Will Lowering Mess with my comfort? - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-14-2004, 10:26 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to BeasTx
Will Lowering Mess with my comfort?

Hello, i wanted to know if i put some SpringTech lowering springs on my car..will it be all bouncy, or will it ride the same, increasing handling?

1995 thunderbird lx 4.6L-

gutted cats, flowmasters in rear

K&N, hypertech chip.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-14-2004, 10:30 PM
PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to joshbea6
Putting lowering springs on the MN12-Tbird/cougar/mark VIII body will not add bounce to your ride. It may stiffen things up a little, and DRAMATICALLY improve handling, but it will not make it more bouncy.

-Josh

1997 LX Sport 4.6L 2.73 , MODS=SCT tuned/J-Mod/Trans Cooler/Dyno max Cat-Back/NgkPlugs/Mac cold air/March UD's/FRPP aluminumcarrier3.73's(spare for strip use)/ PI cams + PI intake manifold w/adapter plate/ Mark VIII Convertor/80mm L-Maf/70mm TB/ Mark VIII 1 piece shaft/Cobra R' wheels/ Kumhos 235/60/16 - White leather w/ blue cloth seats - white face gauges in 95 cluster
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-15-2004, 04:49 AM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

k, i just dont want it to be nasty on the highway.. ya know, like peoepl could still sleep while i'm driving ^^

K&N, hypertech chip.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-15-2004, 12:59 PM

Mine was lowered about 4.5 inches at one point, and still rode OK, so 1.5 inches would be nothing.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-15-2004, 09:30 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

cool ^^

K&N, hypertech chip.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-18-2004, 04:22 AM
3rd Gear Poster

Only thing that you have to be careful of is bottoming out now that you are lowered. You cannot enter driveways as fast as you could with the stock springs. If you are adding the lowering springs, I would recommend that you add the larger sway bars which will significantly improve the handeling.

AED 9 PSI Supercharger, .30 over Forged Block with Manley H-Beam Rods & Pistons, Innovative West 10% Overdrive Crank Pulley, Thump RRR Tensioner Pulley, Cobra Crankshaft, BPE Racing Stage 2 Ported & Polished Heads, Crower Direct Replacement Cams, 70MM Throttle Body, MAC Cold Air Intake, 80 MM L-MAF, 38Lbs Injectors, JBA Ceramic Coated Headers, Metal Matrix Drive Shaft, Kevlar Clutch & Kolene Reaction Plate Transmission, True 2.5" Dual Magnaflow Exhaust (Cats & Mufflers), Griffin 1 1/4" Radiator, B&M Racing Trans Cooler, Hughes 2750 Stall Torque Converter, 3.73:1 Gears with Traction Lock Differential, Trans-Go Kit, Superchips Custom Tune for Supercharger, 17" SVT Wheels, Kenny Brown Suspension Enhancers & Eibrach Lowering Kit.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-18-2004, 04:40 AM
Banned

the lower you are to the ground the more stable it is...or the lower your center of gravity....o wait....or was it um....GAH!!
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-18-2004, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BeasTx
Hello, i wanted to know if i put some SpringTech lowering springs on my car..will it be all bouncy, or will it ride the same, increasing handling?
I have these springs, dropped about 2.25 inches the first day, and have continued to settle to about 2.75 so far.....

I love my springs.......

Dave
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-18-2004, 07:58 AM

So the ST are actually lower than advertised? Got a Pic? I'm in the market for a new set of springs right now.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-18-2004, 08:30 AM

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-18-2004, 10:14 AM
Johnny Bling Bling

Send a message via AIM to 93 lx
Quote:
Originally posted by BeasTx
no bouncy

increase handling

rougher ride. i have the v6(not as big as v8 drop) eibachs mated to kyb's, and it is a lot less comfortable than stock, but i guess the handling payoff is worth it. and it looks REAL nice!

2003 Ford Expedition: 5.4L, harley supercharger, 2.93 upper pulley, 4lb lower pulley, c&l plenum, jlp cai, LFP SBTB, FTSP, Magnaflow 3" catback, Eclipse AVN-5510, white face gauges, cobalt c2 boost gauge, ddm hid's, 379 rwhp, 465 rwtq sold 11/3/12

2009 Ford Flex Limited AWD
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-18-2004, 11:30 AM

Send a message via AIM to JustinH
with my combo (bilsteins, vogtland springs, addco big bar), the ride is very very stiff.

I like it though. It doesn't ride like a couch, it rides like a much sportier car than mother ford intended.

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-19-2004, 01:26 AM
4th Gear Poster

I have Eibach's (as of 6 months ago)and Tokico Blues (as of 4 years ago). They work really well together, IMHO. Not any noticeable difference to me in the ride from the stock mushy LX springs and Tokicos, but the drop isn't that large, either. Looks like what it SHOULD have looked like from the factory.

Ditto the comments about speed bump bottoming, curbs, etc. And your alignment will be off after the install, guaranteed. It should be able to be corrected, but the alignment shop will actually have to more than just check the toe, so you need to be upfront with them about getting it done right.

Good time to set aside some extra cash for upper control arm/balljoint assemblies, if you have any miles on yours. My upper balljoints and lower control arm-to-strut arm bushings were toast. Unless you have good shocks/struts already, now is a good time to do them as well. And don't forget to get the new lower strut bolts/nuts, and upper spindle pinch bolts/nuts.

97 LX, 4.6, Dynomax catback, Mustang MAF/intake tube and Aviator throttle body, Xcalibrator2 by Lonnie at BOC, 180 t-stat, Super Coupe wheels with 235/60/16's, Kenny Brown strut tower brace, Tokico Blues, Eibach Pro-kit, some strategically placed MN12 Performance polyurethane pieces, '02 Grand Marquis transmission

Submariners do it deeper...
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-23-2004, 08:20 AM
PostWhore

Garage
I had both Addco bars, Tokico Blues and SC springs. Going to the Vougtland springs lowered the car and increased handling. Going over potholes is much more noticeable now. My wife complains about that when she rides with me. Fortunately we have pretty good roads here so not a big deal to me. I now bottom out sometimes and hit on tall parking curbs. It hits where the JL SFCs attach to the front. I have 245/50-16 tires that are an inch in diameter smaller than stock. I plan on putting on taller tires next time. I think that half an inch will make a difference.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in