Strange noise from steering? Rack and pinion? - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-18-2006, 12:35 AM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

Strange noise from steering? Rack and pinion?

My 95 SC makes some awful noises when turning. The local Ford dealer replaced the upper control arm on the passenger side due to a failed ball joint a couple weeks ago (did drivers side 1 year earlier). The rest of the bushings and ball joints looked fine to them.

Tires are less than a year old and have under 10k on them, properly inflated. BFG Traction T/As in original spec sizes.

Basically, when turning, the car lets out some awful noises. Moans and almost a grinding sound. Car has good power steering fluid level. Steering doesn't like to center itself up correctly when you let go of the wheel after turning - just gets close. No noise at road speeds, just when turning at slower speeds - like parking the car, backing out of parking spaces etc.

Is this a rack and pinion problem likely?

I can't do this repair myself at this time, need to hire someone to do it. The local Ford dealer has been great in the past, but not so great on the last repair or two. Would like to 'shop around' - how much should I pay for this repair?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-18-2006, 11:44 AM

Sounds like bad tie-rods. My SHO made a terrible groaning sound when turning at slow speeds until I replaced them. It's a pain on a FWD car, but not too bad on RWD. You should be able to find a shop that will do the whole job for around $300 (maybe a little more with alignment).
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-18-2006, 07:09 PM

I have the same problem. Ive replaced upper control arms and stabalizer links and still does it. Maybe the power steering pump is going bad from the wheel not going back to center after turning? I have that problem too.

How would we determine what it is that makes the noise so we do not replace parts we don't need to?

Also when I push down on the front fender it squeks but not as bad as when turning.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in