Help Now Please No Ps Fluid Left!!! - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-04-2006, 02:58 PM Thread Starter

Help Now Please No Ps Fluid Left!!!

First snow and real cold when I left for work my power steering was extremely stiff and I could barely turn. Had to go but this am drive was only ten minutes, never got power steering to work.

Ran to the corner on break bought PS fluid dumped her in and it pissed out from the front center area of rack where there is something that prodrudes out(steering gear area??)

Now I have to leave in a few minutes on a 45min drive without any fluid. If the rack is screwed I don't care it's done and I can get home, but will no fluid in the pump cause a bearing to seize or are the pump bearings not lubed with PS fluid.

If I'm definitely going to blow something let me know. If it's 50/50 fine. Hopefully you'll tell me it can be done without any more damage than is already done. For the record I have driven about 10 mins with no fluid in the entire system.

Help please I need to make a decision in the next 15 mins.

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-04-2006, 11:01 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via MSN to twin turbo 281
I lost all my PS fluid on my way to Cali. In southern orgeon there was a loud bang of something bouncing under my car. I pulled over to find the pulley snapped off and a dangling belt. I drove it to the next town and had to stay the night until i could get a belt to bypass the pulley the next day. So yes it will sieze and the pulley will snap off!!

2x95 cougars to the scapper
97 F250 psd 4x4 dd twin charged
48 Gmc Detroit diesel 453t twin sticked
45 Chevy 451 detroit twin sticked
51 Mack A51T restoration
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-07-2006, 12:13 PM Thread Starter

If anyone cares I made it to my 45 min away destination. I started the car and drove 10 min to CanaTire where I bought a 5 gallon jug of ATF and proceeded to hit the hwy(at 120km/h no less) and stopped every 10 mins about or every second exit and dumped about a quart of fluid in the reservoir and down thru the system to cool the bearing(if there is even a bearing there). I stopped in total 4 times on an 85km trip and the final(5th) flush was in my yard where I gave it a larger amount engine on and off.

I was lucky to have my family following me and it was very cold every time I stopped. This was not a very relaxing drive or environmentally friendly drive, but I am happy the car is home(garage) and I will get under there to try and see the defective part when I get a chance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-07-2006, 02:11 PM
SuperNewbie

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to supergordo
glad that you made it safely. stuff like that is never fun. SOunds like you need a new steering rack though.

1995 Cougar XR7 4.6
1997 Thunderbird LX 4.6
1977 Country Squire 460
1985 Capri RS 5.0, 5spd
1997 Thunderbird 4.6
1984 Capri RS 5.0,5spd
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-07-2006, 02:27 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Nativedetroiter Send a message via MSN to Nativedetroiter Send a message via Yahoo to Nativedetroiter
Glad to hear it too, never fun when the car doesn't want to cooperate. Especially when it is cold.

Ya, its funny, Funny like a Clown.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in