mustang II front supsension - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-30-2006, 08:30 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to coggonobrien Send a message via MSN to coggonobrien Send a message via Yahoo to coggonobrien
mustang II front supsension

just curious if anybody out that has utilized a mustang II with their mn12
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-30-2006, 09:41 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to MadMikeyL
Why? We already have a much better front suspension. Why would you want to downgrade to something from the 70s?

-91 Cougar LS, coming soon, complete overhaul with a 427" Windsor.
-90 XR7 5-speed black on black w/sunroof, MP2, coated rotors, double intercooler, 15%OD, ported heads, comp stage 1 cam, 85mm TB, 90MM LMAF, 80# injectors, and ported big valve heads
-98 Mark VIII LSC, Procharger P600b, TR3650 swap and 3.73s.
-90 SC Automatic rustbucket winter beater
-97 Tbird Sport 4.6 Nice weather daily driver
-"Your buddy Mike is INSANE!" -ClintD's dad
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-30-2006, 09:54 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to coggonobrien Send a message via MSN to coggonobrien Send a message via Yahoo to coggonobrien
it frees up soo much room to work. (our front suspension is basicaly the same as the 60's mustangs and mavericks) i need to replace a bunch of components on my car to allow the front end to get aligned. gotta love salty roads during the winter. so if i'm gonna do it i'd like to go with something to free up room for full sized headers. a mustang II supsension is generally viewed as one of the best for straight up drag racing
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-30-2006, 10:11 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

As the owner of a 63 Falcon, I can tell you that other than a little basic stuff, that there is very little in common with what we have for front suspension.

Yes, they both have strut rods. Shocks. Springs. Upper and Lower arms.

I would consider doing the MII front end in my Falcon so I can get rid of the shock towers, but I don't think doing the same with an MN12 would free up much room, not down low for headers anyways.

--
97 Mark VIII LSC/Silver/Gray leather
97 Cougar 4.6 Sport/White Opalescent Tricoat Metallic /Gray leather down but not out?
89 Cougar LS 3.8/Oxford White/Gray velour/HG need replaced AGAIN
00 Grand Marquis LS/Vibrant White/Gray velour
63 Falcon 302/black and rust/shed isn't moving
82 F-150/Oxford White/dumb VV carb doesn't pass emissions
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-30-2006, 10:11 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to MadMikeyL
Well the stang2 suspension has been bolted into pretty much everything with 4 wheels, so I'm sure you could make it work if you really want to. If you're doing it to gain room though, you'll probably have to do a lot to reinforce the front end after cutting away at the inner fender wells since on our cars that area is structural. Good luck.

Mike

-91 Cougar LS, coming soon, complete overhaul with a 427" Windsor.
-90 XR7 5-speed black on black w/sunroof, MP2, coated rotors, double intercooler, 15%OD, ported heads, comp stage 1 cam, 85mm TB, 90MM LMAF, 80# injectors, and ported big valve heads
-98 Mark VIII LSC, Procharger P600b, TR3650 swap and 3.73s.
-90 SC Automatic rustbucket winter beater
-97 Tbird Sport 4.6 Nice weather daily driver
-"Your buddy Mike is INSANE!" -ClintD's dad
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-30-2006, 10:33 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

actually i'm getting geared up to retire my bird from daily driver service in about a year and at that point the plan is to put a full free under her with a mustang II and a shortened 9 inch in the rear. i've get a 94 mark vIII 4.6 i'm gonna take out to 5 liters, cammed with headers. and possibily a 5 speed since the auto has 110000 miles on it the goal is to get a 12.5x29 drag slick under the rear so mini tub but nothing ridiculous
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-01-2006, 09:16 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

The reason the MII front suspension has been put under just about every type of hot rod is that it is compact and self contained. Also, the geometry is better than most stuff from the '60's but I wouldn't put money on it being better than an MN12. For a street driven MN12, there's just no point.

Now, if you are going to take it off the road and make it strictly a drag car, a MII front suspension might actually be a good idea. It will obviously take a lot of fab work, but you would be able to get rid of the shock towers, opening up some room under the hood. The cage (you are planning a cage, right?) could be run to the front frame rails and make up for any loss of rigidity.

You would also have plenty of parts support. Between the dirt track shops and hot rod shops, you would have plenty of options.

It's only funny until someone gets hurt.
Then it's freaking hilarious.

Adventures in ChumpCar Racing
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-01-2006, 11:16 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

i'm planning on some sort of cage, since i'm not planning on going over the 450-500 hp range i don't feel the need to get too out of hand with it. i'm going to keep as much of a full interior to it as possible. i'm debating between ladder bar and 4 link for the rear end but i will prolly end up with the ladder bar for simplicity and compactness again. hopefully i'll be able to retain some sort of a rear seat with it. i want it to look for the most part stock from 30ft out then when you start getting in closer you notice the details.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-01-2006, 11:16 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

i'd like to build it so i can take it down the strip but also potentially the power tour
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-01-2006, 12:17 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

You need to think this project through a little more. Swapping a solid axle in place of the IRS is a pretty big project; much more difficult than monkeying with the front suspension.

