Cant get at a bolt? CUT IT! - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-09-2004, 05:42 PM Thread Starter

Cant get at a bolt? CUT IT!

So here I am today doing uca's and lower ball joints on the passenger side of my in laws 96 cougar, did the drivers side yesterday. I get to the rear nut on the upper. The AC drier, fuel hoses,and wiring bundle are all in the way. I couldnt even get enough clearance to get the wratcheting wrench over the nut. The owner of the body shop I was at, my in laws, sudgested cutting away the metal behind the inner fender liner and making my own access hole. I thought what the heck and drilled out about 8 welds, and made two cuts, and a prybar later, I had perfect access to the nut from the wheel well. Got it changed, welded the plate back in, of course being carefull of the fuel lines, and put some truck bed liner spray on it just for good measure. The inner liner covers it up anyway.

So to anyone struggling with this nut who has access to cutters, and welders. you can save some time.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-09-2004, 09:11 PM
On Probation

It would have taken a lot less time if you would have done this. Remove the strut. there is 3 nuts and one bolt on the bottom. It is also nessary to loosten the upper ball joint and remove the spindle from the upper ball joint. With the strut assembly removed you could have held the bolt head near the ac dryer with a open wrench and using a gear wrench where the the strut used to be or a short socket and flex socket.

What you have done is extreemly dangerous and the bodyshop is negelant for telling you any such thing NEVER DO IT AGAIN.

The strut side of the net has a metal tab that keeps it from rotatin that can eaisly be pried off with a screw driver. The ford service manual recomends replacing the bolt with a conventionl bolt metric grade 10.9.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-09-2004, 09:32 PM

You guys all make this too hard. If you take the weatherpack connector apart, and then take the bracket off of the fender, you have enough room to get to it, if you're patient. I've done it twice with a regular boxed end wrench. It takes all of 15 minutes to get it off. The last time I did it with a ratcheting wrench, it took about 5 minutes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-09-2004, 10:08 PM Thread Starter

Its only dangerous if you dont know what your doing with the cutters and welders. Its welded back plenty good and im not the least bit worried about it, but im not here to argue that, I got it done in about 10 minutes and it was easy after that.

I did forget to mention that I did have the strut removed and the bolt head on the A Arm, the one with the flag on it was stripped so bad I couldnt even turn it with vice grips, hence the extreme measures.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-10-2004, 04:39 AM

Talk about killing a fly with a shedgehammer...

Quote:
Originally posted by JohnNaas
So here I am today doing uca's and lower ball joints on the passenger side of my in laws 96 cougar, did the drivers side yesterday. I get to the rear nut on the upper. The AC drier, fuel hoses,and wiring bundle are all in the way. I couldnt even get enough clearance to get the wratcheting wrench over the nut. The owner of the body shop I was at, my in laws, sudgested cutting away the metal behind the inner fender liner and making my own access hole. I thought what the heck and drilled out about 8 welds, and made two cuts, and a prybar later, I had perfect access to the nut from the wheel well. Got it changed, welded the plate back in, of course being carefull of the fuel lines, and put some truck bed liner spray on it just for good measure. The inner liner covers it up anyway.

So to anyone struggling with this nut who has access to cutters, and welders. you can save some time.....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in