installed a set of monroe reflex shox and sc springs what a diffrence. - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-14-2004, 09:52 PM Thread Starter
On Probation

installed a set of monroe reflex shox and sc springs what a diffrence.

I went ahead and replaced the factory lx shocks and springs today with monroe reflex shox and supercoupe springs. What a diffrence before it was walloway and would bounce 2-3 times on a fast stop or big bump. It now is firmer and only bounces once. The reflex shocks give a firm ride on smooth pavement and have a special valve that keeps them from beating your guts out on rough stuff like conventional shocks. I was scared of the firm springs and shocks because I had a bad experience in the past but there is nothing to worry about on the combination. It would probly work great on lx springs also. I would stay away from sensetracks they are way too soft of a shock even for lx springs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-15-2004, 01:05 AM

Glad you're happy with them, Steve.
That sounds like a good, relatively inexpensive alternative to the high $$ stuff.

--mental note--
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-15-2004, 01:52 AM

That's next on my list. My sport shocks have quite a lot of mileage on them, and need to be replaced.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-15-2004, 02:53 PM
2nd Gear Poster

Just wondering , how many miles on average and do you figure shocks and struts last ?

Rock on !
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-15-2004, 03:12 PM
motor city poster

Send a message via AIM to Red96Bird
monroe says to replace them every 50,000. so i would figure about every 40 or so
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-15-2004, 03:30 PM
Refrigerator Raider Hater

Don't replace them till they start to get soft or leak.

My 96 still has the factory shocks, my SHO 176K miles and was only on it's 2nd set, and my mother's subaru went 120K miles before needing fronts, it still has the factory rears.

Matt "Looks Like Egon" Davis
96 Alpine Green V8
98 Audi A8 4.2Q in Racing Green Totalled
02 Audi A8L 4.2Q in Black

I buy my OEM Ford parts at 10% over dealer cost from Steve in White Bear Lake, MN.
You drive "like a man possessed"... by a woman!
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-15-2004, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Red96Bird
monroe says to replace them every 50,000. so i would figure about every 40 or so
I've seen that "recommendation". If you look at the fine print, it says, "for ultimate performance" or something silly like that. It's all marketing.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-15-2004, 06:45 PM

so how much they went for?
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-15-2004, 09:10 PM Thread Starter
On Probation

It was about 230.00 for the set at napa. If you have a AAA card you get a 20% discount.

It was not fun changing the front struts. I had to take a impact and run the spring compressors down very tight enough to get the bearing plate and nut on and alingned. In order to get it to alighn I tightend it down till the spring did not touch the bearing plate and then insalled them in the car bolting the bearing plate down along with the bottom bolt being bolted in then I backed off the spring compressor till I was able to free them.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-17-2004, 09:41 PM
PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to TMcColl
Steve,

Did you take out the bolt that holds the upper control arm on to the spindle?

Did you compress them while still on the car????

Thanks,

Tony

Tony McColl
1994 LX 4.6L
New motor as of Aug 1st.
No Dyno Numbers yet.
Just two runs at 5800 ft.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2203515
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-17-2004, 10:00 PM Thread Starter
On Probation

I removed the struts as a assembly. I had to take the upper bolt loose from the controol arm. I used a good spring compressor. spend the money and get a good one a cheap one can kill you littery if it fails. I had to modify the one I got from autozone to work and run the compressor down with a 1/2 inch impact wrench. I had to do this to dissasemble the strut. If you don't have the tools I would have a front end shop that installs the reflex install them on your car since they do this everyday and have a wall mounted spring compressor which is much safer.
DO NOT REMOVE THE CENTER BOLT WITH OUT COMPRESSING THE SPRING FIRST OR IN THE CAR IT CAN CAUSE DEATH OR SEARIOUS INJURY AND PROPERTY DAMAGE.
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-18-2004, 02:38 AM
Seasoned Veteran Poster

I know what you mean about those front springs. I recently replaced my springs, but not the shocks. The rears took about an hour with some help. The fronts... they probably took about 10 hours. I think I could do it in about 2 now that I know how, but when you don't, you can be fooled into thinking something will work and try forever before figuring out it won't.

