ERR this might be bad - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-22-2006, 05:55 AM Thread Starter

ERR this might be bad

Ok yall as some of you know im not riding on Air... i have spring struts.. well as long as i have had the car its had a slight squeak to it which some of you and people from TCCOA have attributed to thats springs they sqeak a bit..(( i hear almsot every little thing that might be outta place when the music isnt up that is)) ok so i get to RMWC about 300miles of driving... and the squeak is pronouce and is a deep creak... like when i turn the car off and push down on the Front fenders it has a ERRRRRKK sound to it... anybody got answers?????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-22-2006, 06:01 AM

Sounds like bushings going bad on it. Not sure which ones without putting it up on a hoist though.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-22-2006, 06:23 AM Thread Starter

think i can make it about 200miles back?????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-22-2006, 06:00 PM

While springs and bushings may squeak......A bad lower ball joint makes a deep creaking sound. Kinda like a big ol' heavy door opening.....If it's bad ball joints it could be a death trap......either yourself or the unfortunate soul driving near you when one gives out. Check it out...

Eric
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-24-2006, 07:09 PM
Faster than Porkchop

Kind of sucks when your going 50 and all of a sudden bang(feel's like you lost a tire) where you stop is where you get picked up and towed from.This was in my old Iroc that I used to own .

I want to replace mine , I dont want it to happen a gain .

1997 Ford Thunderbird 4.6 Sport .

60'...... 2.06
1/8th .. 9.194
mph .... 77.13

mods*
PI heads *PI intake*Mark VIII torque converter*Cobra T-loc w\4.10's * Jmod*tranny fluid cooler*P&P stock T/B & plenum*UD pulleys* Dynotech 4in ds*80mm Lightning maf*Xcal2*02 GT intake tube.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-25-2006, 05:38 PM Thread Starter

well its made anouther 200miles
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-26-2006, 03:50 PM

Well........glad ya made it back.

You could go another 200 miles........or maybe 2?

When I was hearing bad creaking from my front end I suspected bad balljoints. To diagnose for certain I poked a small hole in the boot surrounding the balljoint and pumped some oil in it and the creaking stopped....I replaced my upper and lower control arm assemblies and all is good.

Eric
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-27-2006, 06:05 PM
PostWhore

It definitely sounds like a balljoint or control arm bushing needs to be replaced. I wouldn't wait. Put the front end up on jackstands and wiggle the wheel to look for play. If nothing shows up, then jack up the lower control arm until it's at about ride height (to unload the ball joint). Then try the wiggle again.

-------------------

Steve

Owner, 1990 Thunderbird SC, white w/ gray cloth
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-27-2006, 06:34 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Best case it is bushings, worst case it is ball joints.

Bushings are noisy and if they totally fail, stuff stays together, you limp it home.

Ball joints break and the spindle is no longer attached at the top or the bottom, bad things happen and happen fast. Be it in a parking lot low speed turn or squeezing that last 5 mph going over expansion joints in a hard corner.

--
97 Mark VIII LSC/Silver/Gray leather
97 Cougar 4.6 Sport/White Opalescent Tricoat Metallic /Gray leather down but not out?
89 Cougar LS 3.8/Oxford White/Gray velour/HG need replaced AGAIN
00 Grand Marquis LS/Vibrant White/Gray velour
63 Falcon 302/black and rust/shed isn't moving
82 F-150/Oxford White/dumb VV carb doesn't pass emissions
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-27-2006, 06:38 PM
Hittin' Switches

Send a message via AIM to musto
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bangster
Best case it is bushings, worst case it is ball joints.

Bushings are noisy and if they totally fail, stuff stays together, you limp it home.

