For all those running SN95 Spindles - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-28-2005, 11:32 AM Thread Starter
Veteran Poster

For all those running SN95 Spindles

I giong to do a SN95 swap on the front of my LSC......so i am talking about FOX body birds here. Anyone done this swap on here???

Reason I ask:

Looking to find out if the swap PUSHES the wheel too far out and look tacky. There is a question that the swap will push the wheel out so far that it will look like the front is wider than the rear. THis has been mentioned with SOME wheels, not all.

------------------------- Dan Gilsdorf ---------------------------
www.Silverfoxtrans.com
www.clickclickracing.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-29-2005, 11:03 AM Thread Starter
Veteran Poster

no one?

No of any sites dedicated to FOX birds?

www.Silverfoxtrans.com
www.clickclickracing.com
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-29-2005, 11:36 AM
Awaiting E-Mail Confirmation

SN95 is not the same as the Fox platform, so I don't think you can use the spindles off of a SN95 on a Fox.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-29-2005, 12:03 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Poster

What planet are you from?

Fox mustang 83-93
Fox Bird/cougar 83-88
Fox Mark VII 84-92

SN95 mustang 94-2004........
Looking to put SN95 **** on a fox......don't reply if you don't know what the f you are talking about.

www.Silverfoxtrans.com
www.clickclickracing.com
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-29-2005, 02:22 PM
Awaiting E-Mail Confirmation

Take a pill and chill out, dude. I answered your question with a logical response. You have a Fox. You want toe put SN95 stuff on it. Not compatible. 'Nuff said.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-29-2005, 02:40 PM

Yes they are compatible, no I don't know how far they push the wheels out, but Mustang guys do it all the time.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-29-2005, 02:50 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman_72
Take a pill and chill out, dude. I answered your question with a logical response. You have a Fox. You want toe put SN95 stuff on it. Not compatible. 'Nuff said.
sorry tinman.....I realize this is a brid site and not a mustang site......should have not got onto you like that. Guess the FOX guys aren't hanging around here today.

www.Silverfoxtrans.com
www.clickclickracing.com
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-29-2005, 03:53 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to 4 Cam Bird
I know there is a correct way to do it and a half *** way to do it. If you do it the right way you are fine, if you do it the half *** way it doesn't stick the wheels out noticeable far but it prevents you from getting center caps on wheels. One of my friends did it the half *** way and one did it the right way, but that is all I know, sorry I don't know any more details. I'd search ont he corral, I bet this question has been asked a million times there.

Former owner of 94 Bird with DOHC 4.6L swapped from a mark VIII

2011 CTS-V Wagon
1968 Torino was an original 289, C4, fully documented numbers matching car. Now: DOHC 4.6L/T-56 swapped, Cobra intake, IMRC delete, BBK long tubes and H pipe. Dynotech Aluminum Driveshaft, 9" rear with TrueTrac and 4.11's.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-29-2005, 04:13 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to 94 Daily Driven 4.6L
Here is just a little of a Yahoo search on "sn 95 spindles on fox thunderbird" found...

http://www.coolcats.net/tech/advanced/4to5lug.html
http://www.corral.net/forums/archive.../t-150170.html

And I'm not 100% sure, but doesn't the LSC have the larger ball joint and longer lower arm than the Mustang? Doesn't it use the same lower arm as the SVO? (It's been too many years since I researched that).

97 Lincoln Mark VIII LSC (Chip'd, 3.73 T/L... so far... )
97 Ford Aspire (Slow, but getting 36 mpg (f'n Ethenol!! )
84 F250 Dually w/6.9L Diesel (7.3L IDI pending)
73 Mercury Cougar Convertible w/351C 4V (Partially Restored)
69 F100 LWB w/460 Engine
76 Glastron Carlson 23' Jet Boat w/460 CJ Engine
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-29-2005, 07:03 PM
PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to 94TchikinV8 Send a message via Yahoo to 94TchikinV8
I know a guy who parts out Mustangs on the side, and sells the spindle assemblies to fox body guys for the swap. He told me that the 94-95 spindles are more desireable due to something with the steering geometry, but as far as I know, the 96-98 assemblies should work too. I don't know all the differences between a fox mark vii and a fox stang, but I would think they should be fairly similar. The guy I was talking about has seller id on ebay 86lxmustang. He may have some spindles at his house if you email him. I have dealt with him on quite a few occasions, and he is a very good guy to deal with; in fact, I'm going to call him in a bit to get more parts from him.

