Vogtland, Bilstein & Addco rear swap completed - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-05-2004, 04:21 PM Thread Starter
Chapter Director Coordinator

Vogtland, Bilstein & Addco rear swap completed

Yep.. finally

about a week and a half ago i did the front bilstein / vogtland GP spring swap... cleared up a bunch of bumps

i read in the service manual to take off the rear sway bar before doing rear springs/shocks, and now i see why.. so i hesitated and ordered the rear addco 1.125" bar...

swapped in the new springs and bilsteins in the rear today.. Damn they are stiff. hehehe

when installing the addco bar (which is significantly larger than stock.. and i have the Sport package.. ) they give you their "performance" link kit with poly bushings, some grease, etc....

we coated the bolt with silicon lubricant and put the bushings on and hand tightened it down until i could just barely move the sleeve with my hand (as per the sheet that came w/ the bar)

took her out for a spin... 1st.. yep.. stiffer... she glides over the imperfections in the road a lot better now.. but big bumps.. are a little rough hehehe.. i made the mistake of going diagonal over a speedbump.. not good.

MY QUESTION... when the rear goes over the speedbump, i hear a squeak that sounds like a muffled terrier bark... should i have put some of that red grease at the metal/poly bushing contact points, or was coating the bolt good enough?

i drove real slow the first couple of days, as i get a tad nervous when i do stuff to the car, until i forget about it and then don't give a shyt and drive normal..

let me know guys... and i'll post a new side profile pic later, hopefully at the same approx distance as Preston did for me down in Moroso.. same time i'll load the new exhaust pics up so you can see that...

JD

I bust ARP bolts by hand...

If Guns kill people, then...
...pencils miss spel werds
...cars make people drive drunk
...spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat
~Gun Owners of America
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-06-2004, 12:29 AM Thread Starter
Chapter Director Coordinator

ttt
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-07-2004, 12:13 AM
The Band, not the Disease!

Send a message via AIM to AnthraxBird
I know how you feel with the noises.. I don't really know how to fix your problem (let alone mine, im an engine guy =P) but I would like to see how this turns out.. so, TTT =) Good Luck!

1997 Mark VIII LSC - Toreador Red
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-07-2004, 09:34 AM
PostWhore

Yeah, you're going to want to put some grease on those polyurethane bushings.
The Addco bushings don't have grease zerks, or grease channels. If you don't keep the poly pushings greased, they creak & groan over every bump.
You might want to pick-up some Energy Suspension bushings & brackets. They have grease fittings on the brackets & grease channels in the bushings.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-08-2004, 09:33 PM
4th Gear Poster

Send a message via Yahoo to BIG PERV
I just completely overhauled my suspension too. I put the ADDCO 1.25" bar both front and back, with all the MN-12 Poly bushings, Bilsteins, and new Sport springs, and did the POLY IRS bushings while I was in there, I also usd the Poly rear isolators from MN-12. Rides a ton stiffer, nothing like the stock ride of a T-bird, and I like it alot to be honest. I have noticed the noises in my rear too, I just attributed it to the new poly bushings and Isolators, since they don't have any grease channels or zerg fittings I imagine it will get a bit worse as the grease I put on when I installed them works out.

My only problem I think is that I didn't get he front bar centered right, I can't get the front to align right now, and it pulls to the left a good deal. Never had the problem before I did the suspension. Let me know if I am on the right track suspension experts. At least adjusting it should be quite a bit easier than putting it in.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-08-2004, 09:58 PM
4th Gear Poster

Send a message via Yahoo to BIG PERV
I just realized I may need to check the engine cradle to see if I got it lined up right when I bolted it back up

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in