lower mounting bolt siezed - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-26-2004, 04:53 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to powerhouze
lower mounting bolt siezed

Ok here it is. I was replacing bolt struts. I changed the pass-side strut and upper control arm. the dirve-side lower mounting bolt is stuck. I tried all the tricks in the book. 1st hammer. then added some break away wd40 hammered some more. 2nd sledge. then added some more break away. I finally got an air-hammer. Went to town on that thing. I ended up leaving it. I decided to just ge a new lowere control arm. So i orderd both upper and lower. I was stupid enought to forget to order the lower mounting bolt.

so here's my question. does anyone know where to get the lower strut bolt? keep in minde i have a 96 lx 4.6l stock suspension.
Thank you.

Frank

99 trans w/2800 stall (thanks to Darrin and Dirtydog) Mac Underdrive, CAI, SSAutoChrome headers sitting in my closet (For Sale), ford factory 4.10 ring/pinion in the closet also(for sale) 2 mtx 6x9s in the back .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-26-2004, 05:03 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

thats probably something you'll have to get from ford.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-26-2004, 05:06 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

that's what i figure. i can't find it online anywhere except for rockauto and they would have to ship it. It's not at autozone, murray's, or sears.

99 trans w/2800 stall (thanks to Darrin and Dirtydog) Mac Underdrive, CAI, SSAutoChrome headers sitting in my closet (For Sale), ford factory 4.10 ring/pinion in the closet also(for sale) 2 mtx 6x9s in the back .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-27-2004, 09:58 AM

You said you were replacing the struts. If by strut you mean shocks, then the lower mounting bolt should come with the shock, at least with factory replacements.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-27-2004, 02:23 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

The front strut. They are a Mac Pherson's strut assembly. The sturt tower is concealed by spring witch is compressed an held in with the upper mount. What i need is the lower mounting bolt which connects to the lower control arm. Which is guess in typical design would be called a cam bolt. Thanks for your inquiry.

Frank

I hope this informatin can more clearly decribe my prblem.

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-27-2004, 03:17 PM
MAMN12 Posse Member

From what I've read on here, there's supposed to be something that's holding the bolt in...like some kind of collar around it that needs to be split open so the bolt comes out...that's why you can't hammer it out. I just changed mine a few days back, and both of mine popped out with very little effort though.

And by the way, if you're looking for a good penetrant...dunno where to find it because I found it in my garage and have no idea where it came from. It's called GT-85, stuff works like nothing I've used before.

~Jeff

*signed off
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-27-2004, 10:25 PM

Well, my friend, it is a well known fact that the 89-97 Thunderbird in fact has shocks on the front, not Mcpherson struts. In your original post you state "Ok here it is. I was replacing bolt struts. I changed the pass-side strut and upper control arm".

If you look at the diagram you linked to, you will notice that the McPherson strut configuration does not utilize an upper control arm.The strut actually IS the upper control arm. The upper end of the strut is adjustable for purposes of alignment, and the strut is necessary to hold the spindle upright. On the Thunderbird, however, note that the shock (with spring attached) can be romoved and the spindle will remain upright thanks to the UPPER control arm, which is typical in a non-McPherson configuration.

The lower shock mount in the lower control arm is basically a rolled steel sleeve supported in the arm by a rubber bushing. The shock mount bolt is notorious for corroding inside the sleeve and being a real bi*** to remove in some cases.

I know that the front shocks you get from Ford come with the lower mount bolt. You said you replaced the shock on the passenger side. Are you sure there isn't a lower mount bolt in the kit that you have?
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-28-2004, 01:54 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

Oh. thanks for the info. I thought it was a mac stut for the fact that the shock is contained in the spring. My bad. As for there being a bolt with the strut. no luck. I wish it was that easy. the upper control i got from rockout however had a grease fitting unlike the other one i got from some wholesale shope online. I'm gonna run down to the dealer to see what they can do.

Thank you guys for the reply.

Frank

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-28-2004, 02:02 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to 94 Daily Driven 4.6L
Also a tip on removing stubborn nuts/bolts: use PB Blaster instead of WD40.

PB Blaster is designed specifically for loosening seized nuts/bolts, whereas WD40 is more of a lubricant/rust inhibitor. PB Blaster beats WD40 hands down!

97 Lincoln Mark VIII LSC (Chip'd, 3.73 T/L... so far... )
97 Ford Aspire (Slow, but getting 36 mpg (f'n Ethenol!! )
84 F250 Dually w/6.9L Diesel (7.3L IDI pending)
73 Mercury Cougar Convertible w/351C 4V (Partially Restored)
69 F100 LWB w/460 Engine
76 Glastron Carlson 23' Jet Boat w/460 CJ Engine
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-28-2004, 03:14 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

Where can i find it. I think i'll take everything off and try a press. That might just be the one thing I should've tried but didn't think of. I still need to run up the the dealership Though. It would still be easier if they had one.

post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-28-2004, 04:18 PM
Whining Intakes Rock

Quote:
Originally posted by powerhouze
Where can i find it. ...
Autozone or Advance. I got PB at Advance.

_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/ I like intakes that whine \_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_

# SELECT * FROM users WHERE clue > 0;
# 0 rows returned
# drop table users;_
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-28-2004, 09:59 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

here's another tip for removing stubborn nuts/bolts. map gas, heat the hell out of them and smack em out with a bfh.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-29-2004, 02:38 AM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

Oh yeah. I tried that. It was cherry.

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-29-2004, 12:36 PM
2nd Gear Poster

If you are replacing the LCA and dont need the old bolt out of the hole just go and get a new grade 8 bolt and nut. That is what I had to do with mine (I didnt try and find an original one...The diameter and length are the only things that matter). My 96-97 Sport coil over shocks I got from Ford did not have a replacement bolt included. Use the bold from your passenger side to find the right length diameter.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-29-2004, 08:02 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

Good suggestion. However. I ended up buying the bolt at murray's. It was 10 bucks. They got in a day. I ordered it yesterday and just picked it up a coulpe hours ago. I'm going to install everything tomorrow. Thanks everyone for you suggestions.

post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-01-2004, 01:21 AM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

Well just got done working on it. Dang PITA. I think it's the crap weather that we have up in michigan that causes everything to siez up and rust to heck.

post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-01-2004, 02:12 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

if you put some anti-sieze on there you wont have to worry the next time you take it apart.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in