New Sway Bar Testimonials/Opinions - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-13-2004, 04:30 PM Thread Starter

New Sway Bar Testimonials/Opinions

I am thinking about getting 1 1/2" front and rear sway bars soon since I want better handling and I need to replace the Motor Mounts, so I will be dropping the K-Member, and I thought I would do it all at once. I was wondering what people have done here, what size sway bars and what kind of ride they get afterwards. My goal is to eliminate as much body roll as possible without completely distroying the ride of the MN12. I just want less body roll but not have all my filllings fall out after a drive to the grociery store.

What I would like to know is:
1. What size sway bar you upgraded to.
2. What was the difference in handling.
3. How was the ride as far as absorbing road abnormalities etc.
4. Anything I should worry about with the Eibach Prokit 1.5" Lowering Springs.

Thanks a lot guys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-13-2004, 05:03 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to 96bird
Where are you going to find 1 1/2" bars at? I'm sure you will get plenty of opinions on what setup is best.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-13-2004, 05:51 PM Thread Starter

OOPS! I meant 1 1/4" :0)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-13-2004, 06:57 PM

Quote:
but not have all my filllings fall out
Sounds like you need to brush and floss 3 times a day!
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-13-2004, 07:00 PM

And BTW, I have the big bars (1-3/8") and they're not too bone-jarring. Just get some good shocks. And if you don't want a super-harsh ride, I'd also go with the Eibachs or another progressive-rate spring instead of the linears like the Vogtlands on my car. Take my opinion for what you will, I don't really mind a rough ride and the only other car I've driven much to compare to was a 91 geo tracker. so the thunderbird would still have a better ride if you just put big steel cylinders in place of springs.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-13-2004, 07:19 PM
Heavily Medicated Crime Fighter

Send a message via AIM to Mark M. TCCoA VP Send a message via Yahoo to Mark M. TCCoA VP
Big Bars are smooth

"Mark M. TCCoA VP. Emeritus"

To the Batmobile ! ! !

ADDCO MN12 big bar R&D guru
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-13-2004, 10:59 PM
Overkill Fetish Freak

Bigger is better
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-14-2004, 09:55 AM
6th Gear Poster

I have a 1 1/4 in the front and 1 1/8 in the rear. And installed Bilstein shocks and it definantly stiffened the ride, but also installed Poly bushings. It handles so much better its not even funny.

I think 1 1/4 in the rear is a bit much, but thats just me. 4 cam bird has 1 13/8 f and r and he likes it, but he has larger rims also. It helps with the understeer no doubt about it. I raise the front tire off the ground when turning if there is any raise at all in the pavement. Which ever way the car turns that tire comes off the ground if gas is applied.

Very happy with the addition and checking into STB for the front and rear also.

Honor, Grace, and Dignity.....Do you remember these?
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-14-2004, 10:14 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to 94 Daily Driven 4.6L
Ask and ye shall receive:

http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.p...threadid=47308

http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.p...threadid=48280

97 Lincoln Mark VIII LSC (Chip'd, 3.73 T/L... so far... )
97 Ford Aspire (Slow, but getting 36 mpg (f'n Ethenol!! )
84 F250 Dually w/6.9L Diesel (7.3L IDI pending)
73 Mercury Cougar Convertible w/351C 4V (Partially Restored)
69 F100 LWB w/460 Engine
76 Glastron Carlson 23' Jet Boat w/460 CJ Engine
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-14-2004, 11:28 AM

Some say that stock front/1 1/8 rear make for the most neutral setup. I run stock front/1 3/8 rear and the car oversteers if you're really driving it.
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-14-2004, 02:04 PM
6th Gear Poster

I started my upgrades with 1-1/4" sway bars front and rear, along with a Tokico shock and lowering spring package. It is an excellent first upgrade to the suspension of these cars. But you will soon find out that with the stock rear end the ride is too stiff in the rear to maintain traction on uneven road, especially when turning. And in the snow, Forget it. So a posi-track rear end with MN-12 differential bushings are in short order. It takes care of that traction situation. New motor mounts? No doubt. When you redo suspension, everything you take off is worn out, especially the bushings, so replace new. Catch you on the rebound. Ed
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-15-2004, 09:27 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to 4 Cam Bird
I am running the 1 3/8 bars, Eibachs, bilsteins, poly bushings, JL's braces. We have pretty decent roads around here for the most part but I take the car a lot of places too. I haven't had any problems anywhere since I got everything straightened out. It will lift a back wheel angling up driveways on my car but that is the only thing that really annoys me with it at all. And it handles awesome. Someone I know was talling me they were working the corner at the auto x I went to in Iowa a couple weeks ago and someone else ont he corner made some comment about check out this guy with this big *** car. I proceeded to drive a sweet run and lay down a really solid time and the guy I know said the other guys on the corner didn't have anything else to say about the big *** car. Its a decent set up, with all the kinks now worked out I like it. If you just want to buy stuff that you can put on without much thought, I would recommend this set up, although after some talking to guys, reading and thinking I want to start screwing around with it more and might change everything around but it won't be cheap or easy.

