rattle problem in front end when going over bumps mainly - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-14-2005, 08:19 AM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

rattle problem in front end when going over bumps mainly

when going over bumps and turns I hear this anonying rattle sound.

anyone know what it might be? problem a milion things but I'd like to rule out breaks. there were recently serviced.

I have a 1994 and a 1996 sport that does this. The 94 i'm not gonna put alot of $$ into. but the 96 i want to fix.

TIA!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-14-2005, 08:33 AM

I had a rattle when the car went from side to side, and it turned out to be Sway bar end links...(after the shop tried to get me to buy strut bushings). All i did was take them out to see if that was it, and no more rattle....still haven't put new ones in yet through...there like 33 bucks at the dealer....
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-14-2005, 09:59 AM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxCoUg
I had a rattle when the car went from side to side, and it turned out to be Sway bar end links...(after the shop tried to get me to buy strut bushings). All i did was take them out to see if that was it, and no more rattle....still haven't put new ones in yet through...there like 33 bucks at the dealer....
i think my swaybar is fine but I could be wrong too! It seems like it happens when I go straight forward over bumps too. Not just side to side movement.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-14-2005, 10:03 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to 94 Daily Driven 4.6L
Did it start after the brake job? If so, they probably left out the anti-rattle clips. My 94 did that and it drove me up the wall. Everything worked fine, but it would sound like something was going to fall off the front end.

Good luck!

97 Lincoln Mark VIII LSC (Chip'd, 3.73 T/L... so far... )
97 Ford Aspire (Slow, but getting 36 mpg (f'n Ethenol!! )
84 F250 Dually w/6.9L Diesel (7.3L IDI pending)
73 Mercury Cougar Convertible w/351C 4V (Partially Restored)
69 F100 LWB w/460 Engine
76 Glastron Carlson 23' Jet Boat w/460 CJ Engine
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-14-2005, 10:25 AM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94 Daily Driven 4.6L
Did it start after the brake job? If so, they probably left out the anti-rattle clips. My 94 did that and it drove me up the wall. Everything worked fine, but it would sound like something was going to fall off the front end.

Good luck!
dunno just bought this car about 48 hours ago. defintely will have that checked.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-24-2005, 10:04 PM
Veteran Poster

its missing the anti rattle clips in the brakes. notice it wont rattle over bumps with the brakes on. its the most annoying sound to ever come from my car.

94 V8 on 17" custom paint, R.I.P
97 Mark VIII LSC yeah
08 Ford Edge, white for now
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-25-2005, 09:29 AM

It could be the brakes,

I have also had the end links go on mine oh about 3 times..
They look ok when they are on. but if you take them off they usually are really really loose..

Mine happened mostly over tracks and bumps
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-27-2005, 10:15 AM
PostWhore

If the rattle is a fast "dunk-a-dunk-a-dunk" sound that occurs over stretches of irregular pavement, it's probably your sway bar end links. Like jbird6r said, they can look fine, but be really weak. To replace them, you will probably need a special ball joint separator - it has 2 arms with a bolt that forces them apart. You will probably not be able to do the job with a pickle fork-type or press-type separator due to clearance issues. I bought my separator from Napa for about $20.

-------------------

Steve

Owner, 1990 Thunderbird SC, white w/ gray cloth
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-27-2005, 01:35 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_Mazza
If the rattle is a fast "dunk-a-dunk-a-dunk" sound that occurs over stretches of irregular pavement, it's probably your sway bar end links. Like jbird6r said, they can look fine, but be really weak. To replace them, you will probably need a special ball joint separator - it has 2 arms with a bolt that forces them apart. You will probably not be able to do the job with a pickle fork-type or press-type separator due to clearance issues. I bought my separator from Napa for about $20.
thats exactly what it is. do you know how much it'd cost me to have a shop do it? I'm not too mechanically inclined *yet*. Is it a hard job or just requires specialty tools?

Let me know about how much I should pay if I have it done in a shop.

Thx for the help.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-08-2005, 05:38 PM
PostWhore

Hey, sorry it took so long for a reply. I think an endlink replacement should cost about $220 at a shop. If you do it yourself, it will probably cost $75 in parts, plus money for the tool, if you go that route. It's not a hard job with the right tools. Without them, I would say it's impossible. You can probably do it with a set of box wrenches and the ball joint separator tool. If you don't have box wrenches, you could probably use a ratchet set like the GearRatchet that I have (the head has a hole that lets it fit over bolts - very handy).

-------------------

Steve

Owner, 1990 Thunderbird SC, white w/ gray cloth

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in