Is this normal for T-Birds? - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-16-2005, 12:53 PM Thread Starter

Question Is this normal for T-Birds?

Hi, just replaced upper and lower control arms w/ ball joints, new disc and pads, new front struts, new rear shocks, new endlinks and wheel alignment on my 95 bird and still shakes and tremble like craps when going over small railroad tracks, washboard or uneven roads. It sort of like the whole front suspension to the steering wheel are ready to fall apart. I just want to know is this normal for all T-Birds or is it just mine only? Is there something else I've overlooked? Thanks in advance for any inputs.

Kenny
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-16-2005, 12:58 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to 94 Daily Driven 4.6L
Tie rod ends, steering shaft coupling, rack/pinion bushings are just the ones I can think of off the top of my head.

I would put it on a lift and try to move the wheel up/down, left/right, and in/out. Then while watching the wheel, turn the steering wheel and see if something moves and what is attached to it does not move.

p.s. MN12's have shocks on all four corners, not struts on the front.

97 Lincoln Mark VIII LSC (Chip'd, 3.73 T/L... so far... )
97 Ford Aspire (Slow, but getting 36 mpg (f'n Ethenol!! )
84 F250 Dually w/6.9L Diesel (7.3L IDI pending)
73 Mercury Cougar Convertible w/351C 4V (Partially Restored)
69 F100 LWB w/460 Engine
76 Glastron Carlson 23' Jet Boat w/460 CJ Engine
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-16-2005, 09:09 PM Thread Starter

94 DD, what do you call mine then? I am absolutely sure a pair of Gabriel Ultra struts was put in my fronts. Almost lost a finger from the strut compressor when one of it hook slip off the strut spring. Thanks for the other parts which I will check tomorrow.

Kenny
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-16-2005, 09:36 PM
The Parts Guy

Kenny,

Even though a lot of manufacturers consider/call them struts, they are actually coilover shocks on the front of our cars.

-Rod

Rod @ AzzKicker Cars
[email protected]
90 XR7-The Meth Addict-KB SC'd 5.0L DOHC Stroker
2004 Mustang GT-The Driver-Intake/Exhaust/3.73's
1995 F150 4x4-The Mud Toy-5.0L/4R70W/33's/Warn 8274 Winch
94 LX w/Splitport 3.8L from 2000 Mustang - SOLD
2 - 90 35th Anny Ed SC's
And a TON of parts cars!
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-17-2005, 07:48 AM Thread Starter

I gotcha racecougar. For a minute there I've thought my car suspension was the only one with struts. Anyway, car going to the lift today for a free 21 point suspension checkup at Goodyear. Thanks again.

Kenny
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-17-2005, 07:56 AM

My car makes the same noises. I've replaced upper and lower control arms, all bushings, calipers and sway bar end links without solving the problem. My only guess left is tie rod ends or the steering rack itself.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-17-2005, 08:09 AM Thread Starter

Mercutio, I'll let you know when I come back from Goodyear and share the infos with everybody. Those are exact parts I replaced plus the coilover shocks also. Spent way too much money already and still sound like a jalopy going over slightly rough road. Stay tune.

Kenny
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-17-2005, 07:08 PM

You replaced the radius arm bushings? Mine were wallowed real good but the only way to find it was to watch 'em while hitting the brakes.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-17-2005, 07:45 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via Yahoo to dirtyd0g
Don't forget about the wheel bearings.
Alan
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-18-2005, 12:30 AM
2nd Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercutio
My car makes the same noises. I've replaced upper and lower control arms, all bushings, calipers and sway bar end links without solving the problem. My only guess left is tie rod ends or the steering rack itself.
By "noises" you mean that distinctive "crunch-CRunch-CRUNCH" the front end makes when you roll over speed bumps or dips in the road? I'm getting new ball-joints and control-arms Monday, so we'll see what happens!
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-18-2005, 06:38 AM Thread Starter

Hi all, got back from Goodyear and they said in order to tighten the suspension loose problem was the rack and pinion unit (975.00 ) and at least change 2 front wheel bearings (439.99 each). He said this will put the car back in original shape but will not and cannot guaranteed the "falling apart feeling" though because these cars are well known for these type of problems.
Total of 2008.00 and a free alignment. I did not do it, he look kind of upset because the rest of the suspension was not done by them.
Hohokham, the noise sounds like crunches and bangs. Just like the front end is ready to fall apart and you can feel it through the steering wheel. I cross the railroad track everyday and the track is about a 3" rise and road and track repair was done a month ago and is in very good shape. I crossed it with my 93 GMC van and wife 96 Eldorado with hardly any noise or rough feelings at all.
dirtydOg, wheel bearings is my next project and icantdrive55, are you talking about the bushings that goes into the control arms? Because I've replaced all w/ new arms w/ ball joint and bushings in it. Will check with Advance today to get wheel bearings and see if it'll helps. I remember a remanf. r&p unit was less at 100.00 at Autozone. Thanks to everyone for chiming in will report new results soon, hopefully.

Kenny
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-19-2005, 06:20 PM
Amateur Expert

Send a message via AIM to Embalmer
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxshepard
Hi all, got back from Goodyear and they said in order to tighten the suspension loose problem was the rack and pinion unit (975.00 ) and at least change 2 front wheel bearings (439.99 each). He said this will put the car back in original shape but will not and cannot guaranteed the "falling apart feeling" though because these cars are well known for these type of problems.
Total of 2008.00 and a free alignment. I did not do it, he look kind of upset because the rest of the suspension was not done by them.
Hohokham, the noise sounds like crunches and bangs. Just like the front end is ready to fall apart and you can feel it through the steering wheel. I cross the railroad track everyday and the track is about a 3" rise and road and track repair was done a month ago and is in very good shape. I crossed it with my 93 GMC van and wife 96 Eldorado with hardly any noise or rough feelings at all.
dirtydOg, wheel bearings is my next project and icantdrive55, are you talking about the bushings that goes into the control arms? Because I've replaced all w/ new arms w/ ball joint and bushings in it. Will check with Advance today to get wheel bearings and see if it'll helps. I remember a remanf. r&p unit was less at 100.00 at Autozone. Thanks to everyone for chiming in will report new results soon, hopefully.

Kenny
I know you were just taking the car to Goodyear for an estimate, but run fast and far away from that shop! Front wheel bearings are well under a hundred dollars each and replacing them is a snap. ($440!!!)

The steering rack itself might be bad, but it could be the strut rod bushings or the K-member subframe to chassis bushings. Also - tie rodsmight be worn and they give a loose feeling in the wheel and make clattering noises when gone bad.

2007 Ford Mustang GT Premium - SOLD March 2014.
2013 Ford Taurus SHO (TUXESHO) Tuxedo Black Bone stock for now.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-20-2005, 01:23 PM
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxshepard
...icantdrive55, are you talking about the bushings that goes into the control arms?...
Kenny
I'm not sure what a radius arm is either. Anyone?

thanks,
Rob

02 AL PI 4.6L, 02 GT MAF and air box, SCT tune by lonnie.
2.25" true duals, no cats, Borla XS mufflers.
96 trans with 300HP + gear change J-mod, Mark VIII TC, & Hayden 30K GVW cooler.
Solid Rubber engine and tranny mounts. Polly front-end, tranny crossmember, and IRS bushings.
3.73 TL, 93 Mark VIII DS. Tokico Blues all around.
PBR dual piston calipers in front, Rear Disc Brake Swap.
97 console. Cooper 225/60/16s.
14.874 @ 93.56 with 3.27 before 3.73 upgrade
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-20-2005, 03:48 PM

I'm guessing he means strut rods.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in