TCCoA Forums banner

Front Suspension Problem

690 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  96_LX 
#1 ·
Hey guys, I am kind of new to TCCoA, been lurking a bit. Anyways, I have a 96 4.6 V8 LX Thunderbird, and the front tires are worn almost bald. My dad replaced all four tires with kirkland signature cheapies maybe 5000 miles ago. The rear tires are fine, but the fronts are obviously nearing death. I want to fix it before I put some good grippers on there. I guess my question is what parts would cause such fast tire wear? I don't know much about suspension, but I have gotten tips that it could be ball joints or maybe LCA's. I will have it on a lift next week, what should I look for? Thanks for any help ;)

#2 ·
everything

check tie rod ends, LCA balljoint, and the upper ball joint tire wear is almost certainly tie rod ends and LCA balljoint

check your strut rod bushings as well (the funny shaped bar goin from LCA to front frame of car, has a bend in middle)

#4 ·
jamesD said:
everything

check tie rod ends, LCA balljoint, and the upper ball joint tire wear is almost certainly tie rod ends and LCA balljoint

check your strut rod bushings as well (the funny shaped bar goin from LCA to front frame of car, has a bend in middle)
Agree with James, when these cars get up there in mileage, you need to replace everything. When you get it up on the rack just check for play. I had to replace all four control arms in my last two tbirds due to ripped boots in the top and play in the bottom joints. Tie rod ends are more than likely toast also. There are so many parts in there, just make a big list and order everything from rockauto.

If it has factory shocks they are probably worse than done also.

Spend a few hundred bucks and do all the work yourself and its totally worth it, then spend some more money and get it aligned and you will be all set for years to come.

#5 ·
Thanks for the help guys. The bird is really starting to grow on me. I found out quick that it is pointless to have it at WOT at any time though.

BTW, the tire wear is all on the outsides of the front tires.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.