Swapping rear sub-frames -- what works? - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-30-2004, 01:11 AM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

Swapping rear sub-frames -- what works?

Hello all:

Searched the forums several ways but nothing came up on this question.

I've got a 96 TBird Sport to do some upgrades on, but downtime is a problem. I'll have to get all the new goodies (brakes, raxles, braces, driveshaft, etc) together ahead of time, including a spare rear sub-frame to get boxed-up in advance.

Question: what rear sub-frames will fit this '96? Are there differences between the V6 & V8 cars? Would a SC sub-frame fit? What years should I be looking for? Any particularly good years to search out? Any notably bad years to avoid?

Go ahead, make my day by telling me all MN12's used the same rear sub-frame and they are totally interchangeable (but only if it's true!).

Thanks in advance,

Larry W7LES in Cheyenne
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-30-2004, 02:04 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to 4 Cam Bird
They all used the same one. So, find yourself the one with the least rusted bolts holding it up. Or, take a torch to the junkyark and just cut out the rails where the subframe attaches and just worry about the bolts when you get home. That is problaby the best way. Those bolts get locked in there big time. They are a PITA.

Former owner of 94 Bird with DOHC 4.6L swapped from a mark VIII

2011 CTS-V Wagon
1968 Torino was an original 289, C4, fully documented numbers matching car. Now: DOHC 4.6L/T-56 swapped, Cobra intake, IMRC delete, BBK long tubes and H pipe. Dynotech Aluminum Driveshaft, 9" rear with TrueTrac and 4.11's.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-30-2004, 09:43 AM
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally posted by 4 Cam Bird
...Those bolts get locked in there big time. They are a PITA.

That's for sure.... and no easy way to get 'em covered with PB Blaster either.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-03-2004, 12:18 AM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

Thanks for the replies, guys.

The only parts cars available in the local wrecking yards are a red 91 Cougar and a blue 93 Bird, both V6 cars. I'm presuming that the smaller pumpkin wouldn't be worth much, at least not to me anyway, but if we use the hot wrench to get the rear subframe out, I'd probably elect to try to dicker on the price for the whole works including control arms, springs, yada, yada, just for the spare parts.

Anyone want to hazard a guess what the bare subframe would sell for, and how much more would I likely be looking at for the loaded subframe with all the goodies on it? Also, would the spare parts from a loaded V6 subframe work interchangeably on a V8 car (other than the diff assy)?

Larry W7LES in Cheyenne
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-03-2004, 12:44 AM
Cougar Pilot

The springs are different on a V-6 car. One junkyard I was at had the whole subframe removed from the car and sitting on top of a trailer house I believe. That would make your life easiest.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-03-2004, 08:45 AM
PostWhore

I sold the '91 SC subframe I had for $375 delivered about 4 hours away. It was less the springs and rotors. It was structually sound but rusty, nothing a little sandblasting and POR-15 wouldn't handle.

Have you checked with racecougar? He's usually got several cars around and is good to deal with.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-03-2004, 05:11 PM

I'd sell ya the one out of my 96, but I wouldn't know what shipping would be from Mi?? (how would you ship something like that??)
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-04-2004, 11:44 AM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

Cougarman,

Where are you in MI, and what would you want for it? Reason I ask is that my folks in Allendale (just W of Grand Rapids) have a minivan and are planning to drive out to Cheyenne later this month. Don't know if they would care to lug it along in the back (or if it would even fit in the minivan) but it's interesting to consider.

Larry W7LES in Cheyenne
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-04-2004, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Larry W7LES
Cougarman,

Where are you in MI, and what would you want for it? Reason I ask is that my folks in Allendale (just W of Grand Rapids) have a minivan and are planning to drive out to Cheyenne later this month. Don't know if they would care to lug it along in the back (or if it would even fit in the minivan) but it's interesting to consider.

Larry W7LES in Cheyenne
You have a pm.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-04-2004, 10:44 PM
The Parts Guy

Quote:
Originally posted by doodaa
Have you checked with racecougar? He's usually got several cars around and is good to deal with.
Thanks for the recommendation doodaa.

I have a complete rear subframe assembly from a 97 for $300 plus shipping. It includes the rear subframe, 8.8" centersection with 3.27's and Trac-Loc, halfshafts, knuckles, and upper and lower control arms. Email me at [email protected] if you're interested.

-Rod

Rod @ AzzKicker Cars
[email protected]
90 XR7-The Meth Addict-KB SC'd 5.0L DOHC Stroker
2004 Mustang GT-The Driver-Intake/Exhaust/3.73's
1995 F150 4x4-The Mud Toy-5.0L/4R70W/33's/Warn 8274 Winch
94 LX w/Splitport 3.8L from 2000 Mustang - SOLD
2 - 90 35th Anny Ed SC's
And a TON of parts cars!
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-05-2004, 08:16 AM
Veteran Poster

Send a message via AIM to 5.0 Chero
I have bought several from our self service yards out here for $125 the price of a disc brake rear end. got to love Pick n Pull. The Factory 5 Cobra guys want these rears for their kit cars.

73 ranchero with a 89 5.0 EFI HO/AOD
THE PYL !
91 Tbird lx 5.0 swap
GONE 93 5.0 Stang vert
54 Ford Vicky PAXTON SUPERCHARGED 5.0 HO/AOD
86 F250 Diesel 4x4
GONE 89 Aerostar
2003 F350 Super duty
1996 Exploder
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-10-2004, 01:29 AM
4th Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally posted by Larry W7LES

Anyone want to hazard a guess what the bare subframe would sell for, and how much more would I likely be looking at for the loaded subframe with all the goodies on it? \
There was a guy out here a couple months ago selling a complete subframe out of an SC for $175. Don't know if he ever got rid of it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in