Camber kit? - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-30-2006, 09:13 AM Thread Starter

Camber kit?

I took my T-Bird in this morning to have the tires rotated an balanced, which I do about every three months, and to have one repaired due to nail.

They showed me the front tires had teh inner shoulder really worn down. The rears showed it too just not to that extream.

The car has Eibach springs, put on last year, and Bilstein shocks. The tires are Kumho Ectsa 711s on 17" T-Bird Cobra wheels. The tires and wheels were put on around this time last year. The front upper and lower control arms were replaced around the same time too.

I have the Firestone Life time alignment and had been taking it in every three months to have the alignment done.

The guys at Discount Tire this morning suggested getting a Camber Kit to take care of the problem.

Anybody have any experience with these and know where to get one? HOw much are they? Any suggestions on other possible causes?

I appreciate the help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-30-2006, 11:55 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to The Great Obucina
camber kits dont exist for these cars....they just dont know how to align your car. Find an actual alignment shop to do it. There is plenty of adjustment space between both the camber bolt and the strut rod adjustments.....the guy who told you to get a camber kit is wha i would call...."an assclown".

"Booyah". Stu Scott.
1996 Braincoated, all Aluminum PI powered and obscenely loud Pearl White Tbird [email protected] AKA Dyrdek.
2013 Black on black FX2 Supercrew Ecoboost F150. Roll onto the scene with the ceiling missing.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-30-2006, 07:43 PM
drag-aholic

I have heard that term before also. They say the "kit" has a cam'd bolt. Our bolt is already cam'd.

1989 LX Full Air Suspension
Owner / Operator BAGGEDBIRDS.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-30-2006, 10:32 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Obucina
camber kits dont exist for these cars....they just dont know how to align your car. Find an actual alignment shop to do it. There is plenty of adjustment space between both the camber bolt and the strut rod adjustments.....the guy who told you to get a camber kit is wha i would call...."an assclown".

Thanks for the replies.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-01-2006, 11:19 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to Traveler
I had to go to Four alignment shops before I'd find one that would align my car. As soon as they heard the phrase "lowering springs" they said no. Finally the local GM dealer said no problem and did a good job at all four corners. I may have to head back and have it looked at again. Its been about a year, and I have bigger tires now.

1997 Thunderbird Sport
Low Miles
Wifes Car
destined to remain stock

1997 T-Bird GT 4.6
80 MM Mustang GT MAF - P&P'd Mustang GT TB and Intake Plenum - PI Intake manifold - PI Heads
Mark VIII Torque Converter - J-Modded 4R70W transmission - Mark VIII Aluminum Driveshaft - 3.73 gears
PBR Brake Calipers - Eibach Springs - KYB Shocks
'89 SuperCoupe front and rear sway bars
SCT Chip programmed by Lonnie Doll
255/50/16 Falken Ziex ZE-512's
True Dual exhaust with Magnaflow DI/DO muffler
<<< SOLD >>>
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-01-2006, 05:50 PM Thread Starter

I dont know why but my car has always worn tires fast.

We bought it new and it had a pronounced pull to one side. The dealership blamed the Firestone tires. After much haggling witht he Firestone place, tehy finally gave me a price break on a new pair.

But, whether normal height or lowered it seems to wear out tires faster than it should. I dont drive agresssively or spin the tires. I align and balance regularly. In fact since July of last year, this makes the fifth time.

So I am at a loss to explain this.

Any theories?
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-02-2006, 07:43 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

I've always just had Firestone and the lifetime alignment. But now that I've moved and neither car is covered (never got around to the 5.0 and the SC anit needed it yet) I'm going to be in the same boat shortly.

If all else fails get a bigger hammer!

93 SC Tbird
MPII w/ Plenum,90mm MAF, 85mm TB, 40# Injectors, 255 lph FP, Double IC w/fan, SCT Chip (Tuned by Jerry),3/4" Raised Top, F52-TT TC, SilverFox AOD 550, SPT-R VB
96 1/2 XR7 Sold and Salvaged
93 5.0 Tbird
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-03-2006, 10:47 PM Thread Starter

Dont know if it would help, but I scanned in the before and after specs and posted it here:

post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-04-2006, 01:35 AM
Chapter Director Coordinator

seriously consider takin it to a dealer for an alignment.. one time fee of $40.. then you have the specs you need to carry with you when you go to the firestone shop can't argue with what the dealer set it as

I bust ARP bolts by hand...

