3 nasty pops - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-15-2005, 11:12 PM Thread Starter

3 nasty pops

Okay guys I went to pick up my sis at her job and when I got back in the car I put it in reverse and turned the wheel to the right and I heard 3 loud pops then when I soppped to see what it was the sound came from the front right tire. Now when i turn my steering wheel it no longer returns back like it used to. when I went driving home the tire started squeling when I turned but I wasn't even going fast what do I do it is the car that I use to go everywhere thanks in advance by the way I have a 97 v8 if that helps a bit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-16-2005, 12:26 AM
Amateur Expert

Send a message via AIM to Embalmer
I would suggest jacking the front of the car up and turning the wheel. You will be able to hear or see what the problem is. Also, grab the different suspension components (especially the tierods) and try to move them. There usually isn't any play in these parts. Grab the top and bottom of the wheel when it is in the air and try to rock it in and out. If there is play, then the wheel bearings are shot. I would be leaning toward tierods or control arms.

2007 Ford Mustang GT Premium - SOLD March 2014.
2013 Ford Taurus SHO (TUXESHO) Tuxedo Black Bone stock for now.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-16-2005, 04:21 AM
Resident redneck

Send a message via AIM to redneckcougarguy Send a message via MSN to redneckcougarguy
actually the SAI (steering axis inclination) is what causes the wheels to straighten after a turn. the imaginary line that runst down the shock is not actually verticall. it tilts back slightly at the top. so when you turn the wheels it puts force down on the inner wheel causing it to straghten out.
something would have to be seriously wrong ( and should be easily spoted during an alignment to cause this.

btw my thanks for this information goes out to 5speedXR7 over on cougarnuts.com

-Steven

Project Rust Prevention: 1990 Buick Regal, Toilet Capacity engine, new trim paint, 57K miles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-16-2005, 10:21 AM Thread Starter

thanks you guys I did an alignment a couple of months ago and since this happened I cant put the wheel straight becuase it will start to turn
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-16-2005, 01:28 PM

Have a company car that does the same thing, cornering at 10 makes the drivers side squeal, its a 2000 Cav, its something to do with an alignment issue/damaged suspension part, if it goes in for service on Monday like its supposed to Ill try to find out what the problem is and let ya know if I can.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-16-2005, 04:35 PM Thread Starter

thanks I think I can wait for your asnwer any more opinions Ill probably take it to the shop on monday or tueday anyways
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-19-2005, 04:34 PM Thread Starter

Okay guys I hope you can help I went and they told me that the engine mounts were messed up also that I needed a steering knuckle and one more thing they said I needed a strut but I read our cars have shocks what. I want to get performance parts so it will handle better can you lead me in the right way. what about the springs and shocks what are the best I want to lower the car also thanks for the input
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-19-2005, 05:32 PM
Amateur Expert

Send a message via AIM to Embalmer
Quote:
Originally Posted by veyito_169
Okay guys I hope you can help I went and they told me that the engine mounts were messed up also that I needed a steering knuckle and one more thing they said I needed a strut but I read our cars have shocks what. I want to get performance parts so it will handle better can you lead me in the right way. what about the springs and shocks what are the best I want to lower the car also thanks for the input
If the steering "knuckle" really means the rag joint in between the shaft and the rack, then you might be out of luck. When I got mine last winter, supposedly the inventory left out there was next to nothing. I still have my old one, which was in good shape if you can't find one. If that is that part that's bad - DO NOT PUT OFF FIXING IT!! You could lose steering of the car! I just installed the new poly motor mounts from MN12 Performance.com. They have been great so far - they allow a little more vibration into the car, but I don't mind. I also have my old mounts (in good shape) if you need them.

As far as the suspension goes, I have the Vogtland 1" drop springs all around with Bilstein shocks (no longer available) on the rear and new sport shocks on the front. The sport shocks with a stiffer spring is what you're probably looking for. It's a great compromise between ride and handling. I think the sport shocks are like $70 each from Dan Newman and if you replace one side, do them both.

2007 Ford Mustang GT Premium - SOLD March 2014.
2013 Ford Taurus SHO (TUXESHO) Tuxedo Black Bone stock for now.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in