STB/SFC reliability? - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-14-2004, 06:48 PM Thread Starter

STB/SFC reliability?

I'm seriously thinking about getting a set of Rich's front/rear strut tower bars for my car to improve the handling. Since my car is very heavy, I am concerned about the chassis stiffening. The car takes a pounding, not because I beat it up, but because the roads I drive on are really crappy. I'm worried that eliminating the give in the car would put undue stress on other parts of the car, resulting in stress cracks or more wear and tear on the suspension. Are my concerns justified or will the suspension just soak it up w/o any trouble? If anybody has had any trouble or good luck with this, let me know.

Also you guys running Rich's or JL's stuff, how do you like it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-14-2004, 06:51 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to 96bird
I am running JL's K-member brace, SFC, and rear STB. I really like it. The car is much more solid than it was before. I have had no problems with stress cracks and I drive on some bad roads, and it seems to soak up bumps better now that I have the connectors than when I didn't.

Russell
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-14-2004, 07:57 PM

Well, since I've only made about 10 rear stbs, I'd say that JL has the market cornered. I haven't made a front brace yet, just mocked one up for a couple friends with Supercoupes. I also have no intention of making SFCs at all, and am going to order mine from JL in the near future.

In regards to your question, I would much rather rely on my shocks and springs to do their jobs, then rely on chassis flex to do it for them. Which would you rather have, worn out shocks or a tweaked chassis?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-14-2004, 10:06 PM
High-Mileage 4.6L Thrasher

Quote:
Originally posted by Rich95XR7

In regards to your question, I would much rather rely on my shocks and springs to do their jobs, then rely on chassis flex to do it for them. Which would you rather have, worn out shocks or a tweaked chassis?
Wise words..and logical thinking.
JL

1997 Thunderbird-4.6L/[email protected]
'05 F250 Crewcab 2WD-6.8L V10/5R110/4.10
2010 Lincoln MKT-3.5L EcoBoost V6/[email protected] stock
Fuelly
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-19-2004, 01:44 AM
4th Gear Poster

I put a Kenny Brown strut tower brace in mine four years ago, and I have no issues with it. It came with cheap hardware, but I bought some grade 8 equivalent stainless 12 point bolts and nyloc nuts from ARP to mount it with. I felt like it firmed up the front end a little, but that's probably because I shelled out $120... The coil packs had to be maneuvered around, too. 6 holes to drill, no big deal. Measure and mark twice, drill once.

JL wasn't making his parts yet when I bought mine, but everything I've ever read here about his stuff is positive, and I'd venture to say he'll back anything he makes up. Rich has been around a while, too. One of these days I'll get around to the other braces.

My Fiero GT flexes big time, since I put the polyurethane bushings and lowering springs in it. I can see cracks in the paint all around the sun roof opening. Someday I'll figure out how to stiffen its chassis structure up as well. I'm a firm believer in the theory that the suspension needs to do the work, not the chassis. The less equivalent unsprung weight, the better.

97 LX, 4.6, Dynomax catback, Mustang MAF/intake tube and Aviator throttle body, Xcalibrator2 by Lonnie at BOC, 180 t-stat, Super Coupe wheels with 235/60/16's, Kenny Brown strut tower brace, Tokico Blues, Eibach Pro-kit, some strategically placed MN12 Performance polyurethane pieces, '02 Grand Marquis transmission

Submariners do it deeper...
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-19-2004, 08:28 AM

Want to see flexing? You should have seen my old Mustang, even with subframe connectors, I had a noticeable buckle behind the rear quarter windows. Upon further inspection, The welds that run around the inner fender welds in the rear hatch had seperated, and had seperated enough to where you could look through and see the rear axle and the ground. There was no way to fix it, so the car was officially scrapped. I used to be like everyone else, and figured the rear braces really didn't make much of a difference, but a rear STB would have saved my car.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in