Gonna do my suspension this week, need help =) - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-12-2004, 12:11 AM Thread Starter
The Band, not the Disease!

Send a message via AIM to AnthraxBird
Gonna do my suspension this week, need help =)

Ok guys, im going to put in my shocks and lowering springs this week. I think I have the procedure for the fronts down. 1. Raise the car. 2. Remove the wheel. 3. Put pressure on the lower control arm with a hydrolic jack, then remove the spindle from the UCA. 4. Remove the caliper assembly, and unbolt the brake line bracket and put the caliper assembly to the side. 5. Undo the upper mount bolt from the roll bar. Sound OK? I'm not too sure about the rears.. so here it goes. 1. Remove the wheel. 2. Remove the shock. 3. Unbolt the roll bar upper bolt. 4. Push down on the lower arm and pull the spring out? I never did suspension. Sorry guys im still not clear on this... Can someone post a detailed, numbered, step-by step procedure for the front and rear shock / spring removal? (When I get the front assemblies out, im going to take it to a local suspension shop to install the new springs on the shocks. Do I still have to mark the location of the springs? Thanks. =)

1997 Mark VIII LSC - Toreador Red
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-12-2004, 12:20 AM
3rd Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to powerhouze
On the front. In my experience. I've never had to undo any of the brake assembly. There is a lower mounting bolt and 3 bolts ontop. It probably would be easier to get the strut out with the upper control arm disconnected. There's a thread floating around here with some good diagrams. I'm not positive about taking the rear springs out. I haven't done it before. Never had to. I've always delt with the front strut's or rear shocks. I don't know that the rear springs need to be compressed to get em out. Good luck. If i find out anything i will deffinatly post.
Hope this helps'

Frank

99 trans w/2800 stall (thanks to Darrin and Dirtydog) Mac Underdrive, CAI, SSAutoChrome headers sitting in my closet (For Sale), ford factory 4.10 ring/pinion in the closet also(for sale) 2 mtx 6x9s in the back .
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-12-2004, 12:33 AM Thread Starter

In my haynes, they say to put the spring compressors on the rear springs to get them out. I've read that guys just push on the lower control arm and pull on the spring to get them out... I hope it's not a pain in the a$$ to install em... I imagine the lowering springs won't be as hard as the stockers. Thanks =) Can anyone else reply to my first post? Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-12-2004, 06:31 PM Thread Starter

Anyone??/

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-12-2004, 07:30 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to 96bird
Here

That should help. Its all I used. What all are you going to do? You put suspension, but that doesn't tell me much. Is it everything or just shocks and springs? You don't have to use a spring compresser to get the rear springs out.

Russell
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-12-2004, 07:31 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to 96bird
After I find out exactly what you are doing....I will post any help or hints that I can think of.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-13-2004, 01:00 AM Thread Starter

new shocks, and springs. thats it =)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in