Ball joints break and the spindle is no longer attached at the top or the bottom, bad things happen and happen fast. Be it in a parking lot low speed turn or squeezing that last 5 mph going over expansion joints in a hard corner.
my cv joints went out on me one time, luckily i was only going about 30. if you on the interstate, lord help you.
the whole front of my car slammed to the ground and scraped to a stop.

not fun at all.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-27-2006, 06:52 PM

You have boots around your ball joints? I ain't got no stinking boots. I suppose I should replace them some day.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-27-2006, 09:15 PM Thread Starter

OK so what if the sqeuak and creak from me pushing on the fender has gone down to almost nothting now?????
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-28-2006, 08:39 AM
Hittin' Switches

Quote:
Originally Posted by punisher12b
OK so what if the sqeuak and creak from me pushing on the fender has gone down to almost nothting now?????

mine did that right before my cv joints went out. im serious, get it checked out asap, its nothin to joke around with.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-18-2006, 10:01 PM
PostWhore

Well, no CV joints on the front end of these cars. But ball joints, yes. The CV joints are in the rear where the driven wheels are.

Anyway, it's really impossible to tell you what is wrong based on vague descriptions of a noise we can't hear. You really have to put the car on jackstands and inspect it yourself, or take it to a shop and just ask them to give it the once-over. If your inspection is coming due anyway, maybe you can take it in early.

-------------------

Steve

Owner, 1990 Thunderbird SC, white w/ gray cloth
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-18-2006, 11:14 PM
Hittin' Switches

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_Mazza
Well, no CV joints on the front end of these cars. But ball joints, yes. The CV joints are in the rear where the driven wheels are.

Anyway, it's really impossible to tell you what is wrong based on vague descriptions of a noise we can't hear. You really have to put the car on jackstands and inspect it yourself, or take it to a shop and just ask them to give it the once-over. If your inspection is coming due anyway, maybe you can take it in early.

then my ball joints went out... all i know is my old tbird had that description,then a couple weeks later im driving down the road and the front end falls to the ground... not good.
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-19-2006, 09:40 PM
PostWhore

I had that problem with my 1990 bird and I finally looked into it and one of the swaybar links was completly gone! Dont know how it maneged to completly come off but a new one fixed my problem.

1995 T-bird 4.6l - Eibach lowering springs, Cobra R hood, One 12" sub woofer, Alpine type-R front speakers. 16.249 @85.11mph 1/4 mile
2001 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 - Cam, headers, HPtuned by me.
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-19-2006, 09:52 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to 95xbird Send a message via MSN to 95xbird
Quote:
Originally Posted by musto
then my ball joints went out... all i know is my old tbird had that description,then a couple weeks later im driving down the road and the front end falls to the ground... not good.
Might of been your upper ball joint or control arm assy.Mine were bad last summer and it felt like the car was gonna fall apart.
Good time's.

04 PI swap,SVO Supercharger 8-9 psi,Alcohol injection,39lbs Cobra injectors,XCal2-Walbro 255 LPH fuel pump,4.10 T-Lok,2003 4R70W built to withstand by RobertP,450hp JMOD,3800 circleD stall,trucool 4739 Trans Cooler,Dynotech 3.5 Driveshaft,70mm T/B,SCP Cold Air Intake,90mm LMAF,JBA headers,Magnaflow Midmount,No cats with 3inch piping,Vogtland 1.6inch drop,Cobra R's and xenon body kit.

Its slow, Really.
LS1 KILLER
1995 svo Tbird. R.I.P.
Parts FOR SALE http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=132585
96 Pearl white bird. Awaiting transplants from the 95
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-24-2006, 05:34 PM

Take a close look at your upper and lower ball joints. Also the stabilizer endlinks. The strut bar bushings are hard to diagnose while installed. Mine looked O.K., but I replaced them anyway (thank God). Look at the picture below. This is after 180k miles. I'm glad I finally fixed everything (except now I have to work on the rear end bushings). The car drives quieter than my 2003 Taurus with only 60k miles. I still have to get it lined up (I made adjustment marks) someday. The tech at the shop says I need a couple of rear bushings before he can align it. He said the numbers up front were within factory specs as I had it anyway, so I'm not in a big hurry.
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-24-2006, 06:58 PM

Wow those look just like mine do!!

--Chris

DirtyDog Torque Converter For Sale!!
Huge Parts Sale!!

1996 Thunderbird LX
Awaiting some tender deconstruction...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in