Will this work? - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-23-2005, 07:33 AM Thread Starter
Jack of all trades, Master of none

Will this work?

Ok, so I have a bad power steering fluid leak. This weekend I finally found where it was coming from. There is a metal hose that screws into the rack on the passenger side and goes across and up to the pump. This hose was rubbing against another hose and it rubbed a hole in it. I called the local ford dealership and they called it an intermediate L rack hose or something. Anyway, it will take a week to get here, plus I have to go pay for it in advance.
Well, last night I tried something. I unscrewed the hose from the rack, and where the hole was I just finished the job. It was ready to break either way and it was so bad I couldn't drive it anyway. So, I go some fuel hose and a few hose clamps and made a patch and hooked it back up. The clamps held, but the hose popped. So, my local Autozone has some cut to length power steering hose rated at 1000PSI. With this hose and a couple of really good clamps, do you guys think this will hold me over for a week or two till I can order the part?
Has anyone done this or something similar that works? With the cheap hose I flared the metal hose, and had the rubber hose go about 6 inches beyond the flare, then put two hose clamps on either side. Like I said, it seemed to hold, just the hose gave out. Any suggestions, I really need my wheels back?

Deaf and blind and dumb and born to follow
what you need is someone strong to guide you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-23-2005, 08:42 AM Thread Starter

Quick edit: After looking at some pictures online, the hose I am talking about is attached to the rack and pinion only. I attaches at the top where the steering shaft bolts on and then runs along the rack to the passenger side. Hope that helps. So, I have only been able to find this part at the dealership unless I want to buy a new rack and pinion from Autozone, which I don't.

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-23-2005, 09:31 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

That line is the 'left transfer line'. Hose clamps will not hold on there. The line must be replaced.
So your options are to try and find a replacement line or change the rack.

With 1200-1300psi in the line, hose doesn't have a prayer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-23-2005, 09:42 AM Thread Starter

Thats what I figured. I haven't really had much luck finding the hose by itself. Autozone doesn't even know what it is. Guess I'll look for a used rack, or pay ford $50 for that stupid hose.
On a side note. Would it do any damage to plug that line and drive it like it has manual steering until I can get a new line?

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-23-2005, 09:53 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbylx
Would it do any damage to plug that line and drive it like it has manual steering until I can get a new line?
i'm afraid it wouldn't do that. It would want to turn all the time and it is possible that you couldn't
stop it from turning. So plugging is not an option.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-23-2005, 12:48 PM Thread Starter

So, called the local Ford house again. The parts guy had no clue what I was talking about so I asked him to get a mechanic. Well, we finally tracked down that stupid little hose. In case anyone else needs one it is listed as:

Right Hand Turn Tube
Part # 3A717
$5.57

It will be here in 2 days.

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-23-2005, 12:51 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Yeah!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in