Front End Help - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-23-2006, 01:19 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

Front End Help

Alright guys I need some help with my front suspension. I have replaced the struts, springs, upper control arms, and the upper strut mounts. At first it rode nicely, but soon after one side started to rattle on bumps, and now both sides do. Its sounds like metal clanking together. Pushing straight down on the front end does nothing, its quiet. Everything should be tight, but i can go over it all again. But is it possible that the new parts are just stressing out the old bushing/parts/etc and something else is clanking? Any thoughts on what it might be? it definitely comes from the suspension and it sounds like something metal banging around against the thin strut tower metal, but it could be anything. Any help would be great , thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-23-2006, 01:46 PM
6th Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to wether
Sway bar links is the cause of the rattle. The rear are probably bad as well if the front is making a noise. They tend to go out quite regularly if you ask me. (front and rear sway bar links)

Currently In the Short Bus Garage:
2 - '94 T-bird LX's 4.6L (one with 300,000+ miles and one with 200,000+ miles)
1 - '97 Mark VIII LSC - INTECH V8 (120,000+ miles)
1 - '97 F150 XLT 4x4 Flareside, 4.6L (130,000+ miles) - Currently being dismantled and rebuilt with upgrades!
1 - '00 Mustang GT (likes to accelerate with the brake on!), 4.6L (60,000+ miles - only comes out when I need to get somewhere fast.)

oh yeah, and they all have 4R70W's
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-23-2006, 05:18 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

any thoughts on a good brand, because i know some parts are preferred. Moog, trw, mcquay, or just anything for these? i use mostly trw , just wondering if it actually makes a difference for the links
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-24-2006, 12:22 PM
6th Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to wether
I have put MOOG on my two t-birds where they have been replaced and I have no complaints. The OEM front links are shaped differently than the aftermarket. . . .Their shape tends to look like it lessens the stress on the "ball" joint ends of the links. . . . .Just my observations and I am only a mathematician, not an engineer, so I can't say if this is the case for sure.

Currently In the Short Bus Garage:
2 - '94 T-bird LX's 4.6L (one with 300,000+ miles and one with 200,000+ miles)
1 - '97 Mark VIII LSC - INTECH V8 (120,000+ miles)
1 - '97 F150 XLT 4x4 Flareside, 4.6L (130,000+ miles) - Currently being dismantled and rebuilt with upgrades!
1 - '00 Mustang GT (likes to accelerate with the brake on!), 4.6L (60,000+ miles - only comes out when I need to get somewhere fast.)

oh yeah, and they all have 4R70W's
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-25-2006, 11:18 AM

I agree with the swaybar link suggestion, but...

You might also want to check the front strut rod bushings. When they fail it can cause creaking and clanking. The front half of the rubber bushing will weaken with age and eventually collapse (split). Moog bushings were known to have a problem with splitting in a very short period of use, but I've read that they changed the design to correct the problem. OEM Ford is still probably the best bet if this is the cause of your problem.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-25-2006, 06:06 PM

Ok, mine does pretty much the same thing. Only difference is I've changed everything. The only thing I can think of is my nuts on my strut rods aren't run down enough to squash the new bushings enough. I can't turn them any farther though.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-26-2006, 09:12 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Strut rod bushings

~~Hello

Sometimes the inner washer(anti crush) on the Strut Rod bushings are too long. Just grind it down alittle. Worked for me.

I think I saw it in tech, Not sure.

Paul

Paul [email protected]
1990 Thunderbird Circle Track Street Stock
351W 2bbl.
C-4 Auto
3.90 open rear
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-26-2006, 10:30 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via MSN to bad93bird
The inner strut rod bushing on mine on the driver side is gone. It makes the passenger side make noise. Wierd!
Okay, so where do I get the strut rod bushings?

QUADSQUAD MEMBER

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in