Adjustables...who's got em? - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-11-2004, 04:42 PM Thread Starter
MAMN12 Posse Member

Adjustables...who's got em?

Like the title says, who's got some adjustable shocks. In your opinion...are they worth the higher price. Also, what kind of adjustments are made to them...just to make them stiffer or softer?

~Jeff

*signed off
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-11-2004, 10:40 PM
PostWhore

konis

hell yah they are worth it.. even thou i got mine 2nd hand, but only like 2 months (2000miles max ) on them

the Konis only adjust the rebound.. which is good for the stiffer springs
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-11-2004, 11:07 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to The Great Obucina
got em.

Koni's 0wn.

1 full turn elinimates the bounce from eibachs. The ride is very compliant also, just a little stiffer than with the OE stuff.

joseph

"Booyah". Stu Scott.
1996 Braincoated, all Aluminum PI powered and obscenely loud Pearl White Tbird [email protected] AKA Dyrdek.
2013 Black on black FX2 Supercrew Ecoboost F150. Roll onto the scene with the ceiling missing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-11-2004, 11:51 PM
3rd Gear Poster

I just put a set of Koni's on. They are much better than the Tokico's that I had, but they also cost at least twice as much. I was running around with them on the softest that they would go, and it was compairable to a factory ride, even with the Vogtland springs that I am running now. So next I turned them 1/2 turn firmer and they ride about the same as the Eibachs with the Tokico did. Not real sure if anyone would ever want to turn them all the way up or not.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-12-2004, 12:19 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
Originally posted by Blackkatt
I just put a set of Koni's on. They are much better than the Tokico's that I had, but they also cost at least twice as much. I was running around with them on the softest that they would go, and it was compairable to a factory ride, even with the Vogtland springs that I am running now. So next I turned them 1/2 turn firmer and they ride about the same as the Eibachs with the Tokico did. Not real sure if anyone would ever want to turn them all the way up or not.
i ran with 2 full turns in the front at the track. can you say ZERO brake dive? 13inch brakes and konis make life fun.

joseph

"Booyah". Stu Scott.
1996 Braincoated, all Aluminum PI powered and obscenely loud Pearl White Tbird [email protected] AKA Dyrdek.
2013 Black on black FX2 Supercrew Ecoboost F150. Roll onto the scene with the ceiling missing.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-12-2004, 11:18 AM
3rd Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally posted by The Great Obucina

i ran with 2 full turns in the front at the track. can you say ZERO brake dive? 13inch brakes and konis make life fun.

joseph
That's kinda what I was figuring, all the way up and they don't act as shocks any more.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-12-2004, 03:27 PM
PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to Kevin
I like my Koni's but don't really know how to set them.

Right now they're set to full hard, the ride suffers but the handling is incredibly flat.

Forgot to mention that it has Eibachs too.

I'd have bought the Bilsteins over the Koni's, but these were the next best thing available and would buy them again even at the current price.

1992 Mercury Cougar XR7 5.0 - Rust In Pieces
1995 Mercury Cougar XR7, rust free Florida car - future 5.0 project
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-12-2004, 05:07 PM
PostWhore

I have Konis as well, in my 95 SC. For the street, mine get set about 1 to 1-1/3 turns from full soft, that gets the job done. Good compromise between a reasonable, firm ride, and good control. The only time they see anywhere near the full hard setting, is when I'm instructing at some open-track events. Kevin, I can't imagine what it would be like driving around on the street with them set like that !!

cheers,
Ed N.

95 T-Bird SC 5-speed -- SOLD!!
88 T-Bird Turbo Coupe 5-speed
07 Mustang GT 5-speed with some stuff
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-12-2004, 08:17 PM
PostWhore

in the firmest it's kinda cool.. you can feel almost all the irregularities of the road.. event he slight `rolling' of the road.. it's pretty cool but usually i run them int he mid setting for the street..

BUT when i start to push the car.. i get alot of understeer more so then the H&Rs and Tokico 2's (in the firm setting)
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-12-2004, 09:57 PM

what do you thinik of bilstien in the front and konis on the rear?
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-15-2004, 04:34 PM
PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to Kevin
I personally wouldn't mismatch shocks like that, depending on dampening rates you may have a see-saw effect.

Ed, I tell ya - it's brutal ! I'll sacrifice ride quality for performance any day, but it's nice that they're adjustable, because if/when I come to my senses they can be toned down.

Then again I'm used to driving farm machinery without suspension, 18 wheelers on terrible roads, and most recently - dump trucks in the worst 'road' conditions imagineable.

So even a rough riding Cougar feels like riding on a cloud after my work day .

1992 Mercury Cougar XR7 5.0 - Rust In Pieces
1995 Mercury Cougar XR7, rust free Florida car - future 5.0 project
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-15-2004, 06:07 PM

i ask this because i only got the front bilsteins , and i cant ge thte rear anymore so im looking for a solution.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-15-2004, 06:15 PM
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally posted by 91 XR7

BUT when i start to push the car.. i get alot of understeer more so then the H&Rs and Tokico 2's (in the firm setting)
Try dialing in a bit more rear shock stiffness than front ... should fix that right up.

When I've been doing track events on very tight courses that have lots of 2nd and 3rd gear corners, I've set my rear shocks on full hard, and the fronts at about 1/2 a turn off full hard. Ends up very nicely balanced ... as I'm getting on the throttle coming out of the faster corners, the back of the car starts to slide just before the front, almost perfect. On the slower corners, it's excellent for such a big tub of a car. I have a stock front stab. bar, and the slightly larger 89 SC rear bar.

cheers,
Ed N.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-15-2004, 08:11 PM
PostWhore

Ahh do the front slightly less. okay.. i'll give that a shot thanks

Also i have a 1 3/8 front and 1 1/4" rear sway bars.. Not installed yet thou.. i'm scared of tearing apart my already fragile old car
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-16-2004, 08:12 PM
PCD
Confirmed V6 Nut

Turbospeed,

You and I got into the same buy. In the original thread there was a mention of other Bilstein rear shocks that would work, if you want a stiffer ride. I may go that route. The new OEM shocks I put on aren't doing the job.

The Parts Bin Special is DEAD! It is being parted out.
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-16-2004, 10:30 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
Originally posted by turbospeed
i ask this because i only got the front bilsteins , and i cant ge thte rear anymore so im looking for a solution.
either Crown Vic Bilsteins or OE 03-04 Cobra vert rear shocks.

joseph

"Booyah". Stu Scott.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in