Several questions, please respond soon! - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-28-2006, 07:14 AM Thread Starter

Several questions, please respond soon!

Hey everyone,
I just got new front and rear brakes, with new discs on the front and repair to both rear drums. Now, I'm in need of new front ball joints (both sides) as well as front control arm bushings.. While this is done, I figured I would go ahead and get new shocks all the way around.. The thing is (and Ive priced around), the mechanics around here are charging out the arse on parts alone, not to mention labor.. So, I would like to save a few hundred by buying my own parts.. I want mid grade suspension- a step or two up from factory.. Also, I'd like to spend around $400 give or take on parts.. So, my question is, what all do I need for the job to be finished? I know I obviously need ball joints, but for the bushings, do I need the "kit", upper, lower to frame, or both upper and lower? Then, would the Monroe Sensa-Tracs (the $34 ones on racepages) be what Im looking for in the way of shocks? Lastly, I'm assuming I should get the adapters for the Monroes, but is it not needed for the rear? I only see "front right, front left, or just front". Thanks so much for the help thus far! I'm planning on becoming a member very soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-28-2006, 07:28 AM Thread Starter

-Deleted Post- I asked a dumb question, but still need help with the above please.

Last edited by xRellx; 11-28-2006 at 07:41 AM.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-28-2006, 07:41 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

my advice when it comes to front end work is to do it all at once so you only have to get an alignment once.

so you'll need upper and lower control arms, shocks, inner and outter tie rods, strut rod bushings, upper and lower spring isolators, maybe cam bolts (if yours are rusted in there), sway bar end links, and the bellows (i think thats what it is called) that goes over the tie rod.

doing all the work yourself will save you a boatload of money and its pretty easy to do yourself with some hand tools. only thing you would need a shop for it to swap out the springs.

hope this helps ya out.

oh, the control arms come with new bushings installed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-28-2006, 10:09 AM Thread Starter

If I can do it on my own, that would be great.. I dont have access to any power tools or anything though. Which manual would be the best for this type work?
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-28-2006, 11:06 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

i think most people get a haynes manual, and 99% of the work can be done with hand tools. (although power tools sure are nice!)
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-28-2006, 03:23 PM
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordFanatic
i think most people get a haynes manual, and 99% of the work can be done with hand tools. (although power tools sure are nice!)
I like the Haynes better than Chilton. I did my rebuild without any power tools. Just make sure you start spraying everything down with PB blaster (or equivalent penatrating oil) everyday for a few days before you do the tear-down. Also:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bangster
If you have a fast internet connection and the ability to burn your own CD, www.fordcds.com has the same thing, cheaper and faster (free and the time it takes to download it and burn it).

I personally like the Ford Service CDs, only some times do I find myself refering to All Data or a paper Chiltons or whatever other paper manual I have.
The Haynes will have short-cuts you can use without all the "special tools" the service CD will recommend. But the CD will have pics and better trouble-shooting and a wiring diagram. The 2 together, along with this site, should have all the info you need for this and anything else you want to tackle in the future.

Rob

02 AL PI 4.6L, 02 GT MAF and air box, SCT tune by lonnie.
2.25" true duals, no cats, Borla XS mufflers.
96 trans with 300HP + gear change J-mod, Mark VIII TC, & Hayden 30K GVW cooler.
Solid Rubber engine and tranny mounts. Polly front-end, tranny crossmember, and IRS bushings.
3.73 TL, 93 Mark VIII DS. Tokico Blues all around.
PBR dual piston calipers in front, Rear Disc Brake Swap.
97 console. Cooper 225/60/16s.
14.874 @ 93.56 with 3.27 before 3.73 upgrade
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-28-2006, 09:34 PM Thread Starter

Thanks a lot for your responses guys. It's appreciated.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-30-2006, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bangster
If you have a fast internet connection and the ability to burn your own CD, www.fordcds.com has the same thing, cheaper and faster (free and the time it takes to download it and burn it).

They offer various formats. Which is best?
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-30-2006, 11:57 AM
3rd Gear Poster

Only because no one has suggested it

You may want to check out rock auto as the parts supplier, their prices are reasonable. That is where I bought my moog upper arms.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in