If Guns kill people, then...
...pencils miss spel werds
...cars make people drive drunk
...spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat
~Gun Owners of America
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-04-2006, 08:18 AM
Eleventeenth Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by gzj14v
Dont know if it would help, but I scanned in the before and after specs and posted it here:

If you go back to that Firestone for an alignment, be sure and have someone else do it. That "not adjustable" note about the rear camber is very incorrect. I had a debate with the the guy that did my last alignment about that. I ended up having to get under the car myself and show him. There is an eccentric bolt located on the frame side of the rear upper control arm that will let you adjust the rear camber.

Sold = 96 Thunderbird
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-04-2006, 06:37 PM
The Parts Guy

Last time I took one of my MN12's in for an alignment, the shop tried to pull the same crap on me....so I climbed under the car and showed the guy how to set up the alignment. I'd do it myself if I had all the cool alignment gear.

-Rod

Rod @ AzzKicker Cars
[email protected]
90 XR7-The Meth Addict-KB SC'd 5.0L DOHC Stroker
2004 Mustang GT-The Driver-Intake/Exhaust/3.73's
1995 F150 4x4-The Mud Toy-5.0L/4R70W/33's/Warn 8274 Winch
94 LX w/Splitport 3.8L from 2000 Mustang - SOLD
2 - 90 35th Anny Ed SC's
And a TON of parts cars!
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-04-2006, 06:45 PM
Eleventeenth Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by racecougar
I'd do it myself if I had all the cool alignment gear.

I did an alignment myself once after doing some suspension work just to get it close before I took it to get aligned. I used some string and a carpenters square like 392Bird described a while back, and I did a pretty good job. I told the guy who did my alignment how I did it and he was shocked how close I got it.

Sold = 96 Thunderbird
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-04-2006, 06:51 PM
The Parts Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron K.

I did an alignment myself once after doing some suspension work just to get it close before I took it to get aligned. I used some string and a carpenters square like 392Bird described a while back, and I did a pretty good job. I told the guy who did my alignment how I did it and he was shocked how close I got it.
I've done the same, but while the results are close, they aren't as accurate as what you'll get with the "pro" equipment.

-Rod

Rod @ AzzKicker Cars
[email protected]
90 XR7-The Meth Addict-KB SC'd 5.0L DOHC Stroker
2004 Mustang GT-The Driver-Intake/Exhaust/3.73's
1995 F150 4x4-The Mud Toy-5.0L/4R70W/33's/Warn 8274 Winch
94 LX w/Splitport 3.8L from 2000 Mustang - SOLD
2 - 90 35th Anny Ed SC's
And a TON of parts cars!
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-05-2006, 12:16 AM
6th Gear Poster

Quote:
I've done the same, but while the results are close, they aren't as accurate as what you'll get with the "pro" equipment.

-Rod
I had to do the same to adjust the rear camber and toe on my right rear wheel after an alignment shop screwed up that wheel. I had one front upper control arm out on my other car and reinstalled it using sting and sight. 50 or so thousand miles later, the car still drives great and wears tires very well. Much depends on the skills of the individual in question.

Mitch
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-05-2006, 12:26 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to The Great Obucina
Quote:

-Rod
the shop I use, which is the one aaron happens to hate, uses some old skule equipment and gets the front end spot on everytime. The guy who does my car does it everytime i come in. Weber is the only shop ive been to that actually adjusts the strut rod. All the other grease monkies used to crank on the camber bolt till the green lights flashed.

"Booyah". Stu Scott.
1996 Braincoated, all Aluminum PI powered and obscenely loud Pearl White Tbird [email protected] AKA Dyrdek.
2013 Black on black FX2 Supercrew Ecoboost F150. Roll onto the scene with the ceiling missing.
post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-05-2006, 08:12 AM

I adjusted my front alignment perfectly with a tape measure and a bubble type caster/camber gauge. The gauge is one that centers on the spindle after removing the dust cap and stays in place with a magnet. A $50,000 alignment rack is only as good as the goofball setting it up, so odds are my bubble gauge is better 90% of the time. The front tires still look new a year later but the rears are almost bald
post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-22-2006, 12:41 PM Thread Starter

Finally took the car into a Ford dealership and had them check teh alignment.

