02:14 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

Angry For the love of god stop CREAKING!

My passenger side front creaks over every bump and when I'm in town crusing around everytime I turn it's annoying creaking. I dropped it off at the shop today and they said it's the bushing in the lower control arm and that there is nothing you can do about it because the arm is still good. Is this true? I want a second opinion, they said to replace it would be like 2-300 bucks. I don't want to pay that much over a stupid creaking. I thought they could just squirt some lube on it and it would be good to go. Anyone else have this problem? Thanks~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-29-2004, 02:23 PM

As soon as I take down the sticky, I knew the question would come back up!!!!!! Your mechanic is right, it's bushings. Most people with MN12s experience the creaking as their car gets some mileage on them, especially when it's cold out. You can start replacing bushings. www.supercoupeperformance.com and www.mn12performance.com sell poly kits for the entire front end, and although they are expensive, it will get rid of any creaking you have.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-29-2004, 02:44 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

Oh that sucks! Sorry I tried looking at other posts but I just seen clunking and squeeling didn't see anything on creaking. Guess this just means I need to crank my stereo up louder. Dang it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-29-2004, 03:44 PM
Whining Intakes Rock

Quote:
Originally posted by F00SER
I want a second opinion, they said to replace it would be like 2-300 bucks. I don't want to pay that much over a stupid creaking.
roughly $50 bucks for a new lower control arm which has the ball joint and bushings already installed. The rest they must be charging you for labor. That seems high. I don't know what labor rates are but it's probably a couple hours tops with the right equipment.

_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/ I like intakes that whine \_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_

# SELECT * FROM users WHERE clue > 0;
# 0 rows returned
# drop table users;_
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-29-2004, 03:49 PM
PostWhore

Try tightening up all of the front subframe to chassis bolts as well. They can work loose over time, and cause a creaking or popping sound.

cheers,
Ed N.

95 T-Bird SC 5-speed -- SOLD!!
88 T-Bird Turbo Coupe 5-speed
07 Mustang GT 5-speed with some stuff
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-29-2004, 04:04 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
Originally posted by fast Ed N
Try tightening up all of the front subframe to chassis bolts as well. They can work loose over time, and cause a creaking or popping sound.

cheers,
Ed N.
that the current issue i have, still could be a bushing, i just changed a 3a140 strut rod bushing on my right front during lunch. still there just not as bad. im goign to put it off as much as possible, till i attempt the cobra intake swap.

64 ford galaxie -FE powered beast!- sleeping giant
69 cougar standard- 347/c6 -efi restomod, heidts prog 4 link heavily modified front, custom strutrods boxed lowers rollerperches 620 lowering springs! meier shock tower brace
96 f150 supercab lifted beast! 351 powered beast
87 shasta roadmaster 29ft travel trailer- pimpdaddy camping!
mn12 less!
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-29-2004, 04:05 PM

Question

Ed N.,
Are the subframe bolts easy to get to? I read another post about tightening them and I want to check mine as well.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-29-2004, 09:05 PM
PostWhore

They are easy to access when the car is up in the air. But they do take an oddball tool for tightening ... I think they are a big Torx size or something, it's been awhile since we did mine. Maybe a "search" will come up with the correct answer to that.

cheers,
Ed N.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in