Do exercise caution when compressing the springs. The compressors from Autozone look fairly reliable (they clamped around my springs fairly well) but I still didn't feel comfortable. An impact wrench is almost a necessity with them though.

After all that, I think it was worth it though. I just got it fixed Friday night and haven't gotten an alignment yet, but the car is so much more responsive. I wish I had gotten some shocks, but I'm trying to save up money for college. The sport springs are a nice upgrade over the LX ones on the streets without costing much on the bumpy roads.

1994 Thunderbird LX 232
Discarded air silencer. Gutted cats. [email protected] mph at this point. 8.8" Trackloc differential with polyurethane bushings. PA manual valvebody. Sport springs.

1989 Thunderbird SC 5-speed
ESM ported supercharger. Performance exhaust.

2005 Yamaha YZF600R
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-18-2004, 07:07 AM
PostWhore

I have no problem with taking the springs to a shop. I just cant get the assembly out of the car because the bolt holding the upper control arm is stuck and will not come out.

Any hints there.

T

Tony McColl
1994 LX 4.6L
New motor as of Aug 1st.
No Dyno Numbers yet.

post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-18-2004, 12:53 PM

I have a wall mounted spring compressor at the shop, and I'd have to say, for the time difference alone, it is well worth it, not to mention the added safety.
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-21-2004, 04:44 PM
Seasoned Veteran Poster

Quote:
Originally posted by TMcColl
I have no problem with taking the springs to a shop. I just cant get the assembly out of the car because the bolt holding the upper control arm is stuck and will not come out.

Any hints there.

T
You shouldn't have to take the upper control arm completely out. I simply disconnected it at the ball joint and pivoted it up, leaving plenty of room to pull out the shock assembly.

1994 Thunderbird LX 232
Discarded air silencer. Gutted cats. [email protected] mph at this point. 8.8" Trackloc differential with polyurethane bushings. PA manual valvebody. Sport springs.

1989 Thunderbird SC 5-speed
ESM ported supercharger. Performance exhaust.

2005 Yamaha YZF600R
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-21-2004, 07:58 PM

Yeah i got the sport shock and it made a whole lot of difference! The best mod for my suspension by far!!
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-21-2004, 09:04 PM
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally posted by kenshi

You shouldn't have to take the upper control arm completely out. I simply disconnected it at the ball joint and pivoted it up, leaving plenty of room to pull out the shock assembly.

Right you are but if the bolt holding the ball joint wont come out you cant pivot the upper arm.

T

Tony McColl
1994 LX 4.6L
New motor as of Aug 1st.
No Dyno Numbers yet.

post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-21-2004, 09:58 PM

Thats what i did , Cause that uppercontrol arm/spindel bolt sucks, i destroyed two new ball joint tools trying to get that damn thing out and ended up just taking the control arm off. Have fun with the bolts next to the firewall though
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-26-2004, 01:24 PM
2nd Gear Poster

I decided to use these shocks and struts for my 92 Sport. It currently has Eibach springs and KYB shocks and struts that have 30k on them. They always seemed a little soft . Anyway , i go to order these Reflex shocks and struts and it turns out they are discontinued item from Monroe. I called the local NAPA stores and they were all out. I got a set from A-1 Shocks.com , they'll be installed this week. Ill post on how they ride.

Rock on !
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-26-2004, 09:28 PM
3rd Gear Poster

I replaced my Sport setup with the Monroe Sensa-Trak brand two years ago. I was more interested is a better ride than better handling. My et's were lowered as the shocks let the front end rear-up more on launch.

Total price: $231 for parts.

Much better ride that OEM sport shocks. But it did take some getting used to. Pavement that used to 'washboard' with the OEM setup was smoothed out a lot.

Previous owner of: '96 Tbird Sport with AED SC.
Best 1/4 mile 13.7sec @ 101mph
Previous owner of:'04 Red Mercury Marauder 100% stock.
Best 1/4 mile 14.6sec @96mph on Dec. 20th at Hallsville, TX
post #21 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-02-2004, 03:04 PM
2nd Gear Poster

Well i got the Reflex shocks intalled. Id say they are an improvement over the KYB shocks. I dont race or anything but the new Reflex shocks seem to offer more control , less bounce and a firmer ride on the highways.

Rock on !

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in