rear sway bars. - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-20-2006, 09:37 PM Thread Starter
6th Gear Poster

Garage
rear sway bars.

hey. i wanna do a rear sway bar. so if i go with the 1 1/4 i dont have to change the frount one right? at a later date ill prolly do the frount. just want a lil better handleing. do u think the Addco 1 1/4 is a good choice. i just wanna hear what u guys think n learned from doing it yourselfs.

thx dank.

Project still in progress
Explorer engine, vortech v2,intercooled,bullit intake,derale power steering cooler, b&m trans cooler, oil filter relocation, cobra aluminum radiator, Walbro 255 Pump, Intrax 2in lowering springs, KYB front/back,,mark8 Driveshaft, 1.25Rear sway bar, 3:73 aluminum diff, TrackLok, Rear Diff Cover Brace, Sc Wheels 235/60s, Jmodd, Air Bags in Springs,Rear strut Bar,17in Mirror Blk CobraRs, Sc L Brackets, rear torsional load brace, kmember-frame brace, weightloss program, pbr dual pistons drilled/slotted, stainless lines , recaro seats, sct x4 DonL tuned
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-20-2006, 09:51 PM
Who is John Galt?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoHaggard
so if i go with the 1 1/4 i don't have to change the front one right?
Correct

Quote:
do you think the Addco 1 1/4 is a good choice.
Unless you're replacing it with a factory bar, I'm pretty sure that Addco is the only name in the game. My plans are for 1 1/4" bars front and rear eventually. I did buy a 91 SC bar for the front, but it was too much of a PITA to install it at the time.

BTW - Spelling words correctly is a good thing

"Won't work, can't be done"
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-20-2006, 10:09 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to Traveler
I've got (or had) a set of 89 SC bars on my 97 Bird. They are pretty good for the price. Just a whistle smaller than the SC bars. 1.10" in rear and 1.20" in front. I paid 100 dollars for the set used.

And Cougar_guy04 is correct the front one is a pain to install, (and spelling does count)

1997 Thunderbird Sport
Low Miles
Wifes Car
destined to remain stock

1997 T-Bird GT 4.6
80 MM Mustang GT MAF - P&P'd Mustang GT TB and Intake Plenum - PI Intake manifold - PI Heads
Mark VIII Torque Converter - J-Modded 4R70W transmission - Mark VIII Aluminum Driveshaft - 3.73 gears
PBR Brake Calipers - Eibach Springs - KYB Shocks
'89 SuperCoupe front and rear sway bars
SCT Chip programmed by Lonnie Doll
255/50/16 Falken Ziex ZE-512's
True Dual exhaust with Magnaflow DI/DO muffler
<<< SOLD >>>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-29-2006, 02:23 PM

the other guys

Got my bars from PST.com. Excellent quality, better price, nice folks.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-29-2006, 04:47 PM Thread Starter
6th Gear Poster

Garage
pst?

Explorer engine, vortech v2,intercooled,bullit intake,derale power steering cooler, b&m trans cooler, oil filter relocation, cobra aluminum radiator, Walbro 255 Pump, Intrax 2in lowering springs, KYB front/back,,mark8 Driveshaft, 1.25Rear sway bar, 3:73 aluminum diff, TrackLok, Rear Diff Cover Brace, Sc Wheels 235/60s, Jmodd, Air Bags in Springs,Rear strut Bar,17in Mirror Blk CobraRs, Sc L Brackets, rear torsional load brace, kmember-frame brace, weightloss program, pbr dual pistons drilled/slotted, stainless lines , recaro seats, sct x4 DonL tuned
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-29-2006, 06:43 PM
2nd Gear Poster

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-29-2006, 07:45 PM Thread Starter
6th Gear Poster

Garage
1 1/4 make more oversteer or understeer?

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-02-2006, 08:25 AM Thread Starter
6th Gear Poster

Garage
any1 know..

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-02-2006, 08:35 AM
Heavily Medicated Crime Fighter

Send a message via AIM to Mark M. TCCoA VP Send a message via Yahoo to Mark M. TCCoA VP
The 1 1/4" rear bar with the stock front bars moves you away from understeer to a more neutral setup.

"Mark M. TCCoA VP. Emeritus"

To the Batmobile ! ! !

ADDCO MN12 big bar R&D guru
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-03-2006, 02:34 PM Thread Starter
6th Gear Poster

Garage
accelerating out of a turn. would make slide back end around more or what?

post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-03-2006, 02:37 PM
Heavily Medicated Crime Fighter

Send a message via AIM to Mark M. TCCoA VP Send a message via Yahoo to Mark M. TCCoA VP
You can read all about it in the tech articles section of this site.

Oversteer
Oversteer is when the rear wheels are carving a larger arc than the front wheels or the intended line of the turn. Rear "slip angles" exceed those of the front tires. This is often described as a "loose" condition, as the car feels like it may swap ends, or be "twitchy."
This condition can be caused by "power oversteer", where you need to reduce power in order to bring the back end back into line.

Understeer
Understeer is when the front wheels are carving a larger arc than the rear wheels. This is often described as "push" or "pushing" - as the front end feels like it is plowing off of a corner.
Further acceleration only compounds the push, as weight shifts back to the rear drive wheels off of the front turning wheels, leading to a further lessening of the car's ability to turn in.

Understeer can be remedied by slight modulation in throttle to transfer weight forward to the front wheels, aiding their traction and ability to carve the turn.

Many cars are designed to have a tendency to understeer. If the driver gets uncomfortable and "lifts" off the gas, that will cause the front end to tighten the curve - a relatively safer, and more predictable condition for the common driver.

"Mark M. TCCoA VP. Emeritus"

To the Batmobile ! ! !

ADDCO MN12 big bar R&D guru
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-03-2006, 04:21 PM Thread Starter
6th Gear Poster

Garage
so the 1 1/4 bar would prolly be the best for handleing. n kickin it sideways if i wanted to..im not fast n furious im just askin?

post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-04-2006, 08:51 PM Thread Starter
6th Gear Poster

Garage
so i guess im going to get the 1 1/4 rear sway bar. should i order anything else while im at it..
Short Rear Sway Bar Link Kit - with Polyurethane Bushings ?
any other bushings or anything?

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-04-2006, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharon Silver
Got my bars from PST.com. Excellent quality, better price, nice folks.
Where on this site, or p-s-t.com, are there MN12 sway bars?
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-04-2006, 09:38 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to Traveler
Quote:
so i guess im going to get the 1 1/4 rear sway bar. should i order anything else while im at it..
Short Rear Sway Bar Link Kit - with Polyurethane Bushings ?
any other bushings or anything?
You'll only need the short sway bar link kit if the car has been lowered.

1997 Thunderbird Sport
Low Miles
Wifes Car
destined to remain stock

1997 T-Bird GT 4.6
80 MM Mustang GT MAF - P&P'd Mustang GT TB and Intake Plenum - PI Intake manifold - PI Heads
Mark VIII Torque Converter - J-Modded 4R70W transmission - Mark VIII Aluminum Driveshaft - 3.73 gears
PBR Brake Calipers - Eibach Springs - KYB Shocks
'89 SuperCoupe front and rear sway bars
SCT Chip programmed by Lonnie Doll
255/50/16 Falken Ziex ZE-512's
True Dual exhaust with Magnaflow DI/DO muffler
<<< SOLD >>>
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-04-2006, 09:50 PM Thread Starter
6th Gear Poster

Garage
ya its lowerd 2in with intrax

post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-06-2006, 10:06 PM Thread Starter
6th Gear Poster

Garage
so u think that is all i need and or should get?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in