Swaybar grease - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-27-2005, 04:42 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

Swaybar grease

Got a question. Where do you grease the swaybar bushings? Between the bushing and the bar or between the bushing and the retaining cap?
I'm thinking at the cap. I have new Addco bars with black bushings. These are rubber arn't they? They sent small amount of red grease, but no directions. I have read about the greaseable caps, but , shouldn't it get lube between the bushing and the bar also?
Mark said CRC makes a graphite grease, Have not seen any. Where can it be bought. I have seen sprayable graphite lube, this isn't what he is talking about is it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-27-2005, 06:03 PM
The Parts Guy

The grease goes between the bushing and the bar. There is no need for any grease between the bushing and the cap. The bushings that come with ADDCO bars should all be polyurethane bushings.

-Rod

Rod @ AzzKicker Cars
[email protected]
90 XR7-The Meth Addict-KB SC'd 5.0L DOHC Stroker
2004 Mustang GT-The Driver-Intake/Exhaust/3.73's
1995 F150 4x4-The Mud Toy-5.0L/4R70W/33's/Warn 8274 Winch
94 LX w/Splitport 3.8L from 2000 Mustang - SOLD
2 - 90 35th Anny Ed SC's
And a TON of parts cars!
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-27-2005, 06:10 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

OK, thanks. I was wondering about that cause I read about the greaseable caps.
How about that graphite lube anyone?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-27-2005, 07:01 PM
Eleventeenth Gear Poster

I couldn't find any type of graphite grease anywhere. I asked Rich from MN12Performance and he said the grease in the little packets he sends with bushing kits is dielectric grease.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-27-2005, 09:25 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

I was at Auto Zone and saw that they sell grease for this from Performance suspension. It is white like dielectric grease.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-27-2005, 09:30 PM
4th Gear Poster

I have Prothane poly bushings in my Fiero. While it looks like dielectric (spark plug boot) grease, the stuff Prothane sends is a really sticky, thick, nasty grease, that is near impossible to get off of your hands, or anything else it touches.

Since even that stuff wears away eventually, I drilled a hole all the way through the sway bar bushings, to the bar itself, and threaded a grease fitting into the metal strap that holds it in place. I then cut a circumferential groove throughout the bushing, to help distribute the grease. I hit it with the grease gun (I have Slick 50 grease in mine) at every oil change, or more often if it gets noisy. Works for me.

Since I installed poly bushings everywhere in it, I did that on my Fiero, on the control arm bushings as well as the sway bar bushings. It really made a huge difference in reducing the amount of spring stiffness.

97 LX, 4.6, Dynomax catback, Mustang MAF/intake tube and Aviator throttle body, Xcalibrator2 by Lonnie at BOC, 180 t-stat, Super Coupe wheels with 235/60/16's, Kenny Brown strut tower brace, Tokico Blues, Eibach Pro-kit, some strategically placed MN12 Performance polyurethane pieces, '02 Grand Marquis transmission

Submariners do it deeper...
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-27-2005, 09:36 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

Thank you very much!!! I was thinking about doing that, but wondered if I would. I have some 90 degree grease fittings to install on the caps. I'll get on that tomorrow.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in