Also, I'm not sure if it's compatible with an 8.8 or not, it may be, but I have a complete 7.5" rear axle with disc brakes out of a 95 v6 mustang that I would like to sell (still in car). I think the brakes may work themselves, but I think when people do the swap they get Ranger axles or something. You would need to research this further.

Thanks,
Rob

1994 Thunderbird LX V8

Still in pieces in the garage awaiting body work, paint, and a drivetrain...

Currently driving a 98 Mustang GT convertible:
02 Explorer engine, Comp 262ah cams, Steeda underdrives, aftermarket H-pipe with high flow cats, SLP LM1 exhaust, MGW shifter, RAM clutch
[email protected], 2.17 60ft(stock 2.73s, worn-out trac-lok)
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-29-2005, 10:23 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Well according to the link I posted, the SN94 spindles will not work with the Mark VII lower control arms just like I was thinking.

Quote:
Spindles - You can use spindles from a 1987-88 Turbo Coupe or 1987-93 Mustang V8 ONLY. If you're tempted to use a Lincoln Mark VII spindle, it's not going to work. The ball joint used on those cars is the culprit. Not only is the hole in the spindle for the ball joint too big, but the ball joint housing itself (in the A-arms) for a Mark VII is wider than what's used on the Mustang, Turbo Coupe or even your car. In other words, you cannot even use the Mark VII A-arms to correct that situation. It is highly advised to avoid using 1984-92 Mark VII spindles when going to the 5-lug swap.
And
Quote:
...I have a complete 7.5" rear axle with disc brakes out of a 95 v6 mustang ...
That really sounds like someone swapped an SVO rear end up under a V6 car. To my knowledge, the rear disc did not come factory on any Fox platform car except the SVO. (Someone correct me if I'm wrong. ) Is it 5 lug, or 4 lug?

69 F100 LWB w/460 Engine
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-30-2005, 12:47 AM
PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to 94TchikinV8 Send a message via Yahoo to 94TchikinV8
It's not a fox body, it's a 95 v6 sn95 car. It is five lug. As far as I know, it's a factory 7.5" rear axle. It's still under the body I bought to rebuild my 96 GT. I can take pictures if you want to see it.

1994 Thunderbird LX V8

Still in pieces in the garage awaiting body work, paint, and a drivetrain...

Currently driving a 98 Mustang GT convertible:
02 Explorer engine, Comp 262ah cams, Steeda underdrives, aftermarket H-pipe with high flow cats, SLP LM1 exhaust, MGW shifter, RAM clutch
[email protected], 2.17 60ft(stock 2.73s, worn-out trac-lok)
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-03-2005, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman_72
Wrong. SN95 spindles onto Fox cars is one of the most popular upgrades out there, due in part to better brake kits like the M2300X.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-04-2005, 06:05 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercutio
Wrong. SN95 spindles onto Fox cars is one of the most popular upgrades out there, due in part to better brake kits like the M2300X.
Agreed. And the SN95 has much better geometry (I think it even improves the anti-dive characteristics, but I’m not sure). But it won't work with anything that uses the large ball joint. (SVO and Mark VII)

69 F100 LWB w/460 Engine
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-04-2005, 08:30 AM Thread Starter
Veteran Poster

Well, i know what is going on, I can answer all the questions above......so the swap info is not what I need - I just need to find some folks that have done a SN95 Swap with 94/95 spindles and have them confirm thier wheels size/make/tire size and how it looks to the eye.

Here is the swap info that I put together on FvC (MarkVII headquarters), It just has not been confirmed about how it looks to the eye.

Since I will have to modify the info for FOX BIRDS, the info below may be off a tad - I did my best

Here is the info gathered in a concise format so no one has to wade through the mass of info on the other threads. I will update this info as the need arrises. The swap is as simple as bolting stuff - or tough, epending rout you go.

First: If you want to upgrade to SN95 Brakes, the simple route it so swap your entire assembly to SN95 SPindles - DONE! If you want NEW FLCA's for SN95 arms (they are the EXACT SAME LENGTH). You can use the springs or not - detailed info below.