Advise: double nut your rear end links that come with the Addco bars. You may also want to do some shimming of the front mounts to get things to bolt together right. Daily Driven has a post about what he did, I did something similar but instead of fabbing stuff up I just used two washers in each position. When putting it together, if something doesn't look right to you, don't leave it like that just because the instructions say it is good.

Former owner of 94 Bird with DOHC 4.6L swapped from a mark VIII

2011 CTS-V Wagon
1968 Torino was an original 289, C4, fully documented numbers matching car. Now: DOHC 4.6L/T-56 swapped, Cobra intake, IMRC delete, BBK long tubes and H pipe. Dynotech Aluminum Driveshaft, 9" rear with TrueTrac and 4.11's.
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-15-2004, 10:15 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
Originally posted by 4 Cam Bird
Advise: double nut your rear end links that come with the Addco bars.
Do you have any pictures of this?
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-15-2004, 10:36 AM
Overkill Fetish Freak

I doubt he can post them on this type of site.

post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-15-2004, 10:39 AM
6th Gear Poster

Good old Dr. Feel good at it again..........Now going to have that song in my head all day.........

Honor, Grace, and Dignity.....Do you remember these?
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-15-2004, 11:00 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
Originally posted by Dr. FrankenCougie
I doubt he can post them on this type of site.

post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-15-2004, 12:33 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Just put another nut above the first nut and tighten them together. I had to do it because I was having probelsm witht hem coming loose. I posted to see if anyone else was having this problem and I was not the only one so I would say it is a good idea to just do it from the start. I don't have a picture. I could say I'll take a picture tonight, but even if I get to taking it I might not get to posting it. I think it is adequately explained anyway.

2011 CTS-V Wagon
1968 Torino was an original 289, C4, fully documented numbers matching car. Now: DOHC 4.6L/T-56 swapped, Cobra intake, IMRC delete, BBK long tubes and H pipe. Dynotech Aluminum Driveshaft, 9" rear with TrueTrac and 4.11's.
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-15-2004, 12:36 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
Originally posted by Dr. FrankenCougie

Bigger is better
What are the washers you are using on your strut rod bushings? Just curious. Something off the shelf or soemthing you made/had made? I just realized I should have painted mine before I put them on...oh well.

2011 CTS-V Wagon
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-15-2004, 12:44 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
Just put another nut above the first nut and tighten them together. I had to do it because I was having probelsm witht hem coming loose. I posted to see if anyone else was having this problem and I was not the only one so I would say it is a good idea to just do it from the start. I don't have a picture. I could say I'll take a picture tonight, but even if I get to taking it I might not get to posting it. I think it is adequately explained anyway.
I haven't looked at the rear endlinks on an addco bar, so I didn't realize that there were enough threads to put another nut on top. That was really all I was wondering about.

Russell
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-15-2004, 01:08 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to 94 Daily Driven 4.6L
Quote:

Advise: double nut your rear end links that come with the Addco bars.
Did your sway bar end links come with Teflon lock nuts (mine did)? And if so, are these coming loose and needing to be double nutted?

I'll have to go and double check mine, but I haven't been hearing any "clunking".

97 Lincoln Mark VIII LSC (Chip'd, 3.73 T/L... so far... )
97 Ford Aspire (Slow, but getting 36 mpg (f'n Ethenol!! )
84 F250 Dually w/6.9L Diesel (7.3L IDI pending)
73 Mercury Cougar Convertible w/351C 4V (Partially Restored)
69 F100 LWB w/460 Engine
76 Glastron Carlson 23' Jet Boat w/460 CJ Engine
post #21 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-15-2004, 02:15 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Yep, they had the nylon insert style lock nuts. There was no clunking, just clinking of the bottom washer bouncing on the bolt head.

2011 CTS-V Wagon

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in