Steerin Rack - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-01-2005, 06:31 PM Thread Starter

Steerin Rack

Well had the car looked at today, and turns out its my steering thats makin all the noise, as well as the wheel, bearings. Guy said it would cost about 1500 for them to do it. What does it take to change this? I can prob get a used unit easily, just dont know whats involved in doin this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-01-2005, 08:29 PM
4th Gear Poster

Well I just got a rack for 120.00 plus 100.00 for the core charge. Swapping the rack out isnt too hard of a job to do. The hard part is getting to the two lines on top of the rack!!! Its a pita!!! Also when pulling your steering shaft off mark it cause if you dont your steering wheel will be way off center.>>
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-01-2005, 09:05 PM Thread Starter

Thanks, 120 (prob about 200 here) isnt too bad, less than the ball joints like I thjought it was. Ill check the parts stores and wreckers and see what I can come up with and get it all done. May take till next week though. I know this sounds like a stupid question, but is this anything I shoul worry about I drive the car everyday to work and am prob headin out on the highway this weekend.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-01-2005, 10:15 PM
5th Gear Poster

Send a message via Yahoo to T-bird_fan
Are all n12 racks the same or is there some with quicker ratio?

J-Mod, MMC D/S, 24k gvw Tranny Cooler, Mark VIII TC,13” KVR Frt brakes, FRPP 3.73 rear, PI cams & Intake plus P&P NPI heads with the cooling mod, 1 3/8" Rr swaybar.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-02-2005, 06:54 PM Thread Starter

Heres a total noob question. What exactly causes the rack to make the clunking noise, Im just curious I thought that maybe there was a bad seal and the fluid was leakin causing it to run dry, but the fluid is still right where it should be.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-02-2005, 08:07 PM
4th Gear Poster

If the rack is leaking you will be able to see it easily. Mine started to leak, the right seal went south, and it left a quarter size drop of fluid on the ground. So if the level is staying where it should that should be fine. The clunking noise could be ball joints, and strut rod bushings. Check those first. To check the balljoints, lift one tire of the ground and grab it at 9 and 3 o'clock positions. Shake it side to side. If there is play its the lower balljoint. Do the same but at 12 and 6 0'clock positions and move it in and out. Once again if there is play your upper balljoints are bad. Lastly, will the wheels on the ground and the emergency brake on, see if you can push the wheel in a foward motion, if so you need strut rod bushings. Hope this is of some help...
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-02-2005, 08:46 PM Thread Starter

Ball joints are fine I checked those myself again, all the shop said was teh rack and wheel bearings.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-03-2005, 06:49 PM Thread Starter

OK seems the guy at the shop is a complete jackass. Took the tires off to get a good look at the rack, and I couldnt see any leaks, so started pushin and pulling everything to figure out what is goin on, the problem is just the tension strut bar bushing is shot on one side.

Last edited by Blue LS; 06-04-2005 at 12:42 PM.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-04-2005, 03:16 PM Thread Starter

Changed the bushings (holy **** 60 bucks!!!) and even without driving it you can see the front end is tighter. What was left of the old bushings was about the thickness of a quarter.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-20-2005, 11:00 AM
6th Gear Poster

OK, here's a question that I should know the answer to, but I don't, so can y'all help me out?

When you replace the rack, first off, what's the best replacement to get. I have a Ford reman in there right now and after 2 years, the seals leak.

Second, does the rack come with inner tie rod ends and I just need to buy outer tie rod ends, or do I have to buy them all?

Does the rack come with new bushings? If not, what are the best to get?

Thanks!

Glen "RustyUL" Weldon

94 Thunderbird SC - 5 Speed -- Picture Here
1 of 722 1994 SC 5-speeds made.
Soilid Engine Mounts, B&M Ripper Shifter, Tokico Shocks
95 Thunderbird LX - 4.6
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-01-2005, 04:29 PM
4th Gear Poster

Your rack will come with everything except outer tie rod ends. As for what kind I picked up a Cardone rack and have had no problems with it. You could go with a new ford unit but in my opinion its no better. Also flush the system when you put your new one in. It will save you a lot of trouble later.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-01-2005, 04:37 PM Thread Starter

You may not have to replace the rack, try some of the additives for PS leaks, I know most people say to stay away from mechanics in a can, but the stuff worked wonders on my dads coworkers car, two years after putting it in the seals are still holding up perfectly.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-06-2005, 07:35 AM
6th Gear Poster

I have a parts car that I was going to remove and rebuild the rack to put on my SC. After looking around, it appears that a 24mm Deep socket is required to hold the head of the bolt while you turn the nut. Can someone verify this for me?

Glen "RustyUL" Weldon

94 Thunderbird SC - 5 Speed -- Picture Here
1 of 722 1994 SC 5-speeds made.
Soilid Engine Mounts, B&M Ripper Shifter, Tokico Shocks
95 Thunderbird LX - 4.6
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-15-2005, 04:04 AM
1st Gear Poster

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue LS
Changed the bushings (holy **** 60 bucks!!!) and even without driving it you can see the front end is tighter. What was left of the old bushings was about the thickness of a quarter.

What bushings? What is the tension strut bar bushing? My front end is loose and I hope that may be the/part of the fix.

Thanks!!!!!

Jim

1996 T-bird Sport:
MSD Ignition coil packs, Crane Cams 8.5mm FireWire, B&M tranny cooler w/ Mercon V, Mark 8 TC, '99 LMAF
K&N Cone filter & Bosch Platinum plugs

2002 Camaro SS:
TSP clear lid, K&N Panel filter, Z06 85mm MAF, SLP smooth bellows & Borla cat-back

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in