Bad vibrations..... - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-18-2006, 01:43 PM Thread Starter

Exclamation Bad vibrations.....

I need some help on this problem I have with my 96' T-Bird 4.6L. Previously I had really bad vibrating when I applied the brakes and when I drove at speeds over 65mph. So, I had the rotors cut, an alignment done and I just added a brand new set of tires, 245/50/16. I still get a vibration!!!! It's driving me nuts! Can anyone suggest my next move on my car?? I appreciate any feed back. The vibrations is much less now and when I apply the brakes it's pulling a bit to the left.

F/X T-Bird.
Tampa.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-18-2006, 05:38 PM

did you properly break the rotors in not to over heat them ? also you might need wheel bearings..pulling to left might be that front brakes need to be bled...hope any of this helps jb
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-21-2006, 09:49 AM Thread Starter

I'm going to have the shop check the brakes again. They cut the rotors but it just doesn't feel right. I'm not that engine savvy... tell me about the bearings if you don't mind.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-22-2006, 09:29 PM
No, Mr. Lemmywinks, No!!!

Super Moderator

Garage
I always replace the rotors on these cars.

I have had rotors get 'warped' sitting in traffic (black car, pre-ceramic pads); I'm not sure how to explain that, but a really bad traffic jam caused what you are describing, and replacing rotors, pads, etc. put it back to new.

They had been replaced about a year previous, and that one day took them from good to crap. I had them turned first, at a friends shop, but it didn't help. he suggested replacement, as it is a known issue... at least to him. The other brake turns he has done for me have always worked.

If the wheel bearings are bad, you should be able to get it off the ground and check that; see if they have play, and see how smooth they turn.

EDIT: you asked about checking the bearings:

Get the front wheels off the ground, one at a time is fine, and grab the wheel, and see if there is any play; top/bottom, side/side... look at the spindle in the middle as you are doing this, and see if the gap around the nut changes. DON'T tighten the nut...Replace all if bad.

Spin the wheel, see it there are rough spots in the rotation; a bad bearing will have a 'gravelly' (as if it were full of loose gravels) feel as you turn it by hand. It may squeak as you turn it. Anything but smooth is bad.

A bad ball joint can also be felt this way, if you have enough a** to move it! (a 2x4 comes in handy for the ball joints... don't lever the car off the jackstands!)

I bought my red car for $2900 because the brakes were vibrating...

Red '96 Cougar XR-7 240k mi. '02 4R70W, PST DS : '03 PI engine, 04 maf, 24lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, '02 4r70w + Jmod, DirtyD0g TC + cooler + 3/8" lines, 255 walbro fp. Alpine system.
Black '96 Cougar XR-7 (Lazarus) 210k mi PI Intake, '02 4R70W, Jmod, PST DS, GrogTune, Konis, Mark LCA+Poly, racecougar Custom Engine Chain, and JL and racecougar Bracing.
Black '97 Tbird Limited Edition, '02 4R70W, 255 walbro, PST DS, PBR Brakes&SS lines, Toicko Blues & Springs, GrogTune.

"War Is Peace. Freedom Is Slavery. Ignorance Is Strength." - George Orwell.
Truth Isn't Truth. - Rudy Giuliani, 2018 Award winner, “Most Outrageous Diversion” by MSNBC for this quote

Last edited by Grog6; 09-22-2006 at 09:37 PM.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-23-2006, 07:54 AM
PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to TMcColl
Dont rule out an out of round tire also. I had vibe problems and after getting new tires they were still there. Turned out one of the new rear tires was out of round.

Did not discover this until I rotated them to the front and found the car almost un drivable.

Tony

Tony McColl
1994 LX 4.6L
New motor as of Aug 1st.
No Dyno Numbers yet.
Just two runs at 5800 ft.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2203515

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in