They said everything was within specs but made a few minor adjustments including towing out the front tires just a smidge.

http://www.dropshots.com/day.php?use...2&ctime=095011

Still sucks that I need to get new tires in just a year though.
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-24-2006, 03:35 AM
3rd Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by icantdrive55
I adjusted my front alignment perfectly with a tape measure and a bubble type caster/camber gauge. The gauge is one that centers on the spindle after removing the dust cap and stays in place with a magnet. A $50,000 alignment rack is only as good as the goofball setting it up, so odds are my bubble gauge is better 90% of the time. The front tires still look new a year later but the rears are almost bald
I'm a level 3 auto technician (alignment/suspension/brake) for Sears and used to work at a dealership. The idiots they let do alignments really scares me. With the newer machines you have to ignore the directions to mis-align a vehicle and then it won't let you sign off as done. Yes the newer machines actually show you how to do every step of the alignment (with videos, suggested tools, and audio aids). The old bubble type gauges do still work, but I would never use them on my vehicles. I use a Hunter DSP-600 (wireless laser compensated) and matching Hunter 24,000lb x-long four post rack, that's about a $95,000 dollar machine after proper installation and leveling. I have never had a comeback on an alignment besides a yearly checkup. I aligned mine after lowering it 3" all around and installing a staggered 17/18 combo and check it every 3 months. It is still in perfect spec, the same spec that Ford has for it. Our machine is maintained and updated anually (so that we have the same specs as the dealerships). If someone tells you you need a camber kit for a vehicle that is factory adjustable (all they have to do is enter it in the machine and it will tell them) it's time to go somewhere else. Somewhere that knows what they're doing. Sorry for the rant but I have had to fix alot of fubared alignments that other people have screwed up lately at the other shops in town.

1990 35th Anny. Supercoupe (under construction). 1991 Supercoupe (tastefully modded). 1989 5-speed Supercoupe (modded). 2003 Yamaha YZF600R (rocket)
1989 Taurus SHO (very lightly modded, but broken again)
1967 Ford F100 2WD (460 bored .060 over, too much cam and gearing for the street).

Last edited by moore89; 10-24-2006 at 03:52 AM.
post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-24-2006, 03:48 AM
3rd Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by gzj14v
Finally took the car into a Ford dealership and had them check teh alignment.

They said everything was within specs but made a few minor adjustments including towing out the front tires just a smidge.

http://www.dropshots.com/day.php?use...2&ctime=095011

Still sucks that I need to get new tires in just a year though.
It looks like your front tires still have a good amount of negative camber (camber and toe are the big destroyers of tires). They do show to be in the specified range of -1.3 to 0.3 but still negative. If they are using a DSP-300 or newer their machine should have a half tollerance setting that when applied will make that range 1/2 of what it is now. My front tires are at 0.01 and 0.02 for camber and 0.02 both sides for toe. I usually use half tollerance unless I'm working on a f350 or something heavy duty.

1990 35th Anny. Supercoupe (under construction). 1991 Supercoupe (tastefully modded). 1989 5-speed Supercoupe (modded). 2003 Yamaha YZF600R (rocket)
1967 Ford F100 2WD (460 bored .060 over, too much cam and gearing for the street).

Last edited by moore89; 10-24-2006 at 03:53 AM.
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-20-2007, 01:11 PM

i am running into the same thing guys. this guy was very knowledgable and showed me there was no adjustment left and i still had crazy negative camber left. he also asked if i knew is someone made a cambe kits. i have taken it to two shops now and the second one was very reputable and alll they do is suspension stuff. so what do i do to help fix my problem with not being able to be aligned. i also hav ethe eibach kit
post #21 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-20-2007, 01:25 PM
drag-aholic

i believe the slotted hole for the bolt has a little more room left in it even after the eccentric is maxed out. i would maybe think about grinding the eccentic down to get that arm a little further inward. just a thought. someone else had mentioned this a while ago somewhere.

