rear end links. - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-24-2005, 05:52 PM Thread Starter

rear end links.

How hard is to change the rear sway bar end links. can i just change the bushings that go from the link to the sway bar? what tools of what sized will i need to do the job? thanks for the help guys. Jess
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-24-2005, 06:38 PM

Well since you live in oklahoma theres probably not much rust on your bird but theres a nut on the buttom that has to be taken off. Yes you can replace those bushings but i'm not sure if you can just buy them with out buying a whole new endlink. Also you have to remove the upper part of the link thats on the sway bar.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-24-2005, 07:07 PM
4th Gear Poster

On mine, it was the bushings in the upper end that were rotten and causing a bit of a rattle. I bought the poly kit from MN12 Performance to replace mine, and while the bar bushings are a tight fit, and they they to be greased periodically (I put grooves and grease fittings in mine, and hit them with a shot of grease at every oil change), it's a nice, fairly inexpensive upgrade.

97 LX, 4.6, Dynomax catback, Mustang MAF/intake tube and Aviator throttle body, Xcalibrator2 by Lonnie at BOC, 180 t-stat, Super Coupe wheels with 235/60/16's, Kenny Brown strut tower brace, Tokico Blues, Eibach Pro-kit, some strategically placed MN12 Performance polyurethane pieces, '02 Grand Marquis transmission

Submariners do it deeper...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-24-2005, 08:54 PM Thread Starter

what kind of tools will in need? i dont have alot of tools and i hate getting half way into a job and having to go buy something so what size of wrenchs and sockets adn such will i need? Thanks agian guys. and ohh yeah there is a fair amount of rust the car is an ex- texas highway patrol car. thats waht attracted me to is the motor and tranny are great but the suspension is shot. but agian thanks for the help guys. Jess
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-24-2005, 10:31 PM
4th Gear Poster

Basic metric hand tools (sockets/wrenches, I think 13 and 15 mm were all I needed), possibly a c-clamp and a third hand to hold the sway bar bushing brackets against the subframe (if you replace them).

Don't crush the lower end link bushings too much. The upper bushings use a metal sleeve to prevent it.

It's a little easier with the rear wheels off. May as well see what else needs work, too.

And a lot of PB Blaster to free the rusted parts.

97 LX, 4.6, Dynomax catback, Mustang MAF/intake tube and Aviator throttle body, Xcalibrator2 by Lonnie at BOC, 180 t-stat, Super Coupe wheels with 235/60/16's, Kenny Brown strut tower brace, Tokico Blues, Eibach Pro-kit, some strategically placed MN12 Performance polyurethane pieces, '02 Grand Marquis transmission

Submariners do it deeper...
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-24-2005, 11:31 PM Thread Starter

thanks guys. its gonna cost me like 60 bucks for parts plus what ever for tools but you guys still rock. oyur the only forums that i know of that will tell you the size of tools you need. Thanks agian, Jess

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in