What all do I need? - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-02-2005, 10:56 PM Thread Starter

What all do I need?

I was planning on replacing the control arms on the tbird with my buddy. I have never done any suspension work and he has done a little bit. We were also going to lower the car while we were at it. I was wondering if there was anything else that i need to get? so far i have this from rockauto

LOWER LEFT #K80053
LOWER RIGHT #K80055
UPPER LEFT #K8596
UPPER RIGHT #K8598

And I was going to get the ST springs from JC Whitney. Is there anything else that i need to buy? And is there anything that we should know before hand that would help us with this, and finally how long should this take us to complete? Thanks for the help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-03-2005, 10:41 AM
motor city poster

Send a message via AIM to Red96Bird
for those uppper controll arms, but a 18mm ratcheting wrench, you will understand when you go to do them.

btw, they are not all that hard, but the passenger upper controll arm rear bolt is the hardest to get to. and after you install all of you new parts be prepared to have however far u need to drive to get the car aligend a very interesting drive,

i just lowerd mine friday with one new lowercontroll arm and that 5 mile drive to belle tire was definitely interesting,

but overall its not that hard, if your car doesnt have new shocks or newer, i would buy new ones, most people would reccommend and upgrade but i just went with stock replacements and so far i already have about 200 miles on my new shock spring upgrade and i love it

i have the st springs and kyb shocks..
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-03-2005, 07:33 PM Thread Starter

yep i was expecting a "fun" drive to get it alligned. and i replaced the shocks in Oct.

anybody know about how long it could take?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-03-2005, 08:32 PM
6th Gear Poster

not too long..i just did my lowers today (did the uppers about 6 months ago). I ended replacing more then i thought though. The stabilzer links were both torn too. So i picked up 2 of them and put them on while doing the lowers. And u might also need some strut bushings (to lower control arm) . I went to Auto Zone and they had a pack with all four of them in there for only 15 bucks, instead of advcance, which only had 2 in each pack for 15 each. Stabilizers were cheaper at Auto Zone then at advance too. But now there aren't any weird sounds coming from the front.

It took about 3 hours today to do them (the stabilizers are a PITA, but it could just be me.) Always takes longer the first time u've ever done anything like that.

The uppers were alot harder, u can find some tips on this forum using the search. Good luck
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-04-2005, 06:07 PM
motor city poster

Send a message via AIM to Red96Bird
well the springs arent too hard, if you just did the springs, about 2-3 hours ( it took me that long with air tools and such and a wall mounted spring compressor right beside me) but the controll arms, arent too hard either, just be patient with that passenger upper, its a pita. but the lowers arent too bad, just try to remember where those "cam" bolts are to keep somewhat aligned (where the lower controll arm mounts to the body/frame). your gonna need some big sockets/wrenches for those lca bolts, i believe 21mm for the mount to body, 24 or 27 for the strut rod, 21&18 for the lower shock bolt, 19mm for the top shock bolt (unless u have someone to remove and replace the springs for you) 13 mm for top shock bolts (where it mounts to the car) and then a 27mm& 24? for the ball joints (27 is original size, 24 came with the new lca)

sorry if it sounds like i did this yesterday but i did it friday night and saturday morning

oh yea, 18mm socket and 18 mm ratcheting wrench for those uca's

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in