1989 LX Full Air Suspension
Owner / Operator BAGGEDBIRDS.com
post #22 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-20-2007, 02:34 PM
Resident drifter

I cut my eibach springs and my alignment is still only a half degree out of acceptable range...with around 3 inches of drop. If you replaced all your suspension stuff, something else is wrong. has your car ever been in an accident? or maybe something happened before you got it.
post #23 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-20-2007, 04:01 PM Thread Starter

I wound up going to a Mercury dealership. They aligned it without any problems. (See previous posts above.)
post #24 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-20-2007, 04:04 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to Traveler
Quote:
Originally Posted by moore89 View Post
I'm a level 3 auto technician (alignment/suspension/brake) for Sears and used to work at a dealership. The idiots they let do alignments really scares me. With the newer machines you have to ignore the directions to mis-align a vehicle and then it won't let you sign off as done. Yes the newer machines actually show you how to do every step of the alignment (with videos, suggested tools, and audio aids). The old bubble type gauges do still work, but I would never use them on my vehicles. I use a Hunter DSP-600 (wireless laser compensated) and matching Hunter 24,000lb x-long four post rack, that's about a $95,000 dollar machine after proper installation and leveling. I have never had a comeback on an alignment besides a yearly checkup. I aligned mine after lowering it 3" all around and installing a staggered 17/18 combo and check it every 3 months. It is still in perfect spec, the same spec that Ford has for it. Our machine is maintained and updated anually (so that we have the same specs as the dealerships). If someone tells you you need a camber kit for a vehicle that is factory adjustable (all they have to do is enter it in the machine and it will tell them) it's time to go somewhere else. Somewhere that knows what they're doing. Sorry for the rant but I have had to fix alot of fubared alignments that other people have screwed up lately at the other shops in town.
Sounds like I may have to look into a trip to Enid! What does your shop charge for a 4 wheel alignment? I'll need one once I get the Eibachs installed. (well, re-installed. Off of the LE and onto the LX)

1997 Thunderbird Sport
Low Miles
Wifes Car
destined to remain stock

1997 T-Bird GT 4.6
80 MM Mustang GT MAF - P&P'd Mustang GT TB and Intake Plenum - PI Intake manifold - PI Heads
Mark VIII Torque Converter - J-Modded 4R70W transmission - Mark VIII Aluminum Driveshaft - 3.73 gears
PBR Brake Calipers - Eibach Springs - KYB Shocks
'89 SuperCoupe front and rear sway bars
SCT Chip programmed by Lonnie Doll
255/50/16 Falken Ziex ZE-512's
True Dual exhaust with Magnaflow DI/DO muffler
<<< SOLD >>>
post #25 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-20-2007, 04:29 PM
Faster than Porkchop

The shop (small Shop) used a long stick and spray paint .

He did a better job then the computerized shop I first took it to and charged me 35.00 .

1997 Ford Thunderbird 4.6 Sport .

60'...... 2.06
1/8th .. 9.194
mph .... 77.13

mods*
PI heads *PI intake*Mark VIII torque converter*Cobra T-loc w\4.10's * Jmod*tranny fluid cooler*P&P stock T/B & plenum*UD pulleys* Dynotech 4in ds*80mm Lightning maf*Xcal2*02 GT intake tube.
post #26 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-21-2007, 09:09 PM
3rd Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
Sounds like I may have to look into a trip to Enid! What does your shop charge for a 4 wheel alignment? I'll need one once I get the Eibachs installed. (well, re-installed. Off of the LE and onto the LX)
They charge $64.99 for an alignment, but I don't work there anymore so I don't know how good the work quality is now. I know the other tech 3 there and he's not really a perfectionist. If anyone was curious mine has a 3" drop via springs (jamex) and all new suspension components, paired with a staggered set of 17x9's 245/45's and 18x10's 275/40's. Oh and on a side note My 35th got a face lift thanks to a un-yeilding Honda Accord a few months ago. But the alignment is still good , just took out the bumper, hood, LF fender and bumper support (totaled it got 3K for it bought it back for $60) currently being rebuilt.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in