power steering hose woes - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-28-2005, 08:06 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

power steering hose woes

I have dertermined that Ford considers a '93 tbird a disposable car. Yes, I'm upset My power steering hose is obsolete.

There is a 90* adapter which screws into the rack. The actual parts store aquired power steering pressure hose screws into this adapter.

I have a reman rack, new hose and can't put my car back together until I find one of those little adapters, since that is where the leak is.

The part I'm calling an adapter has smaller threads where it fits in the rack, a metal line with a bend then has a larger fitting where the pressure hose goes in. There is another similar adapter on the return line. These will swivel and have to be installed before the rack is installed. They facilitate later installation of hoses without completely removing the rack.

Do the later model tbirds have the same adapter? Where in the heck can I get one? I don't want to buy a $100 hose just for the adapter and throw away the rest.

If I strike out I will have to find a cheap hose at the parts store with the correct fitting and cut the end off to braze to the other fitting. That sucks!

I'm considering going to a stainless braided hose with aircraft fittings. Problem there is finding the correct Ford fittings for the pump and rack.

HELP!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-29-2005, 07:42 AM Thread Starter
PostWhore

BUMP! Bump! TO THE TOP!

I have a lift tied up at work, so if I don't get an answer soon I'll be forced to buy another hose to cut and weld.

When the motor comes out I will probably redo the ps lines using steel -an fittings, no matter how I fix it now. Wish I knew the part#'s of the required fittings or even what size the Ford ps fitting are.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-29-2005, 08:43 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

90 deg. Pain in the @#$

Hello

I have acouple of these. Every time I gi the the wrecking yard I grab one. I have two different ones.
Do you still have the old one? Do you have a picture?
I had to get my first one from the dealer. I might still have the part number.

Paul [email protected]

Paul [email protected]
1990 Thunderbird Circle Track Street Stock
351W 2bbl.
C-4 Auto
3.90 open rear
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-29-2005, 06:29 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

I was talking to the the kid at Joe Cooper Ford last night since my regular parts place was closed.

This morning I called the other Ford parts distributer and found the right parts. Anyone in the OKC area should use Bob Howard PDC since they always go the extra mile finding obscure parts.
They call the low side adapter a 'tube' and the high pressure adapter a 'tube assembly'....lol. Only cost $86.00 for both

Anyone have a picture of a tbird with the factory ps cooler so I can see how the hoses are routed and where the cooler is located? I'm going to mount a big cooler on there so the hoses won't ever get hot and rot away.

Oh yeah thanks for the reply I was really stressing this morning thinking how I would waste 30 bucks buying a hose for a mustang or something normal and cheap then welding a new end on my tube.

Last edited by icantdrive55; 12-29-2005 at 10:49 PM.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-31-2005, 09:33 AM Thread Starter
PostWhore

I finally finished. Ended up installing a 12,500 gvw plate style transmission cooler and the fluid only warmed to 120* after idling an hour. My car only had a small loop on the k-member for cooling before. These cars sure do heat the power steering fluid!

I'm not sure if the evo is leaking or not. There was a small drip on it but that might've been where fluid spilled when it foamed up. Is there a way to put new seals in the e.v.o. or would I have to buy a new one?
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-02-2006, 11:13 AM
4th Gear Poster

O-Rings

Quote:
Originally Posted by icantdrive55

I'm not sure if the evo is leaking or not. There was a small drip on it but that might've been where fluid spilled when it foamed up. Is there a way to put new seals in the e.v.o. or would I have to buy a new one?
Clean everything under the pressure hose and EVO very well and drive it for a while... it usually seeps just a little and you will be able to feel fluid under the EVO where it enters the PS pump or at the swivel joint. Left unresolved, it can become a problem in a hurry.

You'll probably have to purchase a new EVO. The o-ring kit is no longer available from Ford. I tried to find a kit about a year ago... no luck. Was able to pick up a new EVO through the dealer - about $130.00. I needed a replacement right away; I use it as a daily driver.

If you're not running the car every day, you can find o-rings to fit. As I remember, there are a total of four inside the unit - 2 for the swivel seal and 2 for the seal to the pump. Just make sure that they aren't garden variety rubber faucet washer o-rings... the PS fluid will dispose of them in short order. More info on o-ring materials can be found here:

http://http://www.mcmaster.com/ctlg/DisplCtlgPage.asp?ReqTyp=CATALOG&CtlgPgNbr=3227&CtlgEdition=&sesnextrep=600237861484949&ScreenWidth=1600&McMMainWidth=1127

By searching through McMaster's on-line catalog, you'll get a better idea about o-ring sizes, materials, etc.

I kept the old unit to for a spare to put in new o-rings, but never got around to it. Can't even locate it right now (pronounced "senior moment"). Lotsa luck finding a new Ford replacement EVO. The part was getting scarce when I bought mine - it had to come from another dealer's stock rather than a regional parts warehouse.

BTW... went through the same ordeal on the rack replacement - been there, done that, and cussed like a sailor... for days!

That is all...

Experience is simply knowing what not to do... and knowing what won't work.
The Car... 324,201 and still goin' strong; Me... I'm NOT a complete idiot - still missing a few parts.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-03-2006, 06:02 AM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Thanks, the evo is barely seeping. I just went and found a used one for 5 bucks. I'm too cheap to buy a new evo. I might even get a new hose and plastic resevoir made for no evo before buying a new one.

Being a mechanic for 20 years I know my o-rings! The two inner ones would be common to all power steering pumps. They are not the ones that leak though. Hopefully the other two will be in my pile of leftover transmission o-rings.