Again, the question is why? If you want to build a street/strip car, there are a lot better things to throw your money at than trying to redesign the factory suspension.

post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-01-2006, 12:35 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

i want to minitub the car and continue to run 15inch rims. the irs is going to hinder this quite a bit. plus there's the weight and strength problems associated with it. once i get some real torque to it its going to be only a matter of time before i start snapping cv joints.
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-01-2006, 01:00 PM
Who is John Galt?

Look at Siska's setup though. He's still running stock style suspension (with the exception of the coilovers in the front) front and rear, most of the interior and he's in the 10's.

"Won't work, can't be done"
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-01-2006, 01:39 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

You realize you will have to go to a fuel cell, presumably in the trunk, although you can drop it through the trunk floor if desired. And I'm not 100% certain there is room in the transmission tunnel for the driveshaft to move up and down with the rear end at a normal ride height.

I'm not trying to knock your project, but I get the feeling you haven't really thought it through. Put your car up on jackstands and lay under it for a while. You'll start seeing a lot of issues with going to a solid axle. Especially if it's not necessary.

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-01-2006, 04:34 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

oh i've thought it through i know this isn't gonna be quick or easy. i'm planning on 2 year minimum. i'm gonna completely gut the car from nose to tail. basically i'm gonna shell the car (floor plans and all) put a full tube frame under it. then from that point i'll rebuild. most likely i'll have to fab up a new k members to work with the mII. custom motor mounts to keep it slinky and low. the whole frame will be tucked up under the body so you can't see it. fuel cell was definately gonna happen with a trunk mounted battery. once i get all the framework and drivetrane in place i'll make new floor plans to work around everything and hopefully get the original interor back in. the only really questionable area for me as far as that goes will be making the center console fit again. i might just have to glass a new one. i've been workin' on old car's and pro streeters at my buddies shop for the last 10 years so there's no question for me of how big of a task this is gonna be. the car is getting old enough now that the iowa winters are taking its toll so if i'm gonna replace some rot and paint it (myself) i may as well do everything i could possibly want to do with it. the only reason i'm not going big displacement is cause i still want to make it driveable and what will be my daily driver when i start this project will become the killer when this is completed. i've got an old maverick grabber lined up that when i start it it will be receiving a 460. trust me i'm not taking any offense to any of ur comments help and concern is always welcome especially when big bucks are involved
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-02-2006, 01:42 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Man I wish I had a place to work on cars when I was 12. I would have been light years ahead of where I am now.

Hmmm my boy is 9. I can get him changing the oil now and move him up.....
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-02-2006, 02:04 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to The Great Obucina
Quote:
Originally Posted by coggonobrien
oh i've thought it through i know this isn't gonna be quick or easy. i'm planning on 2 year minimum. i'm gonna completely gut the car from nose to tail. basically i'm gonna shell the car (floor plans and all) put a full tube frame under it. then from that point i'll rebuild. most likely i'll have to fab up a new k members to work with the mII. custom motor mounts to keep it slinky and low. the whole frame will be tucked up under the body so you can't see it. fuel cell was definately gonna happen with a trunk mounted battery. once i get all the framework and drivetrane in place i'll make new floor plans to work around everything and hopefully get the original interor back in. the only really questionable area for me as far as that goes will be making the center console fit again. i might just have to glass a new one. i've been workin' on old car's and pro streeters at my buddies shop for the last 10 years so there's no question for me of how big of a task this is gonna be. the car is getting old enough now that the iowa winters are taking its toll so if i'm gonna replace some rot and paint it (myself) i may as well do everything i could possibly want to do with it. the only reason i'm not going big displacement is cause i still want to make it driveable and what will be my daily driver when i start this project will become the killer when this is completed. i've got an old maverick grabber lined up that when i start it it will be receiving a 460. trust me i'm not taking any offense to any of ur comments help and concern is always welcome especially when big bucks are involved
ou do realize that JL is running low 12s with alot less than what you want to do, right?

"Booyah". Stu Scott.
1996 Braincoated, all Aluminum PI powered and obscenely loud Pearl White Tbird [email protected] AKA Dyrdek.
2013 Black on black FX2 Supercrew Ecoboost F150. Roll onto the scene with the ceiling missing.
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-02-2006, 08:09 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbrown
Man I wish I had a place to work on cars when I was 12. I would have been light years ahead of where I am now.

it was nice but none of the vehicles were mine or my families so it was purely for the joy of learning.
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-02-2006, 08:11 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Obucina
ou do realize that JL is running low 12s with alot less than what you want to do, right?
i'm aware, what has me wondering is the fact the jl and siska are running these time's with relatively stock suspensions and minimal stiffening of their cars. the question is what if. if these guys had the same power but race specific supsensions what could they be running?
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-02-2006, 08:13 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

i still won't have all that terribley high amount of money into the car, tube frame kit runs about 1000 same for a ladderbar with rearend. mII's run anywhere from 500-1500 depending on what you want. couple hundred for the fuel cell then the rest is sheet metal, plumbing and a lot of hours on my part since i'll be doing all of it myself
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-02-2006, 09:00 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbrown

That's how I started, Rodney. We were too poor to pay anyone to fix our cars, so my dad and I did it out of necessity. Oil changes by the age of 10. Water pumps by the time I was 12, engine transplants before I got my driver's license.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in