Quote:
SN95 Mustang = 1994 - 2004

SN95 (1994-2004) Lower Control Arms Facts:
1) Mount to the M7/T-bird OEM K-member,
2) Struts will work in the M7/T-bird OEM tower mounts
3) Improve steering/suspension geometry
4) Hold brake upgrades
5) SN95 Lower control arms are the same exact length as the M7/T-bird/Cougar

SN95 Spindles:
1) Have improved geometry over the Fox spindles and SVO
2) 1994-95 have curved tie rod arm that has proven to be the best for FOX upgrades
3) 1996+ have straight tie rod arms that seem to be placed in the EXACT spot where the tie rod should be mounted – thus: Tie rod on bottom, too much bumpsteer. Tie rod
on top – impact 11” rotor. You might get away with it on 13” Cobra rotors.
4) 1996+ are move the wheel out even further by 8mm, this would be worse than an already increasing problem.

You might need:
1) Bumpsteer kit.

You will need:
1) 94-98 brake lines with banjo bolts to mount SN95 Calipers
2) Mustang struts due to the shock body differences (Boosted23L)
3) Wheels that fit the new rotor/brake combo (Mustang)
4) SN95 Inner tie rod do to the legth you will need for the spindles (Boosted23L)
5) SN95 Outer tie rods do to the inners being metric thread (Boosted23L)

Spindle / COntrol Arm options: Since the SN95 SPindle does not fit the SVO/M7 Balljoint:
1) Machine out the 94-95 spindle to fit the larger SVO/M7 balljoint (No need for T-birds)
2) machine/make spacers to fit the smaller SN95 balljoint into the SVO/M7 balljoint hole in (No need for T-birds)
the OEM control arm
3) Mount SN95/T-bird Front control arms on the car - use springs or fabricate ways to make airride work with this setup (M7 only)

Fabrication & Hypothesized problems:
1) SN95 Spindles push the wheel out further than FOX/SVO spindles and MAY cause SOME wheels to not fit under the fender - this would look horrid unless you spaced the rear wheels out to match - which is not a good idea. Emphasize the MAY and SOME. (qestion raised above)
2) BYE BYE to ABS forever. This may still be an option, but for simple upgrades it
doesn’t warrant the work. (SoutherMD on FvC HAS invented a combination that will keep the factory ABS (5/01/05)
3) May have to fabricate a new sway bar mount on the SN95 lowers

Misc. Notes:
1) SoutherMDLSC developed a CHEAP way to mount SN95 Ball joints into the factory lower control arms. This would allow you to mount the SN95+ Spindles to the factory lower control arms and not have to fabricate anything to make the SN95+ lower control arms work for air ride. Obviously if you had springs, the complete SN95 suspension swap would make perfect sense. At the time this was written, Sal Paradise and I are working on machined spacers to make this swap a perfect fit.
2) Cobra kits will upgrade your brakes to as large as you can go (13"), but must run aftermarket or Mustang wheels.
3) You can upgrade to any SN95 rotor/caliper combo - but you must use the caliper DESIGN & YEAR that is made for that DESIGN & YEAR rotor you are using. (EX – you can not use 1994 60mm calipers with 1998 rotors)
4) 1999+ V6 and GT front calipers (duel 40mm) and Cobra calipers (?mm) are the
only FORD options you have to upgrade your calipers BETTER than what you have
now (M7 73mm) - Fox calipers will not fit SN95 Spindles.
5) SN95 V6 and GT both have EXACT same front suspension with exception of the strut (GT-V8 has heavier valving)....
6) You can run, and mount FOX/SN95 front struts, but they are NOT valve for such a heavy car
7) Running Steeda X2 or Ford FMS-3050-S ball joints MAY force the MARKVII/T-bird lower control arm into contacting the rotor. This is a proven fact on FOX mustangs that have 11" rotors - you must run 13" rotors (Cobra) for this too work on FOX control arms.

As of yet (that I know of) the complete swap has not been done that retains air ride.

http://mjbobbitt.home.comcast.net/mustang/5lug.html
http://www.nomotivation.com/5lug.cfm
http://www.coolcats.net/tech/advanced/4to5lug.html
Paul from SVPU

www.Silverfoxtrans.com
www.clickclickracing.com

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in