I figured I could take the evo from the junkyard apart so the car would still be drivable. This car is my daily driver except in bad weather. My Chevy truck will last forever since the 'bird is so much fun to drive!

My rack wasn't even leaking but those lines couldn't be reached without unbolting it. Since there was a loose inner tie rod why not just replace the whole thing?

The bad part is the only real leak was probably the evo and just touching the crispy, hardened hoses made them leak. I literally snapped the return line in two taking it off! The 12,500 gvw cooler will fix that problem. The fluid still warmed up to 120*.

Yes, this power steering leak made me very angry. Lots of work and I hated and cussed my beloved car for a day or two. Getting back in the driver seat and mashing the pedal made it all better
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-03-2006, 04:51 PM
4th Gear Poster

Glad you got it going again. The hose attachments at the rack on a 5.oh are a real PITA!

Just heat in general does things in down here. I've made it a habit to pop the hood when I get home in the summer and let all that built up heat out from the 50 mile drive home from work. Some days it will almost knock you over. I also brush down all the rubber under the hood twice a year with silicone to keep it from getting brittle and dry rotted.

My hoses never failed... the inner tie rods in the rack went at about the same time the pump started making noise. Replaced everything BUT the EVO. [email protected]#n thing started seeping at the swivel joint shortly thereafter. Didn't worry about it until I turned in the driveway one night shortly thereafter - blew an the o-ring completely out of it. Quite a mess. The original setup got me 11 years and 250k of daily drivin'; I hope I'm as fortunate this time around.

That is all...

Experience is simply knowing what not to do... and knowing what won't work.
The Car... 324,201 and still goin' strong; Me... I'm NOT a complete idiot - still missing a few parts.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-03-2006, 05:55 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

if youget the right reman pump they come with attached evo's i know your pain i went through this when i orginally put my car together, i had rigged a p/s cooler together because i couldnt findthe oe line setup, i wasnt able to source these till i parted out a car i got lucky though the pressure and return ines were still available when i did mine, i also had to replace those 2 stupid 90 fittings, what a crap design

64 ford galaxie -FE powered beast!- sleeping giant
69 cougar standard- 347/c6 -efi restomod, heidts prog 4 link heavily modified front, custom strutrods boxed lowers rollerperches 620 lowering springs! meier shock tower brace
96 f150 supercab lifted beast! 351 powered beast
87 shasta roadmaster 29ft travel trailer- pimpdaddy camping!
mn12 less!
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-04-2006, 06:25 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Without those 90* fittings just changing the hoses would require removal of the rack. Then when the hoses go bad the o-rings in the fittings go bad at the same time. Seems like whatever you touch will leak at the next spot. Just like when my discontinued, obsolete a/c line went bad. I replaced every part except the condenser and evaporater before it was done.

I bought a pump for the non-variable steering at first then sent it back. The one for variable steering had to be ordered and I think it came with the new evo. My pump was fine and I found the o-rings for the evo in my pile. I used a green large lockup o-ring from a 4l60-e GM and an orange o-ring from...um...maybe an a-604 dodge speedometer or something.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 02:05 PM

Hi, new to the forum. Need to replace the high pressure hose on my 93 TBird LX. How do I get access to the lower end of the hose, drop the rack? Anyone who has done this have the steps?
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 03:17 PM
No, Mr. Lemmywinks, No!!!

Garage
I used crow's foot wrenches, on extensions.

You have to hold the 90 at the pump, or you'll twist it, causing it to leak.

RockAuto sells the pressure hose; and the 90 degree fitting, if you break it.

Unbolting the rack at the mounts gives you access to the bottom of the 90 fitting, but not really where the hose attaches.

This is one of the toughest jobs on these cars; I'd seriously evaluate whether or not you think the rack needs replacing as well, as you don't wont to do this again in 6 months.

I'd replace the rubber mounts for the rack, if you have to take them loose.

Tiny hands help, and short wrenches might help; doing it all with crows foot wrenches is kinda like changing the plugs on an engine after you stuffed it up someone's ass.

Some might disagree, but I doubt it.

I paid someone to do it on the second car; it was worth $300 to me not to fuck with it again.

Red '96 Cougar XR-7 240k mi. '02 4R70W, PST DS : '03 PI engine, 04 maf, 24lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, '02 4r70w + Jmod, DirtyD0g TC + cooler + 3/8" lines, 255 walbro fp. Alpine system.
Black '96 Cougar XR-7 (Lazarus) 210k mi PI Intake, '02 4R70W, Jmod, PST DS, GrogTune, Konis, Mark LCA+Poly, racecougar Custom Engine Chain, and JL and racecougar Bracing.
Black '97 Tbird Limited Edition, '02 4R70W, 255 walbro, PST DS, PBR Brakes&SS lines, Toicko Blues & Springs, GrogTune.

"War Is Peace. Freedom Is Slavery. Ignorance Is Strength." - George Orwell.
Truth Isn't Truth. - Rudy Giuliani, 2018 Award winner, “Most Outrageous Diversion” by MSNBC for this quote
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 07:45 PM
Kind of slapped together

It's a bit easier to do with the motor out, I've heard.

I will say that while the rack's out an ideal time to do the motor mounts on a 5.0HO, and I'd bet even more so for a 4.6 or a SC.

I did poly mounts when I did my rack.

My first replacement was a Cardone that sprung a leak inside of 1 year ... I just bit the bullet and paid the extra for a RackDoctor.NET rebuilt unit. So far it's got over 100,000 miles on it and still no leaks and until I killed the motor it worked perfectly ..

RwP

Fuelly

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in